By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Rate my new laptop (arrives in 48 hours)

Well my previous laptop, after a string of problems, had it's last run two weeks ago. It already had screen issues (colour bands appearing and lots of flickering), but the HDD gave away and the motherboard failed too.

I took that chance to invest on a new laptop (and sold my previous one for parts). It was a good laptop, an Asus N50v, with a T9600 Dual Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, geforce GT 9650m 1 gb GDDR3, 320 GB HDD, so it still fetched a good price as scrap.

The laptop that I've bought now is a HP dv6-6060ep. It specifications are as follows:

- Intel Core i7-2310QM (2.00 GHz, 6 MB cache L3)
- 6 GB DDR3, upgradable to 8 GB
- 500 GB SATA 7200 RPM
- AMD Radeon HD 6770M (1 GB GDDR5)
- 15,4" 1366x768 resolution

So, what do you think about this new laptop? I've heard it performs quite well in every game currently released (and that's a major plus for me, since i'm gunning for a good performance when Skyrim arrives). Also it's price wasn't that high, considering it's specifications, only 940 Eur.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

It will have terrible battety life. A desktop of the same price would be faster.

If you accept that, then it's a great laptop.

seems pretty bad ass to me 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Soleron said:

It will have terrible battety life. A desktop of the same price would be faster.

If you accept that, then it's a great laptop.

Yeah, that's a trade-off that i'm willing to accept, given that the laptop will not only be used for games, but also for work in my university as well. Thus I really have to buy a laptop over a desktop (and I only have the money to afford either one type of PC).

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

it must be big. Being so it would most likely have sub 1 hour battery life while gaming which is an downside. Other than that you should of get an Desktop for same price then you would of been playing Skrim on High -> max depending on your GPU.

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Around the Network

Sounds ideal for your specific requirements and I would imagine during normal work duties it will survive long enough on the few occasions when you absoluetly cannot connect to the mains (which will not be that often).

My daughter bought an R series Samsung for similar reasons to you except she wanted a larger screen (17") for her work/movies and a good sound system for music (gaming is not her thing) and although its a monster it has done exactly what she needed it to do.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

Very nice... hope it last fo ya.

Solid specs for a laptop. The 6770M is a very good laptop gpu, and as you said this is basically a desktop replacement, I'm assuming it should be plugged in most the time anyway. Even the most effecient laptop isn't going to have the best battery life when gaming, so that shouldn't be a problem.
For me personally though, I think the screen quality is a bit on the lower end, which I think HP had to use to counter the GPU its using for the asking price. But I'm very picky when it comes to monitors and the likes.
The only game I've tested however was Dragon Age 2 with all settings on Medium, as I didn't want to run it on Dx11 due to poor optimization, and it ran beautifullu. Skyrim should be playable at medium settings I'm guessing. 
The laptop I used had a 2410M processor which is stronger but shouldn't change things too much. Be happy with the laptop. Its got a well balanced spec, and looks great to boot. I would be happy if I were you =D

Aside from its horrible resolution, pretty awesome.

The specs are good, just try not to break your back while carrying it around...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957