By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Would I like Red Dead Redemption?

I went to Metacritic and read the critic's reviews of the game, and I know they can't give it enough praise, but when I look at the player's reviews, there are some mixed opinions. First of all, I would like to know: Is it really just GTAIV with a new skin? I liked GTAIV mainly for it's online play, but the general concensus seems to be that RDR has poor online play, and the it is only successful in single player. The other complaint I have heard is that the game is simply boring. The controls are simplistic, and much of the game is spent riding your horse through open terrain doing nothing. Here are my views on some games that I think may be similar: Zelda is boring. I hate riding the horse, or sailing the ocean so much, that I want to stop playing it altogther. GTAIV is great for online play and messing around, but not following the story. Story is never really important to me in games, so I'm not concerned if RDR has a good story or not. Fallout 3 is AMAZING! I never get bored of it, and I could explore forever, doing the side quests for hours. Based on how I feel about those games, do you guys think that I would enjoy Red Dead Redemption?

Add me on Xbox Live: TopCat8

Around the Network

It's tough to say. My main reason for loving the game is that I actually felt like I was a cowboy. I know that sounds childish but the story and atmosphere sucked me in. As for being like GTA IV it is very similar but the story sucked me in more. I've never tried to be a good guy in the GTA series but RDR really makes you want to be the good guy because it fits the story so much better. The missions do have a good variety and they seem like stuff that have happened in the old west. Now of course one man in the old west would never experience all the stuff that happens in the game in real life but they do all seem plausible.

The riding the horse part is true but for me it sucked me into the game more because it's more realistic. This is where the problem lies. If you get sucked into the story then the horse part makes it that much better but if the story bores you then the horse riding becomes tedious.

I've never played online and wouldn't want to for this game, I bought it solely for single player.

If you liked fallout then I think you would like this game. The world seems alive and their is always damsels in distress or folks being hanged or cougars and bears trying to kill you. You can also waste hours hunting to earn a little extra money. There are also plenty of side quests scattered throughout.

I can't say you'd definitely like it but everyone I've lent it to loved it.

Never ever look at user scores.

Red Dead Redemption is amazing. A compelling a gripping single player with superb voice acting, action and gameplay.

The controls are tight and fluid, cutscenes are incredible and couldn't be done without great characters and extroadinary voice acting (I cannot emphasize that enough), lots to do all round from breaking horses, gang hideouts, hunting animals, etc.

Now my only complaint is one of the things you mentioned, online. My gripe was that I could never find people online when I entered the Multiplayer world. If only RDR had a Matchmaking system, it would've been quite possibly the most enjoyable game of last year, possibly ahead of my GOTY 2010, AC Brotherhood. But because I couldn't find any, I couldn't enjoy any of the multiplayer. However if you have friends on your friend's list and are willing to play together in co-op for example, then it becomes a blast. I just couldn't experience it myself. So find friends, posse up and then you'll have an amazing online experience with RDR.

This is all coming from a guy who never liked GTA games or Rockstar games in general and didn't like Western (as in Western Cowboy) settings and didn't know the game even existed until a month before launch. Red Dead Redemption is that amazing to convert a guy like me.

It really depends.

Do you have a pulse? If so, yes, you would like it.

To be slightly more serious, it does take a while to get going, and it can be a little bit slow at times. It never gets overly difficult, and it is slightly repetitive. Also, it's nothing like GTA. Nothing at all.

If you're fine with all that, and like what you've heard from the critics, go ahead and buy it. It's my third favourite game of 2010 (after ME2 and GoW3).

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

I don't like GTA (especially IV), but I thought RDR was very special. DEFINITELY worth a look.

ONE VERY, VERY, VERY IMPORTANT THING:

Auto-aim is 'on' by default so for the love of all that is holy switch it off!!!!!

The game is much better that way as the combat is a lot more fun.

You dont have to ride through the desert either. You can always camp and fast travel. thats what I would do.

At Op-

I love RDR but if you don't think much of GTAIV SP then I don't think you'll think much of RDR SP either. GTAIV had a lot of side quests (if quite repetitive). RDR doesn't have as many side quests but it does have more beautiful graphics. Can't comment on MP but if you like GTAIV MP then you'll probably dig it on RDR as well. They both share similar game play mechanics. The jumping, shooting, player movement heck even the game engine are all similar.

I didn't even want Red Dead Redemption. I looked at the previews last year with a big "Meh". I was just tired of open world games in general and GTA4 was a bit of a let down for me. How could I be interested in an open world game about cowboys?

Well, I was in Gamestop about a month ago and I had some store credit but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what to buy. There was literally nothing that I wanted that I didn't already own. So, with my patience running out, I just said "Fuck it." and bought Red Dead Redemption. Even after I bought it, I still went a couple of days withoug even playing it. But, when I finally sat down and gave it a shot, it was over. One shot, one kill.

That game sucked me in like no other. I was pissed that so many publications were picking RDR over Mass Effect 2 for game of the year, last year. I thought it was a repeat of the whole GTA4 syndrome where I didn't really agree with all of the praise it got. Well, after playing RDR, I'm a believer. I even went out and bought the Undead Nightmare DLC. Unlike my Lost and Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony discs, I actually think I'm going to play the Undead Nightmare content.

No, I didn't take RDR online but I hear it's really good. I say pick it up. I got the game for $30 and the bonus DLC for $20 (on a disc). Pick one or the other and I hope you get the feeling I got from the game. It was awesome.