By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think that GT5 has bad visuals?

The only bad graphics that really stood out for me were the cheezy 2D pixelated people in the crowd.  Thats like old school arcade racing look.

Around the Network

Sometimes it has THE BEST GRAPHICS THIS GEN.

Sometimes not.

But bad? No way.

Barozi said:
A203D said:
Griffin said:

The premium cars are a generation a head of anything else,  not even PC's can match those cars.  Many of the standard cars still look better then Forza3 and other console racers, so i don't understand how people can say it lacked in graphics.

I know what you mean, i was driving a standard car on my 32" 720p tv. and tbh it looked great, i havent had the chance to use a premium car, but i cant believe people are saying the graphics are bad. okay maybe the s cars dont have cockpit mode, but still, no way does that break a game like this!

maybe I've driven the worst looking standard cars, but my impression was that they all look awful.

One of the first cars I bought in the game: http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/647/eigernordwandkurz.jpg

Forza 2 comparison: http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1476/full-res/1178333047.jpg

the standard cars are a mixed bag.

some look almost like premium cars, others, look like decent car graphics, while others look like straight up ps2 ports.

Only some car models look sharp, and yes, the fireworks on some night tracks are great. But that's it. It is very unimpressive.

Chrizum said:
dsage01 said:
Chrizum said:

Definitely. Sometimes it looks like a PS3 game and sometimes it looks like a PS2 game. That's unacceptable for a game of this stature. The gap between the visually good and visually bad is so huge, it can at times totally pull me out of the game.

Uncharted 2? Beautiful. God of War 3? Amazing. GT5? Probably the least impressive graphics I have seen on PS3.

This is the perfect example. People compare GT5 visuals with Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 visuals. That's like comparing GT5 sales with God of War or Uncharted sales. GT out sold them both in 4 weeks despite they being one of the strongest exclusive sellers for the PS3. GT5 has great visuals and easily one of the best looking PS3 games. If people say Reach has good visuals why doesn't GT5? It's not the best, it's defintley not the worst but it's still great

The GT series is much more about graphics than for example the GoW series. At times GT5 really sucks me out of the game instead of into the game because some things look even below PS2 level. That is unacceptable. I'm not comparing its graphics directly with Uncharted and God of War. But those games achieve their goal, and when it comes to graphics, GT5 doesn't. Still a really well made game though, but not as good as previous GT games or probably even Forza.

Lower than PS2 level. That is plain BS right there! I understand that at launch they did screw some things up but now it''s all okay with the updates. GT5 is a milestone better than GT4. How can you say that it's below PS2 level. Infact it's much higher than the normal PS3 level. Look at games like Warhawk, Uncharted 1, Resistance games, Rachet games, e.t.c. I think you should take back the statement I bolded back. Because that is just ridiculas. If games like GT5 are below PS2 level in some aspects what about Halo, Forza or Gears? They're probably at PS1 level then right?

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Sometimes it has THE BEST GRAPHICS THIS GEN.

Sometimes not.

But bad? No way.

That is exactly what I think!

Cars, tarmac, barriers, signs and background look great. Most trees, the onlookers  and some standard cars look not so great but overall it is a great looking game and definitley in the top 5 of best looking PS3 games released so far in my opinion.

dsage01 said:
Chrizum said:
dsage01 said:
Chrizum said:

Definitely. Sometimes it looks like a PS3 game and sometimes it looks like a PS2 game. That's unacceptable for a game of this stature. The gap between the visually good and visually bad is so huge, it can at times totally pull me out of the game.

Uncharted 2? Beautiful. God of War 3? Amazing. GT5? Probably the least impressive graphics I have seen on PS3.

This is the perfect example. People compare GT5 visuals with Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 visuals. That's like comparing GT5 sales with God of War or Uncharted sales. GT out sold them both in 4 weeks despite they being one of the strongest exclusive sellers for the PS3. GT5 has great visuals and easily one of the best looking PS3 games. If people say Reach has good visuals why doesn't GT5? It's not the best, it's defintley not the worst but it's still great

The GT series is much more about graphics than for example the GoW series. At times GT5 really sucks me out of the game instead of into the game because some things look even below PS2 level. That is unacceptable. I'm not comparing its graphics directly with Uncharted and God of War. But those games achieve their goal, and when it comes to graphics, GT5 doesn't. Still a really well made game though, but not as good as previous GT games or probably even Forza.

Lower than PS2 level. That is plain BS right there! I understand that at launch they did screw some things up but now it''s all okay with the updates. GT5 is a milestone better than GT4. How can you say that it's below PS2 level. Infact it's much higher than the normal PS3 level. Look at games like Warhawk, Uncharted 1, Resistance games, Rachet games, e.t.c. I think you should take back the statement I bolded back. Because that is just ridiculas. If games like GT5 are below PS2 level in some aspects what about Halo, Forza or Gears? They're probably at PS1 level then right?

Sometimes the game has extremely pixelated shadows and extremely low-res textures on cars. Since the game is all about the cars, that can really take me out of the game. 50% of the game looks extremely good, 40% looks just good and 10% looks so bad (yes, sub-PS2 levels sometimes), it keeps pulling me out of the game. That inconsistency for such a high profile game which is all about graphics, is why I'd rank the game on the lower side of the spectrum of PS3 visuals.

A game like Ratchet and Clank, for example, is technically unimpressive but always succeeds in what it sets out to do. That's why it looks a lot better than GT5.

when GT5 has it moments (night rally, race in the rain, weather changing tracks) it is definatly one of the best looking games this gen...but the other like 75%-85% of the game is just standard-graphic for a PS3...

ishiki said:

imo, I the graphics are inconsistent. 2D trees, the cars that aren't premium look bleh to ok.

The graphics are poor to ok to good to fantastic. Depending on the race. But inconsistency takes away from the package as a whole.

For me this applies to the game as a whole. though the foundation is great, some of the design choices made just boggles my mind

I'm not really a hardcore racing-simulation person. I could see how people love this. But I've  only put 20 hours into 3 racing games before becoming bored (The Wipeout Series, GT3, And Mario Kart). It didn't leave a lasting impression on me.

2D trees?  Seriously?  Who cares when you're flying past at 120mph.  Premium cars look fantastic.  Standard cars vary.  Tracks look great.  The highs are really up there; the lows are mediocre.