By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What if scenarios! Wii PS3 360!

tabsina said:
People saying the name Revolution appeals more to the mass market and would have made it better: I don't agree at all.. i know this sounds stupid but to me Revolution sounds like something only gamers would be interested about, its too big of a mouthful for, lets say, a grandparent, to say "I wouldn't mind playing the Revolution with my buddies next time their over" or a man saying to his coworkers "You guys should all come over to my house, we'll play the Revolution".. Wii is perfect because it is so simple and it has no implications that it is only for a certain group of people..

That is just my line of thought anyways

Exactly.  Revolution was only wanted by the hardcore.   The FPS type of system where the rebels take the power against the establishment.   It also translates into everyone's language as a different word.  Wii does not.  A made up word of one syllable.  Thus meaning what Nintendo wants it to mean, and not others.  Making it more acceptable for the masses.  Of course, it lent itself to be the words 'We', 'Oui',  a wiiplacement for 're', and of course, the jokes of E3 2006.  Which, by realizing the name just before the start of E3, got the hype and 'stunned'  looks out of  the way, and could concentrate on the first of many long lines that the Wii would create.

And yet, strangely enough, produced the revolution.  New players to console gaming, toppling of the old regime, new ways of gaming, all the things that a revolution (in its various meanings) does. 

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Around the Network

The cleverest thing Nintendo did is make the Wii a competitve price with plenty of room to go in the future in terms of specification rather than releasing everything at a bumped up price like Sony did.

I think Ninty will make the Wii a brand same as Ipod and when Nintendo say Wii will be around 10 or 11 years they are right but there will be several different Wii models with Hard Drive, High Def, different colours, probably better / tighter motion controls and maybe even a top of the range model with all.

All we are seeing at the moment is a base model - but I think all will play the same games, just differently. Nintendo has only just begun!!

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

What if a game developper or even nintendo release a game with head tracking on the wii ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw awesomeness

On a side note the Wii was called "revolution" not because it was meant to be a revolution but because "revolution" is the term for the motion capting effect of the wiimote / sensorbar. A bit like the term "earth revolution" (don't know how its called in english).

End of 2008 (31 dec.) prediction :

Wii : 53.5 Million

PS3 : 24 Million

X360 : 27 Million

Prediction started January 1st 2008.

Head tracking could be possible in the future, most likely with the next iteration of nintendo consoles. It'd be pretty neat and more immersive than anything offered this generation so far.

A Sega comeback would be amazing. I think it's possible, but not for at least another generation. First they need to build up a bigger library of games and continue doing some excellent sales. If they can start going down the line Nintendo did, where their in house games always sell big, investors will be all over Sega and Sega might start looking into making a console for either the Wii2, 720, PS4 gen, or the following one, maybe even cutting in early mid that gen. There's a lot of what ifs with that, but they could pull it off. Go with a Wii-like system model, profit from the get go, but enough juice to satisfy the hardcores, and some casual titles for the non hardcores.

Then again, I can really only see Sega coming back if MS backs out, or Sony just utterly destroys the PS brand, since a 4 way race is just too much for consumers.

My what if is this. What if Sony discontinues the PSP and Sega RE-ENTERED the handheld market? Gamegear2? :P

it would still be too late for gamegear, bacause the ds has been out for three years now. even if they made it cheap, long battery life, ect(basically not repeat all the mistakes they made with the last one) that would still not be enough.

my what if is what if nintendo made the wii $200 without the wiisports pack in, and sold wiisports as a stand alone $50 game. Would it change anything about how casuals still buy it?

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47568

brawl friendcode - 3823-8201-9151

mario kart wii friendcode - 0387-9491-4552

PM me if you add me plz.

150vg$ bet(with haggy) mk wii 2009 worldwide sales > any 360/ps3 game released in 2009.

current mk wii worldwide sales (jan 9th): 553k

Around the Network

I actually think it would, von. Right now, a lot of casuals see the Wii and Wii Sports as one and the same. They are told "You can play this game on the Wii" and some wouldn't realize you had to buy the game separately.

That head tracking is cool, but not many games could implement it, in FPS you would have to walk to the right to look left, it would be as if you were running around with a picture frame in front of you.

Something like Endless Ocean would work well with it, a slow paced game with lots of oppertunities for 3D sightplay [you will hear me spout Endless Ocean a lot from now on because it has become my "best idea for a game yet" thing, much like Pilotwings, Blast Corps or Chibi Robo]

MrPickles said:
@Rendo: But you have to wonder:

-how well both of them would be doing if BOTH had launched at high prices and had next-gen movie players built in. Neither would have a price advantage, and both would have high storage capacities.
-Also, I meant to say 'if MS slashed $50 off all models in time for GTA4?'

@Zackblue

What if sony launched the ps3 at $299.99?
It would be owning the 360. Similar games, cheaper price, and higher-capacity discs. For all the insults about Blu-Ray, if given the choice between a $349 console with DVD support and a $299 console with Blu-Ray support, who do you think people would go with? The only problem I can see is that they would be way farther in the red than MS was with the original Xbox.

What if nintendo named the wii the revolution?
Would have been an infinitely better name. A lot of people pass on it just because it's called a 'Wii'. 'Revolution' also symbolizes the path they are taking the gaming industry on. I also think it is a far more marketable name than 'Wii', especially to the casual. Come on, what rolls off the tongue better--'Wii' or 'Revolution'?

What if Micosoft Made the nex gen 360 next year?
They would become the next Sega. No one would buy it, and sales of the 360 would cease. They would be dead in the water as a console manufacturer.

Now:

-What if Sony had stopped supporting PS2 when PS3 came out?

I think that would be bad for Sony, they're known for supporting their consoles longer than most, and indeed the PS2 is still doing fairly well after almost 8 years! The core gamers would assume that a similar policy would apply for the PS3 and would think twice about purchasing a machine that suddenly lost all software support, leaving it practically wotrhless by end-gen.

tabsina said:
People saying the name Revolution appeals more to the mass market and would have made it better: I don't agree at all.. i know this sounds stupid but to me Revolution sounds like something only gamers would be interested about, its too big of a mouthful for, lets say, a grandparent, to say "I wouldn't mind playing the Revolution with my buddies next time their over" or a man saying to his coworkers "You guys should all come over to my house, we'll play the Revolution".. Wii is perfect because it is so simple and it has no implications that it is only for a certain group of people..

That is just my line of thought anyways

*using political candidate voice* My name is d21lewis, and I approve of this message.

PS3 senario what is Lair, Heavenly Sword, Motostorm, Ninga Giden Sigma, Drake's fortune, and Warhawk all sold as well as Resistance: Fall of Man and were all at least as good as it.

"Like you know"