By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Disc-swapping isn't a "problem"

How long is that DCU Online install?  I think heavy rain took about 30 minutes--that was the longest I've encountered.

Anyway, I did have a problem with installs in the PS1 ers--but only with Legend of the Dragoon and Fear Effect 2.  With those two, I'd make a wrong move and go to the wrong leveland have to swap discs.  Then, since I was on the border of the disc swap area, it would happen again!

Modern games (most games  I've played on Dreamcast and Gamecube and 360 with multiple discs) don't have that issue.  There was that part in ME2 but since I normally play 20 different games at once, changing discs is the least of my problems.    Ans even then, even if I was only playing one game that spanned multiple discs, the disc swap only takes a couple of seconds and 8-10 hours of gameplay pass between disc changes.

Unless one of the discs is horribly scratched (which is an issue for every disc based game if you're careless) multiple discs is not an issue.  In fact, just like in the PS1 days, playing a game like Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey that spans multiple discs make me feel pretty proud when I get to that "disc change moment.

Around the Network

Maybe not to me or you but doesn't it a costs 3x more money to press 3 DVDs?  Maybe the costs is insignificant, I don't know. Whatever the costs it must be taking something from the revenue.

Hopefully MS reads this and keep cost down on the xbox720 by using the same DVD drive and everyone will be happy. I will.

Disc swapping is great exercise.

justinian said:

Maybe not to me or you but doesn't it a costs 3x more money to press 3 DVDs?  Maybe the costs is insignificant, I don't know. Whatever the costs it must be taking something from the revenue.

Hopefully MS reads this and keep cost down on the xbox720 by using the same DVD drive and everyone will be happy. I will.

Disc swapping is great exercise.

Yeah but 1 Blue ray disk probably costs as much as a couple DVD's. But where developers really get hurt is when they have to pay more royalties per disk.

Just people crying. It's swapping a disk. It takes 10 damn seconds, get over it.

It'll probably put the COD-Noobs over the edge. First they have to wait for PSN to get back up and then they have to physically swap the discs on the Xbox 360 they bought after they traded their PS3's in.

Tease.

Around the Network

It would depend on how much you were into the game at that point.  It can be a real buzz kill to be interrupted at the wrong time.

Fumanchu said:
Jdevil3 said:

Since when does installing take hours? :O

By the way, games like Final Fantasy XIII and God of War III come in dual layered Blu-Ray Discs and they don't require any installs... and God of War III doesn't even have any loading times...

Will L.A Noire require an install even though it comes in just a single layered BD? and will it take hours to complete that mandatory install if there's any?

The PS3 has a 2x CLV BD.  It reads dual-layer discs at the same speed.  The issue with developers requiring installs is because of seek times I believe.  Developers can either duplicate assets on the disc multiple times to make streaming data quicker or have a mandatory install.

Yeah, I know that :P

My point was that if the game needs multiple discs in the other console, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will have a mandatory install on PS3... and if the game does have a mandatory install, I doubt it will take hours to complete it.

The article makes it sound like if one gets L.A Noire on PS3, there will be a mandatory install and that that install will take hours to be completed and that the Xbox 360 version is a better choice because of that... and we don't even know if the game will require an install (or at least I haven't heard of it... mainly because I don't really care about that game :P)... and if there's an install, I doubt it will take hours :P

I interpret that from the article when I read this:

"Would you rather have to wait hours to install a game before playing it or take thirty seconds to swap a disc halfway through the story? The answer to that one seems obvious."

Maybe my reading comprehention sucks, I don't know xD

Maybe he isn't specifically talking about L.A Noire and means multiple discs games in general... but that would still be wrong because if a game needs multiple discs on Xbox 360 it doesn't mean it will need a mandatory install that takes hours on PS3. Some examples would be:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow = 2 discs on Xbox 360, 1 disc on PS3 (no mandatory install)

Final Fantasy XIII = 3 discs on Xbox 360, 1 disc on PS3 (no mandatory install)

Dead Space 2 = 2 discs on Xbox 360, 1 disc on PS3 (I don't know if this one requires an install, but I doubt it takes hours O_o)

I just searched a little and found that L.A Noire will require an install of 1.3 GBs on PS3, I assume that should take less than 5 minutes to complete, not hours :P

Source: http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/05/12/l-a-noire-a-big-game-with-small-mandatory-install-size/

"With L.A. Noire releasing in less than a week, a lot gamers who are picking up the game on the PS3 are wondering if L.A. Noire will have a big install like GTA IV.

For gamers who still have a small hard drive on their PS3, they will be pleased to know that L.A. Noire will have an install but it’s not big that players will have to delete another game’s data. Instead of having a 5GB install, L.A Noire will only take 1.3GB of your hard drive space. Yes! with a game so big, I am surprised to see the game only having a 1.3GB install.

Expect our coverage of L.A. Noire next week when the embargo lifts up. Stay tuned!"

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

It's an exaggeration to say it's a "problem" but it's also an exaggeration to say multiple discs are a necessity given the available alternatives.

The only reason why it becomes necessary on a disc based console is because it's using a media format that was chosen 6-7 years ago.

If HD-DVD had been a viable alternative for game publishing back then, it wouldn't even be an issue today and this thread, along with opinion that insists publishing a game on multiple disks is "not a problem" wouldn't even exist.

It's really hard. Too much energy required, so yeah bring it if you don't like it.

more disc are better cause can collect them with different picture on it... :P