By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii is Just Heating Up

It kinda hit me today when I was looking at the GC million sellers list.

The 2 best selling gamecube games have not had Wii Versions Yet...

MK:DD  &  SSBB

I mean look what Mario has done for the Wii. It  singlehandedly is FORCING all Core gamers to get a Wii to play it(unless they are Platformer haters)

MK series has be in the top 2 on every console since the SNES, and I don't think the Wii will be any different(ok... not counting Wii sport and WiiFit)

SSBB- The cube version sold 6.6 million on just 23 million consoles.... Imagine what it can do on a userbase the size of the Wii's.   I personally believe 20mil LTD. is not out of reach (it would be the first non-pokemon, non- bundled game to do so)

I see MK doing 10mil PLUS. It did 6.62 on GC and almost 10 mil on 64 and the Wii userbase will be at least 70 mil(super conservative) when all is said and done.

I also like what I am hearing about new IP's, I just hope the core gamers jump over to buy the Great new IP's because the casuals don't like new IP's to much. (see Zack and Wiki)

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network

There are several reasons the afforementioned games sold that well on Gamecube:

1. Lack of other quality games
2. Lack of adequate quantity of games
3. SSB was a Gamecube launch game
4. Gamecube install base was more "hardcore" than the Wii
5. Gamecube's attach rate is way better than the Wii

Also :

1. Final Fantasies sold better on PS1 than the much bigger userbase PS2
2. Zelda Ocarina of Time sold way better on N64 than Twilight princess on Wii & Gamecube

Install base isn't everything although I believe that both games will eventually sell better than their Gamecube counterparts.

We all know this, both the wii and playstation consoles will have amazing games next year. Im sort of dissapointed on the 360's line up, I hope microsoft announces good games for next year.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

@rout
I am pretty sure that FFX sold better than 8 and 9, and maybe 7
12 was like 9, released late in the life cycles. The PS2 and PSX were with 15-20% of each other. in fact the reason the PS2 has blown by the PSX so much is its 7 year life span.

SMG will sell much better on Wii, it is alread 60% of SMS. Also MK dominated the SNES, which IMHO had the best library EVER. I basing Smash off the hype and the fact it will bring many core gamers over. SSBM was not a launch game. close to it, but not a launch.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

routsounmanman said:
2. Zelda Ocarina of Time sold way better on N64 than Twilight princess on Wii & Gamecube

Way better?  Depending on when the new Wii Zelda comes out, it is possible for TP to have total sales within 1 million of O of T.  I doubt TP can catch O of T but it may be possible.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Around the Network

Sorry for all the posts, my browser got stuck...

tokilamockingbrd said:
@rout
I am pretty sure that FFX sold better than 8 and 9, and maybe 7
12 was like 9, released late in the life cycles. The PS2 and PSX were with 15-20% of each other. in fact the reason the PS2 has blown by the PSX so much is its 7 year life span.

SMG will sell much better on Wii, it is alread 60% of SMS. Also MK dominated the SNES, which IMHO had the best library EVER. I basing Smash off the hype and the fact it will bring many core gamers over. SSBM was not a launch game. close to it, but not a launch.

Final Fantasy VII   9.72m
 Final Fantasy VIII   7.86m

Final Fantasy IX   5.30m

Final Fantasy X  
   7.95m

Final Fantasy XII   4.96m

Hey, you forgot Final Fantasy 11.