By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The pros and cons for the industry if ______ console wins

Everyone has their favorite stats to juggle and support their desires when it comes to the "winner" of this generation.

I think we can all agree this proves fun for debate and *ahem* for some posts...the hilarity that ensues.

So here is the question: What good, and bad, do you see as the result of each system hypothetically winning this round?

For example, what good, and bad, do you see as a result for the industry if PS3 winning?

If Xbox 360 wins?

If Wii wins?

List each of the pro's and con's you see for each system hypothetically winning this round. Again, this is a question looking at hypotheticals. All the stats are out the window.

This is not about who looks to be winning and or who we want to win.

This is about what you think each system would do, positively and negatively in your opinion, to the industry as a whole if they were the leader.

Now let's try and play nice, but honesty is desired.

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

Around the Network

I would reply on this but I would ge trolled becuase people think I love sony because their sony. I just wanna say there are 2 types of fanboys.

1. The kind that support their console because ____ makes it.
2. The kind that support their console because of the stuff you get.

I'm not gonna reply, but if nintendo wins dont expect price drops on the console, dont expect amazingly massive games. It just dont have the hardware to do it.

If microsoft wins. I dont know what would happen. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

The history, though short as it may be of games consoles shows that there is always room for a minority platform to exist.  So, we should probably be thinking in terms of "incomplete dominance".

Having said that, if microsoft wins, we will have more online gaming which is great. 

If nintendo wins, we will have to only play namby-pamby games.

If sony wins, we will have more overpriced kinds of games.

You can only generalize about these things b/c we are talking about unknown future events, and the future will always always throw a curve ball if you try to hammer it down to close.

I think we will get the same games, no matter which console wins. Probably there would be more from one sort than the other way around, but that wouldn't really matter because there would be enough games of every kind.

So, to answer your question, for the industry it would be best if the wii wins, because this would mean that the cheapest games to develop can be sold to the biggest userbase.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

If Microsoft wins we will then have 2 P.C's in the home rather than 1

Good to see this site is still going 

Around the Network

Well let see, if sony wins we can wave good buy to the idea that a consol should be cheap. Why sell a consol for 200 USD when we can sell one for 600 USD? That is something I personally doesn't like. Pros is possible that the tech race will continue.

Microsoft, more or less the same as PS3. Mayby more small cost.

Nintendo, hopefully more time and money spent on new ways to play. Cons is that the tech race will most probarbly slow down.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Quartz said:

If Microsoft wins we will then have 2 P.C's in the home rather than 1

I want to point out that Microsoft gets way too much credit for PC gaming. Most of the big games are always released for the Mac OS and Mac OS X. Obviously, not microsoft games, but Civ 4, HL2, Warcraft 3, WoW, etc. Doom 3 is on Linux as well as Mac OS X. Just some examples. This new "games for windows" thing is stupid and I hope it backfires on them. I'm not sure what the benchmarks are for the respective OSes, but it seems to me that now that you can get Intel Core Duos with Mac OS X there is no advantage to Windows XP. And right now, Vista is slower for most games. I know some games will require DirectX 10 but that won't stop games from also being released for Mac. Just something I'd like to point out.

I think if Sony or Nintendo win we will see another generation of consoles from both. I think if Microsoft wins I'll be unhappy but will expect Nintendo and Sony to keep fighting them. I don't expect Microsoft to win considering their sales are only strong in the US (as well as Halo sale numbers, not ironically...look at "others" compared to US sales for that game...strong but interestingly much less than US), but if they did win Nintendo would have to be close considering they probably own the Japanese market (sony losing would mean this imo).

I think if Nintendo wins you won't see a 400-600 dollar console launch next round....or the next round will not start for a bit longer allowing Sony and Microsoft time to gather the Higher tech at lower prices. A longer than 4 year console generation could force Nintendo to make a new system first. Allowing PS3 or 360 a 6-7 year console generation  where they could catch up or pass Wii toward the end of the generation. More console gaming will be catered to family and in house than online

If Microsoft wins the next console launches will be 400-600.  We will see a new "generation" of consoles a little faster than if Nintendo wins (Nintendo will have to decide to go with more expensive hardware or be a value console that caters to the masses) We will see a big step in trying to Synch your home PC to your console. online gaming will need to be embraced by Nintendo.

If Sony wins the next consoles will probly cost around 500-600. This will be a short generation as Microsoft will be first to market with a new system. Online gaming will be big for the next generation with a very in depth online community. The very Few Exclusive game will be a huge topic for the Next generation.

All that being said I don't think winning the console race in a generation is going to change anything all that much. I mean the X-box was in no way  close to the PS2 in sales numbers, but Sony did notice that gamers did enjoy online play. Microsoft saw how much RPG's were a factor in the success of the PS2. The result =360 will be online and have more quanity RPG's than before and Sony will get thier RPG's and also incorparate online gaming. It doesn't take a console selling at #1 to get things to change...I am sure at least sony will be incorparating some Severe Motion sensing with the New Eye toy. There should be no Cons to any system offering up what people like.

EDIT:The only Con i see is that if the Wii does win and Microsoft and Sony focus thier sights on Nintendo instaed of each other Nintendo might be in trouble.(Sony is losing as much money on selling a PS3 at launch then it costs to make a Wii) So what iI am sying is Sony and Microsoft have so much money coming in from other places the could make a Console Comparable to Nintendos and sell it at next to nothing (if they were to go the non high tech route)

robjoh said:

Well let see, if sony wins we can wave good buy to the idea that a consol should be cheap. Why sell a consol for 200 USD when we can sell one for 600 USD? That is something I personally doesn't like. Pros is possible that the tech race will continue.

Microsoft, more or less the same as PS3. Mayby more small cost.

Nintendo, hopefully more time and money spent on new ways to play. Cons is that the tech race will most probarbly slow down.

I agree for the most part but i guess it depends when a system starts selling that will determine price on the next gen. If sony or Microsoft  drop prices then sales pick up to boost them into number one. then perhaps they will realize that they pushed the price a little too high. I myself would prefer a $500 machine that is not replaced for 6-7 years rather than a $250-$400 that is replaced in 3-4 years.because odds are the $500 machine will drop in price rather quickly.

I don't think there's really much far reaching effects we'll see on the basis of who wins. Sony not winning would knock some sense to them, while Microsoft winning would mean nobody has a problem with 7 year generations because the other two are certainly okay with it. That's about all I can think of, though. No matter what, Microsoft and Sony will still be technology companies, and Nintendo will still be a games company, with their next system being four Gamecubes glued (taped?) together rather than two.