By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Downloadable and Episodic Games

What do you guys think of downloadable and eposodic games. I think it is the best route for the industry. Just like how movies started and then alnog came tv show, i think the same revelation in gaming is about to happen. If this happens I believe that it would propel gameing into the mainstream faster than anything. Just imagine EA making a game it dosn't have to have high production value its just the TV equvilant to an epic game. I think it would be sweet if they just focused on story and gameplay, then make like 12 weeks of the game and started releasing them one a week. All each download would have to be is like an hour worth of the game. As thouse were releasing they could make the last 12 weeks of the season. This is very much how they make tv shows and as long as they didn not try and make a really high quality title it could be cheap and quick to do. I think the best way to kick somthing like this off would be to start with a show already well known like 24.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

It depends. If they have an entire story in mind it might be interesting. But if gamemakers fall into the same trap that TV shows do, then it might be a disaster.

An example would be like half life 2 episodic content. If in one game it is revealed that G0man is freemans father from an alternate timeline in another dimension and the aliens that were invading were actually the equivilent of monkeys on their planet. That might ruin the series enough for you to not want to continue because you feel that they could not recover from that. As a gamer if I just spent money going through 10+ episodes to come across an episode like this..... I might be mad. Mad enough to not support the comany in their next endeavor. 

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Downloadable games is also a way for smaller devs to make some easy money off to the side while they make their epic games. It also allows for user created content which would be awsome for gaming. The PS3 and 360 are not the death of small developers like many have claimed, in fact it is the rebirth of them. They just have to know their place. They have an oppertunity know to make this their market. If these small devs take advantage of the massive oppertunity they have beeen given we could see more games this gen than we have the last 10 years. Let the big hitters make their Halo, GTA, God of War, and such their is plenty of room for the TV shows of gaming and I can't wait to play them.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Very true. That is why they would make these titles completely story drivin and simple to play through. I believe valve went the wrong way with episodic content. They needed to make a hole new series with a simpiler production value. I think if you are trying to push a system with it it will kill the idea, but if you are just putting out a game with PS2.5 graphics and a great story it would work way better. I mean how many times has episoed 2 been pushed back? It has been so long since the first one that it is almost like really high production budget game with to little content once a year. This is a very bad model and has put a sour taste in the gamers mouth on episodic content. I know this is somthing that gamers would have to give a little time to be perfected, but once that simpsons quality game comes out it will change the face of gaming forever. Also I don't think going exclusive would be the best road for this model either just to put that out their.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

One has to be careful of the Shenmue effect.

Get to a huge climax in a story at the end of game two...and game three gets canceled.

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355