By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - $20 dollar games for Wii, PS3 and 360

Most people on this post have a DVD player(work with me) How many movies do you own?? Do we not buy movies new/even at bargain prices to entertain? 

Ask yourself this question, If games generally cost between lets say 15.99 and 29.99, would you add to your library. The answer i think is "Yes" How often do we just buy a movie, because its 5 bucks or so to rent, and like 14 bucks to own whether it is an A movie or a B ?I can say this, If games were that cheap I think more systems would sell(price aside)?We as gamers read, previews updates etc. to see a possible pre judgement of a game. i can say my game library would be at least tripled. Some compnies have bargain games cause they have sold OVER A MILLION COPIES.  I think we would have more million copy sellers on our hands. i know there is production cost etc. but they can make it up in volume. Look what wal-mart is doing.

Does anyone think this would make people want to buy more systems/more games?

Around the Network

it woudln't make me buy more systems.  since i only buy a system if i see there are games i want to play.  but i will definitely buy more games.  like ssx blur, i really like the game. but compared to zelda, i rather buy zelda since it is a classic. but if the price of ssx blur is say even 25, i would buy it instead of rent it.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

This is the reason gamestop/eb games makes so much money.  Cheap games with high profit margin.

The reason game companies can afford to sell former best selling titles for $20/$30 is because they already have made back their money on the first million sold at full price.  And after selling so many copies, those games need to compete with themselves on the used market.  None of the publishers, developers, etc. make any money off second hand sales.  (I'm not crying a river for them, just stating a fact.)

While some people may pick up more games, I believe those people would be in the minority.  No matter if a game is $20 or $50, there's still only 24 hours in a day.  And we all have a lot of things to do.

There are a lot more variables to pricing, but I don't have the time to get into them now.  Just keep in mind that with ever increasing development costs its going to be less likely that you're going to see as many cheaper games this upcoming generation.

@Gamecraze - EB/GameStop makes most of their money on used games not new ones.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

whats the standard price of a video game in the US?

Around the Network

Jon, standard Wii Games are 50 dollars, and PS3/Xbox360 games are usually 60 dollars 

I can vouch for Steve.

Lets say you buy a game at EB games for 50 bucks. EBgames might make 2 or 3 dollars off that purchase. But if you trade that game in, you'll maybe get 15 dollars store credit. They will take that same game and sell it used for 30 dollars. Once they sell it off, then they will get 15 dollars profit. On top of that 3 dollars they initially made, they will make 17 or 18 dollars per game once it enters the secondary market.

I myself am a used game buyer. I will usually wait until a game is < 20 dollars before I get anything. There are rare exceptions. Ikaruga, for example, I think i paid like 30 bucks for it used because that game is impossible to find. I think the last full price game i bought was maybe Super mario strikers for 50 dollars. Everything else has been under 20 bucks.