By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U won't play GC games

IamAwsome said:
If you can emulate the Wii, you can emulate the Gamecube. Surely someone can make a hack to enable the backward compatibility.

But Gamecube discs are so tiny, the Wii U will probably choke on the disc.

Around the Network

Reggie claimed that WiiU can not re-render Wii games to HD resolution because how the games were designed. This is obviously wrong as Dolphin emulator on the PC does this and makes Wii/Gamecube games look stunning in 1080p.

Now this... Smooth Ninty.

not a big deal for me, i have a working Gamecube and Wii to use. At least, now i can delegate my Gamecube collection into my "retro" game room, alongside my NES and 64 hehe

i play my gamecube games a lot, so this sucks serious ass.

thetonestarr said:
In order to make it backwards compatible with GCN as well as Wii, they would have to incorporate GCN hardware into it as well as Wii. Multiple consoles' hardware is tedious and cramped.

They're probably not incorporating Wii hardware on the Wii U, because Wii hardware can operate in GC mode which is supposed to be how the Wii does backwards compatiblity. If they did incorporate Wii hardware, GC compatibility should be very easy.

I'm guessing they'll do some sort of emulation for the GPU and possibly the CPU (not sure if the Wii's CPU is binary compatible with POWER7 CPUs).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Who cares?

I don't think more than one generation should ever be a deal breaker. Its just too far back to care about. GC will be added to VC or keep your Wii.

I think the bigger issue with Nintendo is their lack of unification across all Nintendo platforms for VC and other downloadable games.

superchunk said:
Who cares?

I don't think more than one generation should ever be a deal breaker. Its just too far back to care about. GC will be added to VC or keep your Wii.

I think the bigger issue with Nintendo is their lack of unification across all Nintendo platforms for VC and other downloadable games.

Well, I care, for one. Not much, but it'd still be nice. Also, Gamecube controller support would be nice as well. That's probably my biggest concern.

As a collector, I kept my Gamecube after I got my Wii, and I intend to keep my Wii after getting a WiiU.

SW-5120-1900-6153

thetonestarr said:
superchunk said:
Who cares?

Well, I care, for one. Not much, but it'd still be nice. Also, Gamecube controller support would be nice as well. That's probably my biggest concern.

As a collector, I kept my Gamecube after I got my Wii, and I intend to keep my Wii after getting a WiiU.

This is the exact reason I say who cares. People who will play two generation old games will likely still have the hardware. I'd rather sell it all and rebuy for a cheap price on VC if I really want to relive the game. Keep in mind this is for games at least two generations old.

As it is, I only have 8 and 16bit games on VC. I have zero N64/GC in my library. Though I might buy some  I missed from GC if they go on sale for $10 or less.

I was going to buy a normal Wii anyway, I need to play GC games.

this kinda sucks and LOL to anyone who says that BC goes back to only one gen. PS3 says hi (the older model anyway). Not really a deal breaker for me. But i was hoping to play new Smash Brothers with GC control cause the other options suck. Im gonna do something unorthodox, im actually going to get rid of my Wii and replace that with a GC, i like it better anyway.