By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony hit with second attack, loses 12,700 Credit Card Numbers

NiKKoM said:
Grimes said:

Found more info:

http://www.soe.com/securityupdate/pressrelease.vm

The personal information of the approximately 24.6 million SOE accounts that was illegally obtained, to the extent it had been provided to SOE, is as follows:

• name
  • address
  • e-mail address
  • birthdate
  • login name
  • hashed password. 

In addition to the information above, the 10,700 direct debit records from accounts in Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Spain, include:

• bank account number
  • customer name
  • account name
  • customer address.

hmmm.. that should be enough to make a fake id and to commit identity theft at the bank to access funds...

At my bank they have our pictures on file. So when I access my account they pull a picture of me up to see if it really is. I'm not sure if all banks do that though.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:

This wasn't a second attack.  This was part of the first attack, only it wasn't until yesterday that SOE had become aware that they had also been hit.

Also, I'm not sure why people are giving Sony so much shit over this.  The attack was so severe the FBI and Homeland Security have gotten involved.  You're going to stop buying their products because some really damn good hackers decided Sony was their next target?

From what I've read, the intrusions were through an existing vulnerability that wasn't patched. It may have not taken "damn good hackers" as you call it, but merely criminals who took advantage of poor maintenance.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

so side note ...

i called chase to ask them to cancel my card and give me a new one.  chase told me that they have been monitoring my account since the attack was known ... did we know that sony had contacted the banks with the vulnerable accounts?

makingmusic476 said:

This wasn't a second attack.  This was part of the first attack, only it wasn't until yesterday that SOE had become aware that they had also been hit.

Also, I'm not sure why people are giving Sony so much shit over this.  The attack was so severe the FBI and Homeland Security have gotten involved.  You're going to stop buying their products because some really damn good hackers decided Sony was their next target?

The FBI is involved because Sony asked.  If you look at what Sony said about the hack, they used a prexisting flaw to hack into the Sony database that Sony didn't keep up on.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/01/psn_service_restoration/

That's why.

All the did was use the same technique some other hackers used... because Sony didn't have anyone to stay up to date on security matters.  (hence the new position.)

It would be like if Norton Anti-virus sold you their virus protection...

then never updated it. (NAV sucks, but you get the point.)

kitler53 said:

so side note ...

i called chase to ask them to cancel my card and give me a new one.  chase told me that they have been monitoring my account since the attack was known ... did we know that sony had contacted the banks with the vulnerable accounts?

Yes.  Though, by "attack was known" I wonder if they mean when PSN went down or when Sony told us.

Around the Network
Grimes said:
makingmusic476 said:

From what I've read, the intrusions were through an existing vulnerability that wasn't patched. It may have not taken "damn good hackers" as you call it, but merely criminals who took advantage of poor maintenance.

An existing vulnerability in the movie mission impossible was a person flying to another building and rapelling down a room's height. to activate a terminal within a 15 minute time frame.

I kid, I kid. Just don't infer anything more from "existing vulnerablity", other than they knew about the vulnerability.  

theprof00 said:
Grimes said:
makingmusic476 said:

An existing vulnerability in the movie mission impossible was a person flying to another building and rapelling down a room's height. to activate a terminal within a 15 minute time frame.

I kid, I kid. Just don't infer anything more from "existing vulnerablity", other than they knew about the vulnerability.  

Except they DIDN'T know about the vulernability.  Sony specifically said it was a known vulerability that they admitted not knowing about.

In otherwords, Sony was out of the loop of the security community.

So keeping my PS3 on a custom firmware and never connecting to PSN was a win? Who would have thought...

wait...so this wasn't a separate attack?

In the mean time I'm enjoying XBOX Live