By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Developers that Microsoft needs to buy.

epicberserk said:
54NDM4N said:
IamAwsome said:

We all know about Microsoft's lack of first party studios. They have opened a few lately to make up for it, but I think that they should buy a few more to increase their first party power. With that being said, here is a list of first party studios that Microsoft should buy. 

1. Mistwalker

Why? Alright we all know who Mistwalker is, and we all know how the Xbox brand means absolutely nothing in Japan. Buying Mistwalker would partially solve this problem. They could make JRPGs and give the Xbox brand some meaning in Japan, and give their first party lineup some diversity. They are already funded by Microsoft, so why not?

2. Bungie

Why? I hate the idea of Bungie working under Activision. Their titles will get milked to death, and there is nothing that Microsoft can do about it, except maybe buy them back. If Bungie returns, Microsoft will have a proven Halo studio, instead of the unproven 343 Industries

3. Ninja Theory

Why? Just another developer to make Microsoft's first party offerings more diverse.

4. Epic Games

Why? Cliff Blezinski is an Xbox fanboy, Epic can make some pretty good games, and Microsoft would finally own the full rights to Gears of War. They can make several games at once, and would make a great addition to Microsoft's line of studios. On top of all that, they can make hardcore Xbox games. 

5. Crytek UK

Why? I think you all know why I named them. Most of the staff here used to work at Rare. They could revive Perfect Dark, and make that long-awaited Conker sequel. 

Others:

Remedy Entertainment

Infinity Ward (if MW3 doesn't do well)

Radical Entertainment

Twisted Pixel

Bungie:

They've stated they don't want to work on Halo forever, MS would milk them just as much as Activison.

Epic Games

Way to costly, granted they don't make much revenue in the software department (almost all is from 1 IP), they do make an insane amount of revenue liscencing their Unreal technology. Limiting it to 1st party and/or having MS charge obscene amounts of money would kill their position in a market they currently own.

Infinity Ward

If your talking about the leftovers of Infinity Ward still run by Activision than this would also be a bad buy. Less than half of the Devs who made COD4 work for IW anymore. 2 Activision will NEVER sell COD/MW brand.

A better idea (in my opinion) would be to hire West/Zampella, the people Activision pulled a LOL WHAT BONSES!?! on to make a new military shooter IP. This would be 1/10th the cost + proven developers.

and i guess you dont read often because west/zampella work at Ea and have their own new studio for ea it called respawn

Which hasn't produced anything yet, and is unlikely to dethrone the best selling game series ever. Simply put it would be cheaper for MS if they are (hypothetically) aiming for a first party military shooter with the talent that was originally behind modern warfare.

Around the Network

Developers Microsoft needed to buy: BioWare, Free Radical.

End of story.

On the topic of bungie, um . . . milked? Didn't they make, like, five games in ten years? Isn't that normal?

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

IamAwsome said:

We all know about Microsoft's lack of first party studios. They have opened a few lately to make up for it, but I think that they should buy a few more to increase their first party power. With that being said, here is a list of first party studios that Microsoft should buy. 

1. Mistwalker

Why? Alright we all know who Mistwalker is, and we all know how the Xbox brand means absolutely nothing in Japan. Buying Mistwalker would partially solve this problem. They could make JRPGs and give the Xbox brand some meaning in Japan, and give their first party lineup some diversity. They are already funded by Microsoft, so why not?

No, I don't think they can offer blockbuster western titles.

2. Bungie

Why? I hate the idea of Bungie working under Activision. Their titles will get milked to death, and there is nothing that Microsoft can do about it, except maybe buy them back. If Bungie returns, Microsoft will have a proven Halo studio, instead of the unproven 343 Industries

no, they're sick of Halo! All the talent would leave. MS should have let them do a new IP, no idea why MS couldn't negotiate this, idiots.

3. Ninja Theory

Why? Just another developer to make Microsoft's first party offerings more diverse.

No ....

4. Epic Games

Why? Cliff Blezinski is an Xbox fanboy, Epic can make some pretty good games, and Microsoft would finally own the full rights to Gears of War. They can make several games at once, and would make a great addition to Microsoft's line of studios. On top of all that, they can make hardcore Xbox games. 

They're huge, but as long as MS can hold onto Gears, they don't really need them.

5. Crytek UK

Why? I think you all know why I named them. Most of the staff here used to work at Rare. They could revive Perfect Dark, and make that long-awaited Conker sequel.

No opinion

Others:

Remedy Entertainment - Yes!

Infinity Ward (if MW3 doesn't do well)

Radical Entertainment

Twisted Pixel - also a good choice

Also Ruffian, expand and add some more talent, and give them bigger dev time and they could come out with a steller game.

IamAwsome said:

5. Crytek UK

This would be perfect. MS has a large budget, but lacks the ability to make anything outside of very western games (Shooters, Racing games, RPG's, and Party titles). Conker's Bad Fur Day was a platformer, it appealed outside of the US greatly, and Conker is a damn good mascot to brand the 360 with.

If most of Rare moved onto Crytek, then MS should definatly buy them. They could make a damn good Conker Platformer, maybe a sick ass fighting Killer Instinct, or a great shooter like Perfect Dark, or maybe a whole new IP. Also Banjo Kazooie, finally a game kids can play! MS could compete against Nintendo for once.

Finally MS could bring more diversity in with their games! They already do a damn good job on shooters nad racing games.

Also Mistwalkers is a good idea, but that would be a tough buy. The guy who invented Final Fantasy seems to me like he makes games out of passion, not money. It would make more sense to work with with Square Enix, Namco, Atlus, and Mistwalker, and force any PS3 JRPG exclusive to go multiplatform.

Crytek and Epic games are 2 damn good options. If not them, then maybe Silicon Knights (Eternal Darkness, Too Human), or something new. Nintendo helped develop Retro Studios, and that's been one of their most successful studios yet (Metroid Prime franchise and Donkey Kong Country Returns). Maybe MS could follow by developing a studio in Japan themselves.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

sony needs to buy mistwalker so gooch can make some awesome game on ps3 and actually sell

Around the Network

Honestly I don't see MS really buying anyone.

They've pretty much made it apparent that they aren't going to invest all that much in 1st party resources in terms of developers outside of a few big 1st party franchises and Kinect stuff.

BenVTrigger said:

They've pretty much made it apparent that they aren't going to invest all that much in 1st party resources in terms of developers outside of a few big 1st party franchises and Kinect stuff.

which is very sad

yum123 said:
sony needs to buy mistwalker so gooch can make some awesome game on ps3 and actually sell

i think microsoft would have some kind of veto on that because microsoft created mistwalker for sakaguchi so they have staked in them

epicberserk said:
BenVTrigger said:

which is very sad

Yeah I agree but look how much stuff like Halo and Kinect sells in comparison to stuff like Alan Wake and Lost Odyssey.  MS is seing huge profits on focusing on just a few things a lot of which isn't "Core" while not seeing much return on investment with more hardcore friendly titles.  While I wish it would be tons of strong new core IP's it makes sense what MS's strategy is.

BenVTrigger said:
epicberserk said:
BenVTrigger said:

which is very sad

Yeah I agree but look how much stuff like Halo and Kinect sells in comparison to stuff like Alan Wake and Lost Odyssey.  MS is seing huge profits on focusing on just a few things a lot of which isn't "Core" while not seeing much return on investment with more hardcore friendly titles.  While I wish it would be tons of strong new core IP's it makes sense what MS's strategy is.

yes i know the whole kinect strategy it works tho i have a kinect wit dance central and child of eden my buddy just bought one also today so yea it does work but wish they do some buyouts tho and idk y they dont buy twisted pixels makes me confused