By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if Nintendo and Apple merged?

Do you think it would be possitive?

No way. Don't like monopolies. 12 19.67%

No way. It doesn't help any of them. 9 14.75%

No way. I like what gaming is today. 10 16.39%

Yes, bring it on. 16 26.23%

If they merge, Sony will ... 5 8.20%

If they merge, Microsoft ... 8 13.11%

Total:60

yeah do it and you'll see the worst piece of HW ever made by ninty, the red ring would be a joke next to that one.... apple is probably the crappiest trend in terms of quality since the slap bracelet trend in the 80's..... (I work for an electronic component broker, can't start to tell you how cheap those bastard are when it comes to getting components for their HW, I'm sure some chinese counterfeiter buy better stuff than they do)... their price is 100% to cover their marketing cost.... not their production...

Around the Network

I would rather have good Nintendo hardware that works right than software that has to be updated continually and hardware that is funky.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Nintendo makes inexpensive reliable hardware that is sold based off of unconventional technology and creative ideas, Apple produces expensive unreliable hardware that is sold based on style rather than substance ... While there are some similarities with how these companies react within their markets, they really aren't all that alike.

What Nintendo needs to do is:

1) Set up a subsidiary in China that can develop libraries of graphical game assets based on their most popular IPs. Effectively, they should take all of their games that were released on the N64, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, and Wii and separate them by art style and take all of their assets and rework (or re-create) them to be well suited to 3DS or Wii U games. This should allow them to create similar games in these series in far less time because a large portion of the graphical assets will have been created ahead of time. There would be an added benefit as many of these games would require little additional work to be re-released as enhanced remakes.

2) Buy many independent developers, or struggling developers that are at risk of being shut down by their publisher, to ramp up their ability to create a large library in house; they should take particular notice of genres they haven't typically been strong in to ensure that they can provide a wide range of gameplay experiences regardless of how third party publishers treat their system.

3) Increase marketing budget to promote each platform. Use this money to create 60 second TV spots where you advertise the platform (~15 seconds) and 3 games, 1 of these games will be a Nintendo published game and 2 will be published by third party publishers. Use this "free" marketing as an incentive for further third party development.

4) "Lend" more first party IPs to third party publishers in exchange for greater third party support (in a similar fashion to what was done with the Gamecube and GBA).

HappySqurriel said:
Nintendo makes inexpensive reliable hardware that is sold based off of unconventional technology and creative ideas, Apple produces expensive unreliable hardware that is sold based on style rather than substance ... While there are some similarities with how these companies react within their markets, they really aren't all that alike.

What Nintendo needs to do is:

1) Set up a subsidiary in China that can develop libraries of graphical game assets based on their most popular IPs. Effectively, they should take all of their games that were released on the N64, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, and Wii and separate them by art style and take all of their assets and rework (or re-create) them to be well suited to 3DS or Wii U games. This should allow them to create similar games in these series in far less time because a large portion of the graphical assets will have been created ahead of time. There would be an added benefit as many of these games would require little additional work to be re-released as enhanced remakes.

2) Buy many independent developers, or struggling developers that are at risk of being shut down by their publisher, to ramp up their ability to create a large library in house; they should take particular notice of genres they haven't typically been strong in to ensure that they can provide a wide range of gameplay experiences regardless of how third party publishers treat their system.

3) Increase marketing budget to promote each platform. Use this money to create 60 second TV spots where you advertise the platform (~15 seconds) and 3 games, 1 of these games will be a Nintendo published game and 2 will be published by third party publishers. Use this "free" marketing as an incentive for further third party development.

4) "Lend" more first party IPs to third party publishers in exchange for greater third party support (in a similar fashion to what was done with the Gamecube and GBA).

I really like that concept to support devs.... should be done by all three competitors...