By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Duke Nukem,what went wrong?

Too much developers and too much FPS eras... way too much.
From Doom, to HL, to CoD.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
hxczuner said:
From what I've heard in interviews with different developers over the years, 3D Realms kept wanting to do more and more with it. They truly wanted to innovate the genre (and make fun of the genre at the same time) as best as they could. We kept seeing new tech, new concepts, etc.. so you could imagine it would be hard to "innovate" as you watch other other developers and tech jump ahead of you. Basically, they had no direction and by the time Gearbox got their hands on it (and pushed it out the door) it was just a collection of loosely tied together bits of unrelated gameplay.

Duke's downfall was the development time. If the team had just set a goal and gone for it, regardless of what the industry was doing, we could've had a great game.

*It doesn't help that Randy Pitchford made the game sound like the second coming of Christ :/

He worked at 3DRealms and then he had to finish this mytical game, he was just surpassed by the circumstances (and being a fan of the franchise didn't help)

Overall I agree, if they released it at the time it could have been an excellent game, but it has gone through too many changes to finally end being coherent and good enough.

Yeah, obviously it's his job to make the game sound fantastic. And from his perspective, having been working on the game for so long, it probably did (does) seem like a fantastic game. But you hardly ever see an individual from a company put so much hype behind their game. (There're exceptions, but it's rare) To me, Randy stands out just a bit which didn't help the game's reception in any way.

3DS | 2363-5694-1881 | lpfisher