By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The pros and cons for the industry if ______ console wins

I don't care who wins as long as genres do not start to dissapear. Innovtion is good but if something is not broke why try to fix it.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Around the Network

If Nintendo wins we'll probably see slower growth on the tech side of things, Probably next gen will stay around the current level of technology

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I see several people claiming that if Nintendo "wins", the hardware race will slow down?  I don't see any reason that this opinion is justified.  Nintendo's been on both sides of the coin, the higher powered side as well as the lower powered side throughout their console history.  There's nothing that says if Nintendo gains market share this time around everyone will stop increasing horsepower and just sit idle.  Anything can (and will) change in 4-5 years time.  I realize that the wii didn't follow the same direction in massive power increases that the other two did, but I think it's clear that they did it on purpose (either to differentiate themselves or because they spent the development money elsewhere so settled on a moderate power increase to keep costs down).

To keep on topic, I would predict very little difference in pro/con no matter who wins this iteration.  The hardware is only a minor player on the evolution of video games, the main driver in this industry has always been the creative minds behind the games. 

Though, if the wii becomes a stellar hit, I'd assume motion sensitivity in games would be taken much more seriously than it has in the past =).

I'm all for technological advancements, but when it pushes too far too fast it drives the price up, that's when you have to slow down and let the market catch up.  It's like a marathon, if you push too far too quick, there will be consequences.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.