By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Looking for Final Fantasy XI sale figures

Me and my friends are curious on the sale figures for Final Fantasy XI on all 3 platforms.

We tried looking around but all we can find is a very out dated number for the PC and PS2 does anyone know where I can find the more recent numbers that also include the Xbox360 sales?

I would really like to find somethng that breaks it down by system as well. 

Currently playing:
Wii: MySims | Xbox360: Halo3 / Pac-Man C.E | DS: Scurge | PSP: Ghost in the Shell

"Lesbians, Better then eMail."
~Lanky Man - My Big Fat Independent Movie

Around the Network

Here's some info for you. Maybe not all you wanted, but...

http://vgchartz.com/japtotals.php?name=final+fantasy&maker=&console=PS2

Japanese sales

Final Fantasy XPS2Square2,734,784
Final Fantasy XIIPS2Square2,328,910
Final Fantasy X-2PS2Square2,111,206

Final Fantasy XIPS2Square153,860

http://vgchartz.com/atotals.php?console=X360

Xbox360 USA sales = 156,250 (#60 on the chart)

http://vgchartz.com/japtotals.php?name=final+fantasy&maker=&console=X360

Xbox360 Japan sales = 16,172

I think these are really interesting numbers because they show the interest in MMORPGs in Japan very well.  Compare the other FF game sales with FFXI and you'll see what I think is a big reason why Nintendo has the belief that online doesn't matter so much. 

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Its sort of what I was looking for. Its defintly betternt then anything else I have found, Thanks.

Currently playing:
Wii: MySims | Xbox360: Halo3 / Pac-Man C.E | DS: Scurge | PSP: Ghost in the Shell

"Lesbians, Better then eMail."
~Lanky Man - My Big Fat Independent Movie

those numbers are so far off it is not funny....

Since mmo's are a subscription based game, the numbers are lower than normal, but then again you have to look at turnover and retention rates. to get rough BOXED sales...

MMORPG specific data site:

http://www.mmogchart.com

Quote:

Final Fantasy XI (Accuracy Rating: B)

FF XI was released in Japan on May 16, 2002, and then in North America on October 29, 2003. Square-Enix used to provide specific subscriber figures fairly regularly, but in recent years they’ve become much more reserved. They’ve also provided interesting census data figures in 2004, 2005, and 2006. However, the figures from these censuses do not always line up with other sources. For example, it’s unclear if FFXI passed 500K subscribers in January 2004 or April 2004. Recent documents from Square-Enix will only confirm “over 500,000 players”, but given the ratio of characters to subscribers in previous census, the true number could be closer to 700,000. For now, I’ve decided to go with 500,000 subscribers as the most reliable estimate, until I receive further guidance from the company.

You also have to think about retention and "churn" rate(churn= the ratio of active players canceling accounts vs new players buying the box and signing up). Retention Rate for a MMO this old is probably at about 30% or so over the life of the mmo. what that means, that of every person that has BOUGHT the game 30% are active subscribers.... so FFXI OVERALL in it's many releases (release ps2, xbox360, pc, releases of said with expansions) has probably sold AROUND 1.5 million units. or more.

the most SUCCESSFUL MMO to date is World of Warcraft, with currently 8.5 million active accounts. Box Sales are probably well in Excess of that number (excluding the expansion that came out in november)- cannot accurately judgebox sales for wow due to several regions having NO box to buy...( china for one -and ~3 to 4 million accounts are in the asian market)

Nice website.  I've never seen MMOs compared so well.  Most of those charge per month, too, so some of those companies are making a killing.

Nintendo not embracing online games = stupid. 

Around the Network

With initial box sales, mmo's are typically long term profitable.

basic numbers- average mmo takes ~5 million to make. most expensive mmo todate cost about 20 million.

100 thousand accounts= 5 million in box sales
+ 15 a month(which unlike the box sales ALL of it goes to the company made the game) or from month 2 on 1.5 million in gross revenue.

a mmo typically needs 50 thousand accounts to make a profit after all expenses. 

the first highly successful mmo - everquest- the developers were planning on breaking into hte black only after being on the market for a year or more...because they didn't think they would generate more than about 75 thousand active accounts - they were thinking niche market.

world of warcraft...generates -in the US & eu alone- approxiamately -between 52 and 60 million dollars in gross revenue- monthly.

lenardo said:

those numbers are so far off it is not funny....

Thanks for the interesting post, but you never explained why the numbers I posted (directly from this site's data, by the way) are "so far off it is not funny."  Do tell.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

The reason they are off is they only cover a small % of where FFXI sold well in.

Korean sales were big (I assume), no NA PS2 sales, no European sales. FFXI sold around the 1.5m copies as said, but VGChartz can only count for about 20% of that. Not that the numbers they give are inaccurate, but they are incredibly incomplete.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

i post the only reputable site that does mmo subscription data and it says(using SE's own number) that currently ffxi has in excess of 180 thousand ACTIVE accounts more than the data you provided and you cannot see where i am coming from?

i also include an approx. of the total box sales using retention rates and "churn factor" and explain what churn factor is...

subscription based products are different.

take a mmo- release it, sell 300 thousand boxes...the first month- at the end of the first month only 150 thousand subscribe to said mmo. that is retention (short term) of 50%. they announce that they sold 300 thousand boxes...which is true, but it is also true (assuming noone buys the game )  that they only have 150 thousand subscribers..

churn rate lets say every month said nameless mmo has sales of 600 boxes ,...and said mmo has 600 cancellations of said subscription ..that is churn,

actual Number of active subscribers per month says Static,,, but the number of BOX sales increases 600 a month... 

lenardo said:

i post the only reputable site that does mmo subscription data and it says(using SE's own number) that currently ffxi has in excess of 180 thousand ACTIVE accounts more than the data you provided and you cannot see where i am coming from?

I can see exactly where you're coming from and thanked you for the info.  I merely wanted to know why my numbers, taken off this site directly, were wrong.  But I see they weren't wrong at all, merely not the complete worldwide picture.  However, they were not labeled as being the whole worldwide picture, so I'm wondering why we are having this much ado about nothing and criticism of something never claimed.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.