By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Android removes emulators

Well it was just a matter of time, I don't use the app store so I don't know if this kind of applicatons are avalible there.

If you're an Android gamer, chances are you've heard of Nesoid, Snesoid, Gensoid, N64oid, Ataroid, Gearoid and Gameboid: they're all video game console emulators developed by yongzh, and many ranked among the most popular paid apps on the Android Market. This week, they've got something else in common, too -- they've all been abruptly removed. Following a complaint from Sega, two emulators were nixed late last month, but we're hearing that Google has since revoked yongzh's developer privileges, just like PSX4Droid comrade-in-arms ZodTTD. We're currently reaching out to both yongzh and Google for comment, and hope to hear back soon, but it's looking like a bleak week for the emulation community.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/29/android-markets-most-popular-emulators-disappear-without-a-trac/

Around the Network

good, these were paid emulators ^^ which is piracy i'm really against.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

no he means he's already against piracy, but piracy you have to pay to do REALLY gets on his nerves.

SW-5120-1900-6153

paid emulators?? idiots actually paid for an emulator....wow...idiots

"I don't know what this Yamcha is, but it sounds just like Raditz."

I like to be able to save my game on my android using the emulator, and the free versions can't.. soo.. didnt have any option but to buy, sucks i know. :(

Around the Network
xstonexcold316x said:

I like to be able to save my game on my android using the emulator, and the free versions can't.. soo.. didnt have any option but to buy, sucks i know. :(

Surely that will be added at some point? There are enough open source efforts out there that it is inevitable a free fully-functional emulator for everything will show up within a few years.

I don't have a problem with Google doing this because it is their store. It's when a company restricts you to only its store that it becomes abuse of position. The emulators should still be available to buy for Android elsewhere.

At least FPse is still there. 

I was worried since it might have meant Schtruck would stop working on it.

One hell of a PS1 emulator. Finally got it to work with SaGa Frontier.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

xinstantnoodlez said:

So what emulator do you use for Android that is free and works well?

OT: Its sad, but much needed. Yongzh has made millions from his emulators, while the market is likely hurt by his products - why buy other games when $2.99-$4.99 get you hundreds?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
xinstantnoodlez said:

So what emulator do you use for Android that is free and works well?

OT: Its sad, but much needed. Yongzh has made millions from his emulators, while the market is likely hurt by his products - why buy other games when $2.99-$4.99 get you hundreds?

I saw this move coming once they removed Rom Gripper and Rom Gripper Plus.

Luckily for me I still have the Rom Gripper and Rom Gripper Plus .apk files.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

KylieDog said:
Hephaestos said:

good, these were paid emulators ^^ which is piracy i'm really against.

If they were just emulators it is not piracy.  Your comments makes no sense anyway, if they were free it wouldn't be piracy somehow?

It would be piracy of tech.  However, this is only illegal if the HW patents were still active.  I do know that the patents for the 16-bit consoles, and those that came before them, have all expired.  This is why Nintendo and/or Sega can do nothing to stop the sales of products that can play NES, SNES, and Genesis cartridges.  I'm not sure about 5th gen consoles and on, though.  Which is why I don't get why they would take ALL of them down.  Only the newer ones are questionable.