By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why can't I express my opinion?

Recently I've been banned from the forums for one day for calling a game that I honestly think is bad, "Poo." Why did I get banned for doing so? Does it make any sence it's almost as if I said a game I disliked was, "Bad or distasteful." I understand that the word, "Poo" may be a simplistic way to call something bad, but I don't see the harm in expressing my opinion on a game I think is bad, it's like if I call a game, "Good" and get slandered and shunned for doing so.

So people of the chartz, what do you think of the situation I've been in?

Also, the game I was calling, "Poo" was Kinect Star Wars and it was on my own thread which was, "Is anyone actually buying Kinect Star Wars?" Listed in the microsoft discussion.

Around the Network

I think mods in this site were offended by that word so much they banned you.

That was a silly reason to ban you unfair i say!

Anyone who's breaking the law is obvious a criminal.

kowenicki said:

there are ways to do things... your thread and your comments were poorly chosen.

but.... you have a point regarding how internet moderation works imo.

For instance if someone says something racist and I call them a racist I doubt I would be banned.

However, If someone is a troll and i call them a troll then I am banned...

so in the strange mind of the internet mod caslling someone a troll is worse than calling someone a racist.

weird world we live in now.

You can have an opinion, just don't word it in a way that's meant to annoy people. Things like:
"This looks awsome!!!
Oh wait it's kinect... and the e3 demo looked like poo."

come off as trolling while if you had said:
"Well personally I was unimpressed with the E3 demo and am still fairly sure that the game is on rails so I've lost all excitement for it, which is sad because like any Star Wars fan I would love to play a game with true 1:1 lightsaber action"

then you'd be ok. To me there's an obvious difference between those two.

Torillian said:
You can have an opinion, just don't word it in a way that's meant to annoy people. Things like:
"This looks awsome!!!

"Well personally I was unimpressed with the E3 demo and am still fairly sure that the game is on rails so I've lost all excitement for it, which is sad because like any Star Wars fan I would love to play a game with true 1:1 lightsaber action"

No there isn't a difference one is oversimplified and the other is a sentence or 2 of the same thing I said except much more formally, whom ever would post the way your example shows should also deserve to get banned according the rules here as it's completely bashing on the game, yet my obviously oversimplistic way got me banned a day. I beg to differ as to I shouldn't have been banned.

Around the Network
dany612 said:
kowenicki said:

there are ways to do things... your thread and your comments were poorly chosen.

For instance if someone says something racist and I call them a racist I doubt I would be banned.

so in the strange mind of the internet mod caslling someone a troll is worse than calling someone a racist.

You're a troll Kowenicki

(waits to be banned) So you mean even if you post a troll face and call them a troll you can be banned?  These moderators here are crazy.

I got banned once for saying someone's post was flamebaiting...and justified it by sayingI was just feeding a fire.

It's funny if I report you, you'll most likely get banned, so edit the comment! A moderator may take offense and report you.

blkfish92 said:
Torillian said:
"This looks awsome!!!

No there isn't a difference one is oversimplified and the other is a sentence or 2 of the same thing I said except much more formally, whom ever would post the way your example shows should also deserve to get banned according the rules here as it's completely bashing on the game, yet my obviously oversimplistic way got me banned a day. I beg to differ as to I shouldn't have been banned.

Feel free to bring it to Machina, but he'll say the same thing.  Trolling is largely based on apparent intention and one of those two statements is meant to continue a legitimate conversation while the other is just meant to insult a game with snide sarcastic remarks, one will get moderated and the other won't.  I probably would have kept to just a warning but I'm ok with Kantor's decision to go with a minimal ban.

I said the xbox (first one) sucked and I got a warning... I mean.... i'll shut up :]

blkfish92 said:
dany612 said:
kowenicki said:

It's funny if I report you, you'll most likely get banned, so edit the comment! A moderator may take offense and report you.

There o_O

Torillian said:
blkfish92 said:
Torillian said:
"This looks awsome!!!

Feel free to bring it to Machina, but he'll say the same thing.  Trolling is largely based on apparent intention and one of those two statements is meant to continue a legitimate conversation while the other is just meant to insult a game with snide sarcastic remarks, one will get moderated and the other won't.  I probably would have kept to just a warning but I'm ok with Kantor's decision to go with a minimal ban.

So I assume you don't want to fight the fact that I was injustly banned minimally? You do have the power to do so, yet again it would be a severe waste of time I'm sure, so in doing so you probably will not accomplish anything to begin with so I don't blame you really. It really bothers me to an extent how I will not recieve my, "Just deserts" so to speak.