By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony's PS3 and Nintendo's Wii price-war!

dpmnymkrprez said:

I think nintendo won't lower their price for a while, I read anarticle from a ladyh at nintendo and she said"If we knew demand was going to be this high, we would have raised the price by 50.

I think when Mario Galaxy comes out that will give nintendo another great lead.

I think you misread that interview ...

http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=12581 Asked whether Nintendo could've upped the US$250 retail price of Wii, especially given its demand, Kaplan replied, "There was definitely that possibility. There are so many people who are very much liking the system and while the price that it’s at is very much mass market we probably could have folded at a higher price but I think that it was always Nintendo’s intent to make it a product that is appealing to the mass market."

Around the Network

Back when Nintendo was working with the GameCube I read a quote from Nintendo saying that ever sense the NES Nintendo has allways tried its best to get its consoles to $99.99 usd.  They said that that was the price that people could make an inpules buy.  But when the GameCube reached the $99.99 price point there was alot of people comparing Sonys ps2 and Nintendos GC by price thinking that the GC was hafe what the ps2 was dew to the $199.99 price of the ps2.  So its up in the air, does Nintendo try to hit $99.99 asap or keep it high?  I'd prefer they milk the $249.99 as long as posible, because i know that Nintendo will take that money and put it into r&d and bigger buget first party titles.

Sony lost me when they put the Blur-ay into the ps3 and priced it out of my range.  Will it come down in price?  Yes.  But with Sonys push on high def playback and the anit consumer dmr statagy, I will be staying away from all of there products.

When ps2 and xbox were battling I was all agenst MS dew to there monopoly on pc.  Now that sony may be a monopoly with video content I went and bought an xbox360 and an hd dvd drive.  Though I wont buy any games for it i now have over ten hd dvd movies and I can stream audio video and pitchers from my pc.  So im happy with buying the 360.  Now I just need to find a Wii and I will be set. 

I don't believe Nintendo will initiate a price war, nor do they need to do so, nor would Sony flinch if Nintendo were to drop their price. Microsoft or Sony will be the culprit, the other one will follow, and it will be interesting to see if Nintendo does as well. Nintendo wants to have the cheapest console, but they don' t need to maintain a $350 advantage.

HappySqurriel said:
dpmnymkrprez said:

I think nintendo won't lower their price for a while, I read anarticle from a ladyh at nintendo and she said"If we knew demand was going to be this high, we would have raised the price by 50.

I think when Mario Galaxy comes out that will give nintendo another great lead.

I think you misread that interview ...

http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=12581 Asked whether Nintendo could've upped the US$250 retail price of Wii, especially given its demand, Kaplan replied, "There was definitely that possibility. There are so many people who are very much liking the system and while the price that it’s at is very much mass market we probably could have folded at a higher price but I think that it was always Nintendo’s intent to make it a product that is appealing to the mass market."

Thank you , you are right, and that is the article i was thinking of. Thanks for correcting me!

StarcraftManiac said:

/When PS3 sales pick up in speed however, Nintendo has ONE BIG trumpcard, pricepoint.

They could lower price to 200 US$ whenever they want. And if Sony decides to lower PS3 premium to 500 US$ They are starting a pricewar they can't win...

Sony fans are saying, wait for PS3 to lower in price, the point is; Sony will lose MORE money per sold PS3 unit and Nintendo could react ANYTIME, even to a point of 150 US$, which 'theoratically' makes Wii invincible (ow wouldn't that day be nice!)...

So, Nintendo could still deliver Sony a killer blow, even when PS3 sales were to pick up in speed...

What are your thoughts?

I think sony cannot afford to lower ps3 price until 2008...

but not to make race with nintendo.

the war now is only between sony and microsoft.

I don't see MS making a price war against nintendo...

Infact they'll release a premium pack at 500$(I read a news about this)... 

just to make price war to ps3...

Nintendo has no need now to lower  wii price....

maybe with "wii lite" launch...

or

maybe  they can make an HD-DVD version for 300$ and lower wii price to 200$...

maybe in june we'll know...

Around the Network

Sorry but i don't think a 100$ price drop is even gonna do that much for Sony.  I would argue that a 100$ price drop for Nintendo would raise demand a lot more than a 100$ price drop for Sony at this point. 

If sony is able to get it down to 400 or 300$ you may see the demand begin to spike though.  If you want to get those casual gamers you need to hit 200$.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Nintendo definately started out with having a low pricepoint compared to the competition in mind. But now that the system is out there and selling phenomenally, it's really not a concern anymore. Like they said, they could have sold it just as well were it more expensive.

When Sony reduces the PS3 price, it won't affect Wii sales in any which way, so why would Nintendo want to reduce profit on a hot selling piece of hardware?

Right now I think the price war is more important between the Ps3 and the 360, because in terms of the Wii, it's not a price war, it's a price slaughter. 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:

Nintendo definately started out with having a low pricepoint compared to the competition in mind. But now that the system is out there and selling phenomenally, it's really not a concern anymore. Like they said, they could have sold it just as well were it more expensive.

When Sony reduces the PS3 price, it won't affect Wii sales in any which way, so why would Nintendo want to reduce profit on a hot selling piece of hardware?

Right now I think the price war is more important between the Ps3 and the 360, because in terms of the Wii, it's not a price war, it's a price slaughter. 

I agree, the price war will be between MS and sony to duke it out for 2nd place. Nintendo is so affordable and interactive, that the price is solid. There is still a high number of parents who buy the systems for their kids, even the ps3 and 360. The wii appeals to men , women and children. With the price being so high for the MS and ps3, it gave nintendo a no competition as far as price. Lets not forget about the 3DO, it was I believe $800 when it came out. Yet everyone adopted the saturn/ps as a cheaper alternative. In MS/Sony's quest for glory on graphics, they forget about the gamers who make them who they are(price wise)and what they have become. They know graphics are improtant from a certain point of view. I applaud nintendo for being innovative, i applaud MS for being the first release in a price war, even ps3 for the graphics. Look at the 3do though, good graphics but other systems destroyed it.

Games are based on .Innovation, replay value and lets be honest, graphics to attribute to a game.

StarcraftManiac said:

Nintendo can, whenever they feel is necessary, lower the pricepoint of the Wii...

Why?! Because Nintendo earns money for every system sold. In comparison: Sony losses 200 US$ for every sold PS3.

At the moment, sales of Wii are going VERY GOOD! With 6.6 mil worldwide and waiting for NPD March figures (Wii could reach 7 mil within a few days).... In comparison, PS3 has (only?!) sold 3.15 million units... Which, in comparison, is not much.

However, i'm convinced (well, not convinced but i'd guess PS3 will pick up in sales in and after the holiday season of 07) But Nintendo has some nice games coming too, and will the gap be Too Great to close?!

If/When PS3 sales pick up in speed however, Nintendo has ONE BIG trumpcard, pricepoint.

They could lower price to 200 US$ whenever they want. And if Sony decides to lower PS3 premium to 500 US$ They are starting a pricewar they can't win...

Sony fans are saying, wait for PS3 to lower in price, the point is; Sony will lose MORE money per sold PS3 unit and Nintendo could react ANYTIME, even to a point of 150 US$, which 'theoratically' makes Wii invincible (ow wouldn't that day be nice!)...

So, Nintendo could still deliver Sony a killer blow, even when PS3 sales were to pick up in speed...

What are your thoughts?

Edit: I'd like to see what HUS has to say about this (Plz, not some stupid answer like: PS3 is better, no matter what and then give the argument 'You'll see')...

you really are a kiddy joke.

they will cut their profits in half just because sony cuts the PS3 price by a 100 or even 200

... the 360 Core is $300 you dont see Nin cutting price do you.   A $400 Ps3 is still alot more then the kiddy toy.

its nice you Nin fanboys got to come out of the closet after 12 years of getting owned but it wont last.

Hus said:
StarcraftManiac said:

Nintendo can, whenever they feel is necessary, lower the pricepoint of the Wii...

Why?! Because Nintendo earns money for every system sold. In comparison: Sony losses 200 US$ for every sold PS3.

At the moment, sales of Wii are going VERY GOOD! With 6.6 mil worldwide and waiting for NPD March figures (Wii could reach 7 mil within a few days).... In comparison, PS3 has (only?!) sold 3.15 million units... Which, in comparison, is not much.

However, i'm convinced (well, not convinced but i'd guess PS3 will pick up in sales in and after the holiday season of 07) But Nintendo has some nice games coming too, and will the gap be Too Great to close?!

If/When PS3 sales pick up in speed however, Nintendo has ONE BIG trumpcard, pricepoint.

What are your thoughts?

Edit: I'd like to see what HUS has to say about this (Plz, not some stupid answer like: PS3 is better, no matter what and then give the argument 'You'll see')...

you really are a kiddy joke.

they will cut their profits in half just because sony cuts the PS3 price by a 100 or even 200

... the 360 Core is $300 you dont see Nin cutting price do you.   A $400 Ps3 is still alot more then the kiddy toy.

its nice you Nin fanboys got to come out of the closet after 12 years of getting owned but it wont last.

That last part right there, guess i was right...

'Edit: I'd like to see what HUS has to say about this (Plz, not some stupid answer like: PS3 is better, no matter what and then give the argument 'You'll see')...''

Thats just what i thought you'd say, not giving any facts to strenghten your arguments...

THE NETHERLANDS