By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: NGP can't compete with smartphones

osamanobama said:
Rainbird said:
osamanobama said:

Sony needs to MAKE it a SMARTPHONE. hopefully with theeir next revision.

reduce the screen size to ~4.2 inches, make the screen slide up. the only problem i can see is getting the analog sticks housed inside when the phone is slid closed. but im sure sony could figure it out.

it would be perfect it could be like iTouch/iPhone.

they could have the big 5 inch NGP, and then the little smaller 4.2 inch NGPhone.

that way they could compete with the smartphone market

No, that's exactly what they shouldn't do. Did you even read the OP?

yes, they cant compete with smartphone because its not a smartphone.

Make it a smartphone and then they can compete.

it would definitely by an NGPhone. having my phone and awesome game console all in one device, my life would be complete, it would sell like crazy.

i think most people now are like, well i already have a phone, that plays games, why do i want/need another device. its just clutter

But making a smartphone version wouldn't work, it wouldn't be good enough as a smartphone to compete for the years to come. It's too big and the hardware requirements to make it work properly would compromise the gaming experience.

They're making it a good gaming console by not making sacrifices and trying to be a smartphone.

Around the Network

Just bought the Xperia Play, I cannot wait for the NGP to accompany it :)

<a href="http://b0c40pmhv4t-qfuimlmmqex5q0.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=WT5K3KF3" target="_top">Click Here!</a>

Rainbird said:
osamanobama said:
Rainbird said:
osamanobama said:

Sony needs to MAKE it a SMARTPHONE. hopefully with theeir next revision.

reduce the screen size to ~4.2 inches, make the screen slide up. the only problem i can see is getting the analog sticks housed inside when the phone is slid closed. but im sure sony could figure it out.

it would be perfect it could be like iTouch/iPhone.

they could have the big 5 inch NGP, and then the little smaller 4.2 inch NGPhone.

that way they could compete with the smartphone market

No, that's exactly what they shouldn't do. Did you even read the OP?

yes, they cant compete with smartphone because its not a smartphone.

Make it a smartphone and then they can compete.

it would definitely by an NGPhone. having my phone and awesome game console all in one device, my life would be complete, it would sell like crazy.

i think most people now are like, well i already have a phone, that plays games, why do i want/need another device. its just clutter

But making a smartphone version wouldn't work, it wouldn't be good enough as a smartphone to compete for the years to come. It's too big and the hardware requirements to make it work properly would compromise the gaming experience.

They're making it a good gaming console by not making sacrifices and trying to be a smartphone.

why wouldnt it be good enough as a smartphone. if it is the same thing just with Android OS, and some other bells and whistles, it will be a great phone.

and i already said make it smaller like a 4" screen instead of 5, make the buttons be concelled by the sliding mechanism.

2 models, the bascially NGPad, and the the much more portable NGPhone

@Winters

Wow, I thought I was the only one on Vgc (no one talks about it) who bought the xperia play. What games are you playing on it?

OT: It's good that they're focusing on gaming. They need to make the ngp as unique as possible.

osamanobama said:

why wouldnt it be good enough as a smartphone. if it is the same thing just with Android OS, and some other bells and whistles, it will be a great phone.

and i already said make it smaller like a 4" screen instead of 5, make the buttons be concelled by the sliding mechanism.

You can't just slap Android on it and call it a day though.

The games have to be compatible with both the smartphone and non-smartphone devices, and Android takes up way more ressources than a small gaming dedicated device ever will. And making a smaller device may not even be possible right now with the hardware that is inside it. Getting it that much down in size is probably not possible right now.

Making a smartphone version would be a vaste of time and money, and Sony knows this. That's why they didn't do it.

Around the Network

This is a test.

This is a second test.

This is a third test.

I agree with his initial assessment. However, I still see no reason to purchase a NGP or a 3DS. I gladly gave my money to Sony and Nintendo in the last generation but they so far failed to sell me their new gadgets. Problem is, many of the best PSP games would be better in the PS2 or PS3 as they don't translate well to a portable experience. In the other hand, the most casual games are pretty well served by my iPad or iPhone. As such, I don't see any good reason to buy a dedicated portable gaming machine. They will have to do better to win me back.

Rainbird said:
osamanobama said:

You can't just slap Android on it and call it a day though.

The games have to be compatible with both the smartphone and non-smartphone devices, and Android takes up way more ressources than a small gaming dedicated device ever will. And making a smaller device may not even be possible right now with the hardware that is inside it. Getting it that much down in size is probably not possible right now.

Making a smartphone version would be a vaste of time and money, and Sony knows this. That's why they didn't do it.

thats why i said with a revision, when the chips are smaller, it doesnt over heat, and the cost to manufacture is cheap enough.

its smart what they are doing now, it has to be this big so it can have big "cheap" parts. that keeps the costs down, but if they want to stay relevent, they will need the NGPhone