By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Splinter Cell vs MGS

I know a bunch of Sony fanboy's are probably gonna want to butcher me now, but I had MGS 2 for my Xbox and personally I thought Splinter Cell was better. Now am I the only person on this whole site who think Splinter Cell: Conviction will be better than MGS 4.(There will probably be a few yes's). No but seriously I think people don't ever give the Splinter Cell series the credit it deserves. It was the first REAL stealth game and sadly the sales are never as good as they should be.

Currently Playing: Gears 2, World at War, GTA IV, Banjo Nuts and Bolts

The Greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Stephen Hawking

Around the Network

I've played both games for a while now and I just like the SC series better, maybe its has to do with MGS feeling extremely contrived, but whatever it is I like Sam Fisher a lot more than Snake....but thats just one opinion and I happen to like both games anyways.

Although both have gotten a bit stale lately. 

To Each Man, Responsibility
iberz said:
Now am I the only person on this whole site who think Splinter Cell: Conviction will be better than MGS 4.

Ok, I can understand your feelings. Personally I like Syphon Filter (PSP) better than MGS:PO. It's still awesome game though. Even if SF has the edge I would really miss playing Portable Ops... If you like Splinter more it's fine but I think you try to convince yourself that lack of MGS4 on X360 isn't painful. I'll be able to check both games out on my PS3

In my opinion, nothing compares to MGS. Splinter Cell is a one-a-year quick buck, MGS is a four year high budget production.

kber81 said:
iberz said:
Now am I the only person on this whole site who think Splinter Cell: Conviction will be better than MGS 4.

Ok, I can understand your feelings. Personally I like Syphon Filter (PSP) better than MGS:PO. It's still awesome game though. Even if SF has the edge I would really miss playing Portable Ops... If you like Splinter more it's fine but I think you try to convince yourself that lack of MGS4 on X360 isn't painful. I'll be able to check both games out on my PS3

conviction is an X360 exclusive.

Currently Playing: Gears 2, World at War, GTA IV, Banjo Nuts and Bolts

The Greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Stephen Hawking

Around the Network
iberz said:

conviction is an X360 exclusive.

Shame... hmm, it will be released for PS3 for sure. It is only matter of time. It's UBI.

What do you mean by saying Splinter Cell was the first *REAL* stealth game?
It came out 15 years after the first Metal Gear, which was arguably the first true stealth game.
I haven't played SC as I'm not a fan of stealth, but what exactly did it do that made it *REAL*?

iberz said:
I know a bunch of Sony fanboy's are probably gonna want to butcher me now, but I had MGS 2 for my Xbox and personally I thought Splinter Cell was better. Now am I the only person on this whole site who think Splinter Cell: Conviction will be better than MGS 4.(There will probably be a few yes's). No but seriously I think people don't ever give the Splinter Cell series the credit it deserves. It was the first REAL stealth game and sadly the sales are never as good as they should be.

"First real stealth game"? Sorry, but Splinter Cell didn't come out until 2002. Even if you ignore Castle Wolfenstein, the original Metal Gear came out in 1987, some 15 years earlier.

Stuff like Thief, Tenchu, Deus Ex, and both MGS 1 & 2 also predate Splinter Cell.

EDIT:  I guess Played_Out beat me to it.  Curses, foiled again! 

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Splinter Cell, the original was an awesome game. Not better than MGS, but probably better than MGS2.

The rest of the splintercell series has dropped in my opinion, the last on the 360 was frankly poor, then again I thought MGS3 was weak too.

Personally I don't hold out on either being any good =P

iberz said:

Honestly I don't think it's even close. MGS games are infinitely more memorable and entertaining. MGS4 looks extremely promising. We've seen very little of 'Conviction' but IMO it doesn't look very enticing. As for comparing past MGS/SC games.

Production values - MGS wins handsdown in this department.

Music - Again, MGS.

Gameplay - SC is far too slow paced for my taste, and it gets quite tedious. I guess it's more realistic to some degree, but realism doesn't equal fun. MGS has smoother controls, interactivity, epic scenarios and boss battles etc etc...

Graphics - SC games definitely look better on paper, since they were developed on superior hardware, but on screen, MGS games are far more pleasing to the eye.

Characters - Snake, Ocelot, Liquid, Mantis. Need I say more? Oh and EVA :) 

Story-line - MGS 1 arguably has the best story-line in video games. Period. MGS 3 was brilliant. MGS 2 is the black sheep in the franchise, but still, better than most. I don't even remember the story line in SC.

I could go on, but of course this is just my opinion.