By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3, Wii and xbox360 numbers

Rugger08 said:
I wonder what Wii sales will be like next week. They probably shipped the next two weeks of consoles by air so they would be here for Christmas. There might be close to zero sales for the Wii for the rest of the year.

In NA specifically, there will probably still be sales in Japan and maybe Others.

Around the Network

1.8million month=> 0.45 million week OOOF that will be a hard drop
if all stockpiles are gone

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

leo-j said:
They need a graphics power house game(FF XIII, or killzone 2) a good game advertised with the ps3 at $349.99(40gb) and there you have it they took the U.S from microsoft.

With THAT I agree, leo-j (assuming you're talking about PS3 overtaking Xbox360 not Wii)

You all might think im crazy, but with a game like FFXIII exclusively advertised for the PS3, and at a price point of 299, I think the PS3 could be pushing near Wii numbers in the US.

Next years Christmas commercials will have (hopefully) FFXIII, KZ2, LBP, GT5, and MGS4 all in one commercial. All exclusive. Not only are those 4 of the best games to date, but they cover the RPG communities favorite game, racing communities favorite game, a shooter that has the potential to be the best technically ever, and the finale of the greatest action-shooter of all time.

IF (big if) all goes according to plan for Sony next year software-wise, and IF they have a price drop to 299, is it wrong to assume that they will be moving near 6 million consoles in the last 4 months of the year?

If the Wii proves anything positive for the PS3, it proves that if they spark enough interest, they can sell as many PS3's as they can make at the 299 price point.

All the consoles will fall next week, not just the Wii. The PS3 could fall the most simply because demand isn't there, despite all the supply ad infinitum.

Around the Network

My predictions are almost spot on. Only X360 was of by 400k :)

Predictions for December 31st 2008:
Wii 38,000,000
DS 84,500,000
PS3 17,000,000
PSP 41,000,000
X360 23,000,000

@Jandre02

1. FFXIII - worldwide popular
2. MGS4 - America & Others (although you're a criminal - 'action shooter' ? WTF?)
3. GT5 - worldwide popular
4. LBP - minimal worldwide
5. KZ2 - little interest in America & Others

So you think that while Sony enjoys its exclusives and sell all around Nintendo will be hitting flies and closing their warehouses?!?! In a year with Mario Kart Wii (worldwide popular), SSBB (worldwide popular), Monster Hunter 3 (Japan craze), WiiFit (worldwide craze), Tales of Symphonia (little interest ww), etc?!

Sony will certainly rise cosiderably, but Nintendo isn't going anywhere...

FishyJoe said:
All the consoles will fall next week, not just the Wii. The PS3 could fall the most simply because demand isn't there, despite all the supply ad infinitum.
Next weeks numbers still have the Sunday and Monday before Christmas.  There will likely still be some demand from all of the last minute shoppers.  There's also the post-Christmas sales from people that got gift cards or money.

I seriously doubt a handful of sequels are going to guarantee PS3 sales going through the roof, definitely not to the kind of levels that the Wii experiences. Every title listed there appeals to a narrow demographic of gamer, and while they will sell well, I don't see any of them being true "system sellers".

FF13 has a lot of stigmata working against it with pre-FF11 fans who don't like the shift the series has taken; I know I for one am not looking forward to it, in spite of having gotten all but FF11 of the previous mainstay FF games. Killzone 2 has plenty of competition as it is and had an underwhelming prequel; it's going to have to sell on hype alone. Gran Turismo 5 is largely going to appeal to the graphics-lovers and racing fans (which make up decidedly less than a majority of the gaming market, even combined); unless it gets bundled like GT4 did, I don't see it getting the kind of sales that even FF13 will. Little Big Planet is so very niche, I suspect another "Eye Toy" debacle may occur, ie. massive hype and low sales. MGS4 is definitely hyped, but so delayed that it's probably lost more than a few sales (definitely to the ones who are hoping on a 360 version).

Of all those listed, MGS4 has the most potential to move systems, and it's got the "wait to see if there's a 360 version announced" crowd working against it. I could be completely wrong on all of these, of course. But evidence against them being the system sellers people hope they will be is there.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Wojtas said:
The Europe ps3 sales numbers just awe struck me. This is a first, i think, for any console to have a larger userbase in Europe thanm in the US o.O . And while it's good that Europe buys those Ps3's, the market isn't anything as good as the US. I see trouble for the PS3 in the US.

I will assume you are talking Home console with that, because the DS is larger in Eu, and although there is nothing for it on this website i believe the Sega Master system bombed everywhere but Europe.

Also, amazingly, if the PS2 keeps it's trends after the holiday rush dies down, "other" PS2 may outsell America PS2, there is less than 1 million difference.