Forums - Sony Discussion - Buying a PSP Go!? Reccomendations needed!

So a german retailer is clearing its inventory of PSP Go's and is selling them for 99 Euro. Since you get a voucher for 10 free games with each PSP Go purchase you basically get the system for free. For comparism sake the PSP 3000 goes for 130 bucks on amazon - without any games.

While this is cool and all I'm not sure whether I would like a download-only machine since the german PSN store lacks a lot of games (even some released in other EU countries). So I got some questions and hope some of you guys can answer them.

Most important: If I decide to buy a PSP 3000 (or an NGP for that matter) later on to buy UMD games I can transfer all of my download content over to the 3000 model. But is that also true for the free download games you get with a PSP Go? Or will they be stuck with the Go model? I prefer my games to be on one handheld.

Second: Some people seem to hate the Go button layout. I don't have huge hands so I hope it will feel allright but still... any Go owners here?

Third: Downloading a title directly to a Go takes ages apparently. When you download the games via PC does the transfer from PC to PSP come across as easy or is it buggy and slow? I don't want to wait hours for my games to run.

And of course: Any games I absolutely need to buy? Secret masterpieces no one played? Tell me please

So yeah that's it for now... hope you guys can help me out here. Highly appreciate your help



Around the Network

1.  All downloaded games from the PSN are associated with a given PSN ID.  Your PSP GO (or PSP-3000) can be associated (activated) with 1 PSN ID.  Thus, if the game is on your PSP and you've activated the PSN account on the PSP, all games should work.  One side note, the current activation limit for PSPs is 5 meaning that you can have at most 5 PSPs activated on a single PSN account at the same time.

I'm assuming the NGP will have something similar.

2.I haven't used the Go too much (only in stores).  It seemed fine to me.

3.  Yeah 802.11b directly on the PSP is a tad slow.  Downloading on your PS3 or PC and transferring is much easier and not really buggy.  You just need MediaGo software on your PC and a USB cable to hook up to your PSP.

4.  Depends on your genre preference.  MGS: Peace Walker is a masterpiece IMO.  Both the God of War games are great (but short).  Crisis Core, Jeanne D'Arc, Persona 3...I can keep going.

 

I've always wanted a Go to replace my 2000 but I couldn't find any cheap enough.  $100 for Go 10 games sounds good to me :)



1. Yes, you can transfer all of your downloaded content to another PSP, like a PSP 3000. Just be aware that the PSN account you purchase your content through can only be linked to one PSP at a time. It hasn't been announced yet whether all of the purchased content can be transferred to an NGP.
Edit: Actually, I think EncodedNybble is correct. You can have a maximum of 5 PSPs linked to a single PSN account.

2. Sorry, I haven't played on a PSP GO before.

3. It's very simple and quick to transfer games from a PC to your PSP. It's also very simple from PS3 to PSP.

4. Games? A few that come to mind:
- PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe
- Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection (if you're a fan)
- Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
- Crisis Core (only available on UMD, unfortunately)
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Jeanne D'arc
- Patapon



EncodedNybble said:

1.  All downloaded games from the PSN are associated with a given PSN ID.  Your PSP GO (or PSP-3000) can be associated (activated) with 1 PSN ID.  Thus, if the game is on your PSP and you've activated the PSN account on the PSP, all games should work.  One side note, the current activation limit for PSPs is 5 meaning that you can have at most 5 PSPs activated on a single PSN account at the same time.

I'm assuming the NGP will have something similar.

Cool. That's what I wanted to know

2.I haven't used the Go too much (only in stores).  It seemed fine to me.

3.  Yeah 802.11b directly on the PSP is a tad slow.  Downloading on your PS3 or PC and transferring is much easier and not really buggy.  You just need MediaGo software on your PC and a USB cable to hook up to your PSP.

So I won't have to wait hours without playing - phew!

4.  Depends on your genre preference.  MGS: Peace Walker is a masterpiece IMO.  Both the God of War games are great (but short).  Crisis Core, Jeanne D'Arc, Persona 3...I can keep going.

Yeah I'm definitely looking into God of War - the second one and Jeanne D'Arc aren't available on PSN I think, though...

I've always wanted a Go to replace my 2000 but I couldn't find any cheap enough.  $100 for Go 10 games sounds good to me :)


Thanks mate That pretty much sealed the deal to me, haha

Yeah, I was really shocked to see that price point. I remember when they phased out the Dreamcast you would also get free games with it - but 10? Never seen this before And the PSP Essentials line is pretty awesome.



ISnt  Jeanne D'arc UMD only as well, i so want this for my PSP Go

/is in EU.



Around the Network
Arcturus said:

1. Yes, you can transfer all of your downloaded content to another PSP, like a PSP 3000. Just be aware that the PSN account you purchase your content through can only be linked to one PSP at a time. It hasn't been announced yet whether all of the purchased content can be transferred to an NGP.
Edit: Actually, I think EncodedNybble is correct. You can have a maximum of 5 PSPs linked to a single PSN account.

2. Sorry, I haven't played on a PSP GO before.

3. It's very simple and quick to transfer games from a PC to your PSP. It's also very simple from PS3 to PSP.

4. Games? A few that come to mind:
- PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe
- Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection (if you're a fan)
- Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
- Crisis Core (only available on UMD, unfortunately)
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Jeanne D'arc
- Patapon


Thanks It's almost too good to be true haha

I'll definitely look into the games you suggested (those available on PSN, that is...) Looking forward to Patapon and Loco Roco.



Xenostar said:

ISnt  Jeanne D'arc UMD only as well, i so want this for my PSP Go

/is in EU.


Yeah the European PSN store sucks. You'd think all of the major games would be available for download... Well if you ever see a dirt cheap PSP 3000 in the wild you can sell the Go and play through some of the UMD only games hehe.



UncleScrooge said:
Xenostar said:

ISnt  Jeanne D'arc UMD only as well, i so want this for my PSP Go

/is in EU.


Yeah the European PSN store sucks. You'd think all of the major games would be available for download... Well if you ever see a dirt cheap PSP 3000 in the wild you can sell the Go and play through some of the UMD only games hehe.


Got to be honest never wish i went for the go over the 3000 now, even tho i do use the dualshock3 option on the GO every now and then. 



Xenostar said:
UncleScrooge said:
Xenostar said:

ISnt  Jeanne D'arc UMD only as well, i so want this for my PSP Go

/is in EU.


Yeah the European PSN store sucks. You'd think all of the major games would be available for download... Well if you ever see a dirt cheap PSP 3000 in the wild you can sell the Go and play through some of the UMD only games hehe.


Got to be honest never wish i went for the go over the 3000 now, even tho i do use the dualshock3 option on the GO every now and then. 

I see where you're coming from, really. I'd never go with a Go myself if it weren't for that incredible amount of software included. It's kind of a mixed bag.



Oh hrm, yeah I can't speak for the EU PSN content, sorry.  Us unilingual speaking people here in the US have both the latest GoW and Jeanne D'Arc on the PSN.

You could also make a US PSN account, download games there and then activate your PSP on that account.  Only issue with that is you'd have to switch back to your EU account on your PSP to play your EU games.  I'm also unsure if it would work in practice (I haven't tried).