By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Wii U not a threat that requires PS4, says Tretton

I can't see PS3 owners migrating to the Wii U, so he has a strong case.

As for the bolded, he won't believe that. He's doing his job, trying to make the PS3 seem more 'current' than it really is.

Around the Network

Jack Tretton is by far my favorite troll of late.

He really gots' beef with Nintendo. A couple months ago he called the 3DS a toddlers' toy and now he takes shots at WiiU.

I didn't even cringe this time reading Jack's statements. He's actually kinda' amusing.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

I think that the Sony will advance the PS familty further when the Wii U starts showing its true colors... If it ever does.

Love Jack, his the only Western PR guy that doesn't make my eyes take a 360 degree roll or basically sounds like an automatic Teleprompter reading machine. Keepin' it real and tellin' it how it is.

I'll admit that his advancement comment was odd.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

kowenicki said:

Nintendo Wii U not a threat that requires PS4, says Sony

Nintendo revealed nothing to suggest Sony needs new hardware, says bullish Tretton

"If you're looking at high def gaming, that was 2006 for us," said SCEA boss Jack Tretton, who reckons Nintendo's Wii U unveiling revealed nothing that spurs Sony into thinking it needs to release a PlayStation 4.

Speaking with Forbes on new hardware, Tretton said, "I think there's ground to be carved out for everybody. But I didn't see anything about Nintendo's announcement that said 'Oh, we'd better get working on rolling out a new PlayStation here pretty soon.'"

He went on: "Our attitude is kind of 'welcome to the party.' If you're looking at being a multimedia entertainment device, if you're looking at high def gaming, that was 2006 for us."

Besides that, Tretton explains that the PS3 has just started and that an evolutionary jump would, at this moment, be of minimal benefit. "PlayStation 3 is really just hitting its stride. And technologically, I don't think it's possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have," he said.

"What we've seen from the competition is trying to add features that already exist in PlayStation 3. We invested heavily in that, we rolled a very heavy rock up a steep hill, through the launch period. But now I think that all pays off, and we've got a long run way behind it. So, I wouldn't look for any discussion of a next generation PlayStation for quite some time."

The Wii U is Nintendo's next console, headlining with HD 1080p visuals and a controller equipped with a touch screen. Although Sony has said that the Wii U controller screen concept could be replicated with the PS3 and PlayStation Vita (the next-gen PSP).

Crytek has this weekend denied a rumour claiming it had begun development on next-gen hardware, saying its focus remains on current tech.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/308044/news/nintendo-wii-u-not-a-threat-that-requires-ps4-says-sony/

Good old Jack at it again.  Sony Execs have been on top form recently havent they.  Look at the underlined and bolded... lol!  I do wonder if they actually believe what they say  sometimes?

Of course there could be some small graphical upgrades, but for the high cost for them and the consumer, it wouldn't be a big enough jump at this moment.  I don't think a PS2 to PS3 jump would have happened.  He seems to have a decent case.

Around the Network

I see no problem with what he says... other than the bolded part, which is usual Jack.

The Wii U is yet to prove it can tKe support away from PS3 (or 360 for that matter), so he has no reason to worry.

In 2006 mankind was thrown back to the stone age and technology stopped evolving.

Next gen starts when Sony says so.

Nintendo says "PS Move? Welcome to the party!".

I think that's about all I can come up with right now...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

So Nintendo added features PS3 already had? Not the opposite? He should have stopped at Wii U not needing a PS4, the rest just doesn't make sense.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Carl2291 said:
I see no problem with what he says... other than the bolded part, which is usual Jack.

The Wii U is yet to prove it can tKe support away from PS3 (or 360 for that matter), so he has no reason to worry.

If you read between the lines, what he's really saying is a continuation of the "Wii is last gen" meme...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

ah, Tretton, by far the most insecure exec around. Always resorting to mud-slinging and chicken-hearted cheapshots.