By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Pakistan warns USA to stay out after the air raid on Bin Laden?

source

Pakistan Prime Minister to warn US over Osama bin Laden raid

Pakistan's prime minister will on Monday warn the United States it will defend its air space if American forces mount another raid on terrorists suspected of hiding inside the country.

Yusuf Raza Gilani will seek to restore some dignity in an address to the nation after the humiliation caused when American forces killed Osama bin Laden at a compound close to Pakistan's main military academy in Abbottabad last week without alerting Pakistan.

A senior government source close to the prime minister said while Mr Gilani will take an aggressive stand to shore up the government's position.

The source said: "The Prime Minister will say that the United States should not have bypassed Pakistan. We have made a huge contribution in fighting terrorism. We've arrested close to 100 al-Qaeda people, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed.

"We'll take appropriate action if any further violation takes place. We will defend our air space by any means we have."

He will say that Washington's decision to launch the raid without consulting Islamabad had plunged military and political relations between the frosty allies to a new low.

Sources in Mr Gilani's office said the country's air defences on its Western border will now be upgraded to confront any future US raids from bases in Afghanistan.

The country's Air Chief will establish a committee of inquiry into the air warning failures which allowed American helicopters to fly undetected into the heart of the country's military establishment in Abbottabad.

Mr Gilani is also expected to announce his own inquiry and to consult opposition leaders about the future of Pakistan's relationship with the United States.

The prime minister is under intense pressure from opponents, including his own former foreign minister Shah Mahmoud Qureshi who has called on him and President Zardari to resign over the issue.

Mr Gilani's warning will raise the threat of military confrontation between the two after new information discovered at bin Laden's compound was said to disclose the whereabouts of bin Laden's deputy Ayman al-Zawahiri inside Pakistan, potentially leading to another raid.

President Obama's spokesman last week said he continued to reserve America's right to strike at terrorist targets in Pakistan.

The by US Navy Seals had taken place just weeks after Pakistan Army chief General Kiyani had met his US counterpart and agreed to increase military and intelligence co-operation, according to Pakistani government sources. The relationship had already deteriorated after CIA operative Raymond Davis shot dead two motorcycle gunmen in Lahore in January.

"The Army is very much hurt. There was an understanding to continue our co-operation in the war on terrorism and then in the following weeks they did this. It shows how much they trust us. The Americans think they can do whatever they want, but the Pakistan people are full of hate for them," the government source said.

The CIA chief Leon Panetta last week said the US had decided not to inform Pakistan of the imminent raid because it feared its plans would be leaked and thwarted.

In a move that will heighten American anxiety over Pakistan's reaction, local media named the CIA's Islamabad station chief, raising suspicions that intelligence officers had leaked it in revenge for the bin Laden operation.

Sources in Pakistan said the name was incorrect, however.

Around the Network

Uh huh, if all America is after is more terrorists (which is easy to believe) what's Pakistan's problem?

Probably the cynic in me, I feel whoever's in charge that government will always be corrupt, I don't blame America for not consulting the Pakistani prime minister.

Yeah, how can the world most wanted terrorist living next door to your military headquarter be living undetected for 5 (?) years and not be known? There's a lot of money going around for sure.

I think its funny that Pakistan is talking so tough. If the US pulls out all of its military aid the Pakistani Government will be unable to fund its army. The Pakistan army would then be weakened and the Pakistani Taliban would be able to retake tons of ground they lost to the Pakistani army.

Pakistan is screwed if they turn on the US. Its not like they have been targetting the Afghan Taliban. Pakistan is and always has only looked out for itself and doesn't care to support its neighbours or allies. When the US and other countries abandon Pakistan then they are screwed.

Pakistan is just trying to save face and act tough. But when push comes to shove they will loose if they go against the US. Also the opposition may not want the US in the country right now but if they were governing they too would concede.

Its all an act!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

It's an act.They need to show americans did the raid forcefully or they will have bombs blowing in the streets.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

Right, the anti-American sentimentality in Pakistan has been at a high for years, this doesn't work to depolarize public thought there and the government is taking the heat for what the people there believe is a National Security issue. I could probably go as far as to say that the National pride has taken a shot. Either way in reality there really isn't much Islamabad can do to stop a Washingotn decision, so long as they house terrorists we will need them so they will continue to house terrorists. If it weren't for them being our allies, the country would probably be invaded by now.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Pakistan is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. They are playing so many sides that I doubt anybody, even themselves, really know whats what.

So stop wasting tax payer dollars on this country. Sounds to me more like they're sheltering terrorists.

Wagram said:

So stop wasting tax payer dollars on this country. Sounds to me more like they're sheltering terrorists.

Meh. It's less than 4 billions per year. Chump change.

/s

dib8rman said:

Right, the anti-American sentimentality in Pakistan has been at a high for years, this doesn't work to depolarize public thought there and the government is taking the heat for what the people there believe is a National Security issue. I could probably go as far as to say that the National pride has taken a shot. Either way in reality there really isn't much Islamabad can do to stop a Washingotn decision, so long as they house terrorists we will need them so they will continue to house terrorists. If it weren't for them being our allies, the country would probably be invaded by now.

And then watch India changing into Fallout type of terrain ?

Pakistan is untachable as they have atomic weapons and as they are muslims they are crazy enough to use them.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB