By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony hit with second attack, loses 12,700 Credit Card Numbers

"Following up on this morning's news that Sony Online Entertainment servers were offline across the board, Japanese newspaper Nikkei reports (via BGR) that the company has lost 12,700 customer credit card numbers as the result of an attack. The company apparently took SOE servers offline after learning of the attack last evening, but has yet to issue a statement confirming that customer information has been lost.

Of the 12,700 total, 4,300 are alleged to be from Japan, while the remainder's origins are unknown. The report also notes that most of the numbers are said to be from expired cards, which Engadget posits could mean this was simply stolen data from an old backup.

The report doesn't mention whether last night's supposed breach is connected to the recent incidents involving Sony's PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, though an SOE representative told Joystiq that official comment would be coming from the company "within the hour.""

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/02/sony-hit-with-second-attack-loses-12-700-credit-card-nu/

Around the Network

Ooops didn't see the other thread. Thread closed

Ugh, as I said in the other thread I'm through with Sony this gen if true.

Even with the joke of giving us 30 free days of PSNPlus as a sign of an apology, I was willing to let this blow over.  I was even heavily considering getting an NGP over the 3DS because it does look like a cool device and the 3DS is only meh.  Now though, if true, screw Sony.  There's no chance I'll buy the NGP, I'll buy no multiplats for the PS3, and I'll simply borrow any exclusive I want to play.

It's amazing how little they care for their customers.

ouch, does not look too good for Sony right now, hackers really kicking Sont while its down.

Jeez, if the really lost credit cards after all that has happened, might was well stick a fork in Sony.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network

They are just having a rough time lately.

According to Kotakus site they said Sony believes this incident happened at the same time as the PSN hack.

This is millions of times worse than before if true. Before, there was a possibility of theft. Now, this is theft.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

twesterm said:

Ugh, as I said in the other thread I'm through with Sony this gen if true.

Even with the joke of giving us 30 free days of PSNPlus as a sign of an apology, I was willing to let this blow over.  I was even heavily considering getting an NGP over the 3DS because it does look like a cool device and the 3DS is only meh.  Now though, if true, screw Sony.  There's no chance I'll buy the NGP, I'll buy no multiplats for the PS3, and I'll simply borrow any exclusive I want to play.

It's amazing how little they care for their customers.

What about your customers Tommy? If you truly cared about your customers you would let us all play Star Wars: Kinect today!

Tease.

This is just great.. I really hope this doesn't cause an extended delay on the PSN coming back online. I'm so fucking fed up with waiting.

Proud owner of the PSone original, PSone slim, PS2 slim, PS3 slim, PSP-3000.

37 PS3 games and counting.

Wagram said:

They are just having a rough time lately.

According to Kotakus site they said Sony believes this incident happened at the same time as the PSN hack.

So it's been what, a week an half, and they aren't sure.