By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 Numbers don't add up!

Hi Everyone, I read the post on the first 2 pages, and skipped the third (u guys repeat a lot of the same stuff). I wanted to help clarify one thing, something that didn't add up. The "rest" of NA is higher then 10% Reason - Canada is 1/10 of the US population, but is also more tech savy (Highest per capita in HD TV, Digital Stations, highest penetration in High Speed Internet... the winters are long and cold in Canada). Canada could be between 10%-14% of US sales. I'm pretty sure a couple mexicans have bought games also... 6%-10%(this is a big guess.. wouldn't know where to find sales figures for Mexico) I also wanted to point out the CTV article quoted is from the 2005 Launch... Canada only sold 10% of sales compared to the US because that's all it received for the launch.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

gebx said: Hi Everyone, I read the post on the first 2 pages, and skipped the third (u guys repeat a lot of the same stuff). I wanted to help clarify one thing, something that didn't add up. The "rest" of NA is higher then 10% Reason - Canada is 1/10 of the US population, but is also more tech savy (Highest per capita in HD TV, Digital Stations, highest penetration in High Speed Internet... the winters are long and cold in Canada). Canada could be between 10%-14% of US sales. I'm pretty sure a couple mexicans have bought games also... 6%-10%(this is a big guess.. wouldn't know where to find sales figures for Mexico) I also wanted to point out the CTV article quoted is from the 2005 Launch... Canada only sold 10% of sales compared to the US because that's all it received for the launch.
Interesting info.. thanks! It kind of goes along with what I've been saying all along (that Canada and Mexico would have to account for more than 10% of the US totals).

Monty said: In my book, it's highly unlikely that much more of 10% of every Xbox 360 ever made is still on store shelves.
Just throw your book away. Sold/shipped margin in the worldwide sales just can not be less than 10%! So the numbers in vgcharts.com do not represent the current sales, but they are clearly much more realistic than other ones I've seen so far. NPD will tell exact ones this week, AFAIK.

Natural Cause said: It's probably closer to 50k since they don't include internet sales and some major stores. This website is as inaccurate as nexgenwars.com. Anyone who uses this site as a source of sale trends is stupid.
No. Japan sales are recorded weekly and very accurately. They're the most accurate numbers to go off of, they are probably more accurate than NPD is for North America.

Monty said: Interesting info.. thanks! It kind of goes along with what I've been saying all along (that Canada and Mexico would have to account for more than 10% of the US totals).
You know Canada and Mexico could be listed under "others" on this site. It says, Europe and Others, which includes nations like Austrilia. Also, Canada only recieved 8% of the total PS3, Wii, and 360 shipments at their respective launches, I don't think it is as high as you all think.

Around the Network

relapse said: to them whether or not those 10.4 are in the hands of consumers will not net them any further money as they have already received it. All companies use these Nintendo calls it shipped totals while Sony and Microsoft use sold, its all the same and as I just said before technically they have been sold as Microsoft have received the money for them.
This statement is wrong. It DOES matter if it is in the end consumers hands. Hardware sales are not what make profits on consoles, it's software sales. And now, thru things like XBL, also purchases online. So I guarentee you it does matter whether the end user has it or not. Because if it is just sitting in a store, even though it has been purchased, it's not making them any money.

gebx said: Hi Everyone, I read the post on the first 2 pages, and skipped the third (u guys repeat a lot of the same stuff). I wanted to help clarify one thing, something that didn't add up. The "rest" of NA is higher then 10% Reason - Canada is 1/10 of the US population, but is also more tech savy (Highest per capita in HD TV, Digital Stations, highest penetration in High Speed Internet... the winters are long and cold in Canada). Canada could be between 10%-14% of US sales. I'm pretty sure a couple mexicans have bought games also... 6%-10%(this is a big guess.. wouldn't know where to find sales figures for Mexico) I also wanted to point out the CTV article quoted is from the 2005 Launch... Canada only sold 10% of sales compared to the US because that's all it received for the launch.
Well lets repeat our selfs one more time. It would be cheaper for mexicians to import the machine than to buy it in their store. That means a portion of mexicos xbox buyers are counted but only as in america. Your reason for canadian to buy an xbox is flawed and here is how. If they are tech savvy then they would be buying more PC gaming rigs and since most xbox games go to PC. And because they are tech savvy and want the best gaming rig (winters are long and cold in Canada) they would know this and would not buy a xbox to sit in a corner.

Stromprophet said: Natural Cause said: It's probably closer to 50k since they don't include internet sales and some major stores. This website is as inaccurate as nexgenwars.com. Anyone who uses this site as a source of sale trends is stupid. No. Japan sales are recorded weekly and very accurately. They're the most accurate numbers to go off of, they are probably more accurate than NPD is for North America.
I'm not even sure what to say anymore... everytime I read something in this thread that makes me shake my head and laugh, I read one thing even funnier. I think the claim that vgcharts is more accurate than the NPD might now be my all time favorite! It's getting to the point where I'm now starting to think you guys are just screwing with me and you don't really believe what you're saying. How can anybody sane believe some of this stuff?

Stromprophet said: You know Canada and Mexico could be listed under "others" on this site. It says, Europe and Others, which includes nations like Austrilia. Also, Canada only recieved 8% of the total PS3, Wii, and 360 shipments at their respective launches, I don't think it is as high as you all think.
I'm going to go out on a pretty strong limb and guess that when vgcharts says "the Americas" they mean more than just the US, which is just one "America" by my last count. The fact they added an "s" to the end leads me to believe that unless there is more than one USA, they are tallying the stats for all of North America. A more interesting thought would be that they are including South America and thus there total for the "Americas" is even more horribly off than we all originally thought. Hmmmm.....

Stromprophet said: relapse said: This statement is wrong. It DOES matter if it is in the end consumers hands. Hardware sales are not what make profits on consoles, it's software sales. And now, thru things like XBL, also purchases online. So I guarentee you it does matter whether the end user has it or not. Because if it is just sitting in a store, even though it has been purchased, it's not making them any money.
Well, the statement is not completely wrong, Strongprophet. MS can't sell 10.4 million consoles to retailers if nobody is buying them. To them, if they can sell those 10.4 million consoles, that means there is a market for them. As I posted in another thread, Robbie Bach stated that the "sold" figure only includes those sold to retailers, not those units sitting in a warehouse. He said that the actual number of those in households is very close to the same number.