By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Piracy tracking;..

Lostplanet22 said:

I was wondering, if I am an gamedevelopper and wants to stop people downloading my game (illegal);..

Can I put the game on a torrent site with an tracking program on it? And if I can track those people who downloaded it...Can I sue them?

Just wondering.....

lots of publishers pay people to join torrents and report ips that are in the swarm to their provider so that the provider can issue "if we catch you one more time..." warnings. these warnings are a scare tactic and nothing ever comes from them because no one in their right mind is going to be sueing people who are pirating. for pirating to work efficiently (especially for games or movies that are big files) you have to have houndreds of people all participating.

companies pay (at least) 100$/hour to hire an attorney to sue people and one case can take a pretty long time, they would never make their money back as many people wouldnt have enough to pay for the lawyer, the fine that theyre issued, and theres no real guarantee that they'll win; there have been cases where a person claimed they dont own a computer and the company ended up paying for all the fees that they incurred going to court.

its just not feasable for companies to enforce piracy laws, they only stand to loose more money if they try and strongarm people in court. even if they do win theyre likely to loose money

@ CaptainObvious

its really annoying to go open a page and have a song start playing

Around the Network
Galaki said:
mchaza said:
Galaki said:

I don't think it's a can or worms you want to open. Even if you can stop 100 illegals but damage 1 legit consumer. That's a no-no.

Piracy is not the reason you game fail.  You game failed because it's not appealing.

Those that download illegally are not going to buy your game anyways.

Instead of trying to fight the invisible, why not try to make your product more appealing giving people more reasons to buy?

The damage done by piracy is largely way overblown.

company a need x sales to break even, you dont make x sales because customer group y mostly priated the game when they could of bought it. company a goes under, the games sucessor or future content is finished and company a former employees become another statitic to the unemployment list. 

An the gaming industry has no other alternative root like the software industry for other souces of income. Sales is the only way they can get money and while sales are increasing, so is priacy and that doesn't run well with the even faster growth in the cost of games. So Priacy is bad

I never said it isn't bad. The problem is that, instead of focusing on those that don't buy  your product, why not try focusing on getting your product more appealing to get more people to buy?

That's almost insulting because it's like assuming I spend an hour a day dreaming how to stop pirates.  True, time is devoted to whatever means of protection but it's not like there's a large team meeting devoted to thinking of ways to stop piracy.

vlad321 said:

Do I have to break out the countless links that show that piracy is due to a person's product not being worth the asking price? Or that pirates spend more money than non-pirates? Or really anything that shows that piracy is just a scapegoat for people who make shit music/movies/games. THe problem is the product sucks for the amount of money that people ask for it.

Doing that would only summon hoardes of self-righteous knights who fight valiantly everyday to stop piracy.

We don't want that now, do we?

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

twesterm said:
Galaki said:
mchaza said:
Galaki said:

The damage done by piracy is largely way overblown.

That's almost insulting

By making a problem bigger than it actually is, you end up having people flocking to invest more into trying to stop piracy.

We've seen how effective all that has been. With the customers having to deal with annoying DRM and such and the DRM cracked for the pirates mostly day 1.

For example, DRM is part of the reason I didn't buy quite a lot of games. The other reason is that many games I don't see as worth the current full price.