By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Official Playstation Vita Thread! The Last Stand - Ys VIII, Mary Skelter, Yomawari Midnight Shadows, Persona 3&5 Dancing, Atelier Lidy & Soeur, DanganRonpa V3, Demon Gaze II & MORE!

How many vita games do you have in your library?

0-10 184 31.51%

11-20 109 18.66%

21-30 69 11.82%

30+ 215 36.82%

Total:577
Kresnik said:
BasilZero said:
Nothing wrong with depending on third parties, its what made the PS1 and PS2 such a beast imo.

I don't think the market is anything like that any more.  There's no amount of money you could offer a third party for exclusivity that would trump the sales they'd make from having it on a second/third system.  At least this gen, the HD twins are just too close to be relying on third-parties.

With that said, Microsoft rely on them.  But they've got their stable of four key franchises (Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza) which sell their specific system, and then rely on third parties for the rest of the stuff.  I guess XBLA is a selling point these days too; Kinect was for a period.

Anyway, point being is I don't think Vita can rely on them.  I don't think the Vita will be a failure and I don't think it's going to die, but it's going to be really interesting to see what things like Assassin's Creed/Call of Duty do for it.   Between them & Uncharted the thing has a fair lot of stuff going for it in the west, so it should start doing alright.  If they don't boost it, I don't see how much things like God of War, Gran Turismo and the other big Sony franchises are going to do for it.

And then there's Japan...!

Why does everyone say that?  I mean with the PSX it's true, but that's because Nintendo screwed up with cartridges, but in the PS2 era the majority of third party games from NA devs were multi platform.  There were exclusives from Japanese studios yes, but the majority of them were niche titles and you can easily say there's an equal amount of niche exclusives on the original X-box.  Though the GameCube wasn't as lucky.

Around the Network
Mmmfishtacos said:

Where do you live? I know they don't allow it in the Philippines.

hey, very good! I do live in the Philippines.

The bundles won't fly off the shelves at the rate they should without at least a 4GB memory card included. I'm a little disappointed with Sony's decisions as of late but the fact they're so calm about the Vita either means huge TGS news or that they make a decent profit off of the Vita as it currently stands.

You guys think that we'll have some annocement at pax in 6 days

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

darkknightkryta said:

Why does everyone say that?  I mean with the PSX it's true, but that's because Nintendo screwed up with cartridges, but in the PS2 era the majority of third party games from NA devs were multi platform.  There were exclusives from Japanese studios yes, but the majority of them were niche titles and you can easily say there's an equal amount of niche exclusives on the original X-box.  Though the GameCube wasn't as lucky.

There were exclusives from Japanese Studios, but they were really important exclusives that help shift a lot of hardware.  They weren't niche at all.  Things like Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry, Tekken were (and still are) big franchises.  I don't know how Sony got them to stay exclusive, but it's unlikely they'll be able to get them to do the same in the future.

You're right about the North American games being multi-plat, but again there were a few key ones that weren't.  GTA seemed to have some timed exclusivity deal with PS2.  There were many games that either PS2 + Xbox or PS2 + Gamecube got which the third system didn't, meaning the PS2 was often the most rounded choice.  Throw in a sprinkling of Sony's own highly successful franchises (Gran Turismo, Twisted Metal, Ratchet etc.) combined with all the other factors at play and they ran away with the generation.

I just can't see this kind of situation happening again, at least not for the next generation.  Consoles will probably be too close while they each go after their respective regional markets.  

Around the Network

First screens of MUD - FIM Motocross World Championship

More screens at http://electronictheatre.co.uk/ps-vita-2/ps-vita-images/23716/mud-fim-motocross-world-championship-playstation-vita-screenshots-revealed

It will be released on September 2012.

SnakeDrake said:
You guys think that we'll have some annocement at pax in 6 days

Nope. Maybe some psn games and new characters for Playstation all stars.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!

Kresnik said:
darkknightkryta said:

There were exclusives from Japanese Studios, but they were really important exclusives that help shift a lot of hardware.  They weren't niche at all.  Things like Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry, Tekken were (and still are) big franchises.  I don't know how Sony got them to stay exclusive, but it's unlikely they'll be able to get them to do the same in the future.

You're right about the North American games being multi-plat, but again there were a few key ones that weren't.  GTA seemed to have some timed exclusivity deal with PS2.  There were many games that either PS2 + Xbox or PS2 + Gamecube got which the third system didn't, meaning the PS2 was often the most rounded choice.  Throw in a sprinkling of Sony's own highly successful franchises (Gran Turismo, Twisted Metal, Ratchet etc.) combined with all the other factors at play and they ran away with the generation.

I just can't see this kind of situation happening again, at least not for the next generation.  Consoles will probably be too close while they each go after their respective regional markets.  

Metal Gear Solid 2 was ported to PC and Xbox.  Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, yes.  Devil May Cry didn't move hardware.  Tekken might have.  Devil May Cry and Tekken aren't big franchises anymore.  Square games were exclusive most likely because Sony had to bail them when the movie bankrupted them.  GTA had a time exclusive deal with Sony because Sony paid quite a bit of money for time exclusivity.  Doesn't change the fact that you could have gotten them on PC day and date.  And I don't know of any game other than RE4 that was PS2/GC exclusive, and that's a different story.  The PS2 sold what it did soley due to hype, nothing more.  Doesn't change the fact that the majority of the games could be played on the X-Box.

darkknightkryta said:

Metal Gear Solid 2 was ported to PC and Xbox.  Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, yes.  Devil May Cry didn't move hardware.  Tekken might have.  Devil May Cry and Tekken aren't big franchises anymore.  Square games were exclusive most likely because Sony had to bail them when the movie bankrupted them.  GTA had a time exclusive deal with Sony because Sony paid quite a bit of money for time exclusivity.  Doesn't change the fact that you could have gotten them on PC day and date.  And I don't know of any game other than RE4 that was PS2/GC exclusive, and that's a different story.  The PS2 sold what it did soley due to hype, nothing more.  Doesn't change the fact that the majority of the games could be played on the X-Box.

Okay.  So much to say about this post.  Firstly, were you actually gaming during the PS2 era? Just wonderin'.

PS2 sold on hype definitely, I never said any otherwise.  That doesn't change the fact that it got the exclusives and kept them for a reasonable enough amount of time that it mattered to the sales of the console.

@ the bolded parts, that's exactly my point.  Metal Gear Solid 2 was ported to the Xbox.  It was out on PS2 for a year before it came to Xbox, more than enough time for people to think 'Oh, I might as well get it for PS2'.  Same deal with GTA.  DMC & Tekken aren't big franchises anymore but they certainly were during the PS2 era and that's what we're talking about, we're not discussing the state they're in now (well, I'm not).

@ italics, you couldn't get them on PC the same day and date.  You had to wait 6 months+ for a PC version.  That was the whole point of Sony paying for timed exclusivity, that they would be exclusive to the PS2 for a time!

In terms of games that were PS2/GC exclusive:  Resident Evil 4, Code Veronica X, Viewtiful Joe, Crazy Taxi, Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, stuff like that.  Then there's the list of PS2/Xbox exclusives like Star Wars Battlefront, Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid etc.  Like I'm saying, it just all added up in the PS2's favour.

Also, Sony didn't do anything to bail Square when their movie failed.  Enix bailed them.  That's why they're called "Square-Enix" these days.  Not quite sure where you got that piece of information from :l

Anyway, the point of all this?  The industry, at least in terms of home consoles, just doesn't seem to work like that any more.  There are so few games that come out for either the PS3 or 360 and then get ported to the other system, they just seem to get developed for both and then come out at the same time.  There are some, sure - Bioshock comes to mind, Lost Planet was another.  They may have boosted the system in the short term, idk, but the way the consoles are aligned these days you wouldn't really see these kind of exclusivity deals any more (in my opinion).  And I think that's going to continue into the next generation.  There may be a timed exclusive here and there from third parties, but never with their biggest franchises like GTA or Metal Gear Solid got last generation.  Although Call of Duty may prove me wrong on that one if Activision stay chummy with Microsoft!

But we're getting off topic now.  In terms of how this affects Vita, the answer is probably 'not at all'.  The Vita's biggest weakness - and possibly its biggest strength - is that it probably won't be sharing cross-development with anything, except perhaps watered-down versions of console games.  Sony should be offering third-parties the chance to do things they wouldn't be able to on the 3DS, which they seem to be doing with Assassin's Creed for example, but how long this will last I have no idea.

spurgeonryan said:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/176348/As_Vita_sales_lag_a_new_publisher_goes_allin_on_the_handheld.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

As Vita sales lag, a new publisher goes all-in on the handheld

Thought you would all like that. Not sure if it was already post.

Thanks for the post Ryan.  But yeah, same idea with that publisher profiting more off of 3DS vs iOS, despite iOS' userbase.