By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Splinter Cell vs MGS

I own MGS1-3 for ps2 and splinter cell 1-4 for XB1. That might sound like I love those games but I never finished sc1 and haven't opened 2-4 and never played mgs3. I don't really like sneaking around but it didn't stop the games from being good. I like the SC graphics and look but of course MGS story and villians was better. I'll just say MGS though as you can read I can't make a proper comparison since I haven't actually played all the games.

Around the Network

well ive played all the games from the series and first i liked SC more but then after playing subsistence i like the MGS series a little more

sieanr said:

Odd, everything I've heard is that Twin Snakes is an excellent port. Then again you said that the PS version of MGS is the definitive one, which simply isn't true. Even if you discount the GC port, the PC version of MGS released at the same time is still as the PS version is still superior.

And I didn't play MGS3 with a "corrupted mindset" I just happen to realize that the game relishes in its own conventions far too much. Also, its story has gotten dumber.

Twin Snakes is an excellent port? Come on...

It completely lacks the atmosphere the original release offered and the MGS2 controls and graphics didn't help, but actually made the game worse as it didn't fit the concept. That aside, the voice actors and music in the game are far inferior to the original. 

How the hell can you call the PC version the definitive version when Psycho Mantis couldn't read from your memory card, couldn't make your controller vibrate and you couldn't switch controller ports to make him unable to read your "mind"? These are the main reasons as to why people hold the game in high regard and especially the Psycho Mantis boss battle. It also featured some other minor issues. If there's a definitive version of Metal Gear Solid 1, it's the Playstation version.

How exactly does MGS3 rely on the series' own conventions? It featured a drastic gameplay change compared to it's predecessors and in terms of setting they're not even comparable. And the story is simply great, as well as it's presentation. I really don't see how it got any dumber. I really don't... I hope you can elaborate your feeling on that.

Twin Snakes is a good port ???

MGS experience is linked to 3D cinematics
Correct me if I m wrong, but I have seen the cinematics of the GC version, and it was AWEFULL, simply AWEFULL (only matched by Mission Impossible 2, the movie)

About Splinter Cell, this summary pretty well the Hollywood BS :
Another "colgate smile" face without any soul ...

Time to Work !

I don't really like the Splinter Cell Series, not because I like the MGS4 series; I believe you can like two games in the same series. It's just that Splinter Cell is always been about different moves Sam could do like split jumps, etc. But the whole game just wasn't executed in the best way. Snake/Raiden could do less, but it was pulled off where it felt like a more cohesive experience.

Around the Network
StarcraftManiac said:

Conviction is X360 exclusive (temporarily at least...)

There will be a port for sure. Same situation with Haze.

iberz said:
GooseGaws said:
iberz said:
I know a bunch of Sony fanboy's are probably gonna want to butcher me now, but I had MGS 2 for my Xbox and personally I thought Splinter Cell was better. Now am I the only person on this whole site who think Splinter Cell: Conviction will be better than MGS 4.(There will probably be a few yes's). No but seriously I think people don't ever give the Splinter Cell series the credit it deserves. It was the first REAL stealth game and sadly the sales are never as good as they should be.

"First real stealth game"? Sorry, but Splinter Cell didn't come out until 2002. Even if you ignore Castle Wolfenstein, the original Metal Gear came out in 1987, some 15 years earlier.

Stuff like Thief, Tenchu, Deus Ex, and both MGS 1 & 2 also predate Splinter Cell.

EDIT:  I guess Played_Out beat me to it.  Curses, foiled again! 

No one can deny that Splinter Cell revolutionised the stealth genre. I mean lockpickin, shooting out lights to remain hidden, the way you could knock people out and have to HIDE bodies I mean come on that took being hidden to just a hole new level. The only part of Splinter Cell I ever found annoying is the fact that no one ever noticed three lights floating around in mid-air. With MGS 2 I always felt that the stealth aspect was slightly half-baked. I mean those boss fights they had with the firing rockets at them huge robots was just to unrealistic. Plus for me on hard difficulty I alway's felt that the experience was brilliant. The game was never lenient put it wasn't impossible to complete either.

Sorry but Metal gear on the SNES let you move around bodies not to be seen and shooting out lights have ben around since MGS2.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Personally, I would choose the first Metal Gear Solid game over any Splinter Cell or even the subsequent MGS games. The first one was just too cool. From the radio conversations which could be very funny at times to the bosses who were out of this world. Sam Fisher is a pretty boring guy

Mario Kart Wii - 4983-6029-9877

Wii code- 4257-3204-4481-2949