By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Report: Older PlayStation 3 consoles struggling with L.A. Noire

VG247

Users reports from all over the web suggest a small number of 60 GB and 80 GB model PS3 users are experiencing freezing, crashing and console shut downs after playing the Team Bondi epic for extended periods.

The issue is said to be related to overheating, and may be presaged by three beeps.

A post on the Rockstar Social Club support forums suggested the recent 3.61 firmware update as a culprit, but Rockstar has moved or deleted the post since we harvested it.

“Primary reports seem to be that updating to firmware 3.61 will cause PlayStations to overheat. There have been various reports of this on a few different games now, all reporting their PS3s turning off or ‘Red Lighting’ after having installed 3.61.

“This can range from games randomly freezing to PS3s turning off anywhere between 30 mins use to two hours. We have confirmed locally that multiple games (Rockstar and non-Rockstar) overheat or freeze only when 3.61 is installed.”

Rockstar promised further updates on the matter, but also asked users to contact Sony directly.

Sony hasn’t made an official reply yet, but before you go cursing the update, remember that older PS3′s struggled a bit with the fanciest new games well before the new firmware was conceived of. See: Uncharted 2, which I personally can play for 20 minutes at a time except in the dead of winter.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/19/report-older-playstation-3-consoles-struggling-with-l-a-noire/

Around the Network

I thought only the 360 had thermal design problems, now it looks like the first PS3 models also do.

I guess this is what happens when you want to put ridiculously power hungry hardware inside a cramped box. I expect them to be more careful about this in the next generation.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Rockstar have updated their site to include PS3/360 so it seems to be an issue on both.  Both PS3 and 360 can struggle with certain titles in my experience but of course PS3 will get attention at the moment.

http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/20126677-what-to-do-if-you-are-crashing-or-freezing-in-l-a-noire

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:

Rockstar have updated their site to include PS3/360 so it seems to be an issue on both.  Both PS3 and 360 can struggle with certain titles in my experience but of course PS3 will get attention at the moment.

http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/20126677-what-to-do-if-you-are-crashing-or-freezing-in-l-a-noire

beat me to it, yeah the 360s are having the same troubles too

I remember when it was modern warefare 2 killing ps3's
These type of articles are standard after every ps3 update

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-19-ps3-firmware-3-61-not-crashing-la-noire

Rockstar doing a U-Turn.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

And the push for negative PS3 news coverage continues.  Go figure.

If it's a problem on R*'s ends, at least it should be ironed out by the time I do purchase the game.  Looking forward to it, but I have a healthy backlog to take care of first.  I'll have whatever potential updates by then, and it should be smooth sailing.  And yes, I'll be buying the PS3 version.

A little update from R*:

1. Delete L.A. Noire Game Data (not save data) from the PS3 Game Data Utility. On Xbox 360, clear the cache (My Xbox, System Settings, Device Options, Clear System Cache).
2. Create a temporary PS3 profile to ensure new save files are created. On Xbox 360, create a Silver Xbox Live Gamertag.
3. Launch L.A. Noire and try again. Try playing while signed out of PSN.
4. Check L.A. Noire disc for scratches, dust, dirt or other damage. Clean if necessary.
5. Check other game-discs on your PS3 or Xbox 360 to test whether it's L.A. Noire or the console playing up.
6. Try your L.A. Noire disc in a different console

http://www.psu.com/[UPDATE]-Users-report-issues-running-LA-Noire-on-old-PS3-models--a011702-p0.php

Oops...  Or maybe I should not be posting it here since it's a negative PS3 thread?  Oh, guess what?  It helps Xbox 360 users as well.  So it's now alright, right...?

i hope this dont will happen with Uncharted 3...cause i think at the latest then will my PS3 60GB die ^^

This happens everytime a new big game comes out. MW2 YLOD'd my 40gig within 5 minutes of inserting the disc.

This gen has had the best games but terrible hardware and bad coding from the developers end.

CGI-Quality said:
TT Makaveli said:

i hope this dont will happen with Uncharted 3...cause i think at the latest then will my PS3 60GB die ^^

This particular case isn't exclusive to PS3, as some 360s are having issues as well. Nevertheless, I don't believe such an issue would happen with Uncharted 3, seeing as Naughty Dog & Santa Monica are practically flawless when optimizing for PS3's specs (both are rumored to have helped build the system).

you are right with that...i played Uncharted 2 100 hours and my old PS3 never had problems o.O

You only get those problem with multi-plat-titles i guess...