By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Anonymous hacked Iran

source

Anonymous makes off with scanned passports from Iran, 10k e-mails

One of the scanned passports obtained by Anonymous

In the run-up to the June 15th anniversary of the 2009 Iranian presidential election—elections met with widespread protests amidst widespread claims that the result was rigged—Anonymous has stepped up its electronic attacks on Iran. In a break from the loosely affiliated group's more common denial-of-service attacks, the group announced that it has stolen more than 10,000 e-mails from the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The published e-mails, available via BitTorrent, appear to all relate to visa requests made by non-Iranians. The Ministry's website used for making visa applications requires scans of passport pages and other supporting documentation, but limits the size of uploaded images to just 40KB. This in turn leads to many rejections of applications and follow-up e-mail correspondence between applicants and government officials to remedy the problems. As a result, many of the e-mails include large scanned images of passports to provide the information requested.

Specific information about the hack is unavailable. Participants of OpIran, the brand name used by Anonymous for its Iranian activities, say that the Iranian servers have only been sporadically available for the past few days, interfering with hacking activity—activity that is still ongoing. Information seen by The Next Web indicates that at least one mail server is under Anonymous control.

For the anniversary itself, a number of distributed denial-of-service attacks are planned against Iranian targets. The planners are at present being cagey about what the targets will be, saying only that any domain ending in .ir that is not media-related is a legitimate target.

Around the Network

Limits the size to 40KB?

Hell, it'd be easier to photoshop up a fake passport rather than cram something from any market-available scanner down to that size, damn.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Ha, Those guys are crazy.

I think they're trying to get into everyone's good side now.

Anyone who's breaking the law is obvious a criminal.

Wait, what does Anonymous have against Iran?

Around the Network

And people hate on Sony's security...

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Well finally Anonymous targets a legitimate target. I hope they steal tons of info and leak it online. Maybe this will redeem them for their much hated other attacks. But then again cyber terrorism is cyber terrorism whether it is aimed at an Allied country (NATO) or at an enemy! But its less annoying when your enemy is the one being targetted!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer