By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How to Audit and Update your Passwords

There are three key differences here between this and the PSN hack.

• LastPass does the smart thing and actually encrypts the things it stores
  • They do not have your master password
  • If you try to log into someone's LastPass from a new site, you must input the master password

This isn't on anywhere near the same scale as the PSN hack because LastPass actually did things correctly.

Around the Network
twesterm said:

• If you try to log into someone's LastPass from a new site, you must input the master password

This isn't on anywhere near the same scale as the PSN hack because LastPass actually did things correctly.

So basically the hackers got nothing and it still sfae to use lastpass? I want to switch to it

thranx said:
twesterm said:

So basically the hackers got nothing and it still sfae to use lastpass? I want to switch to it

According to them worst case scenario was login credentials taken (email address) and encrypted data that anyone is not likely to get as long as your password is not weak.

My password is strong (more than eight characters, special characters, numbers, and upper/lower case characters) so I'm not too worried.  Still, I did change it just to be safe.

https://lastpass.com/status.php

twesterm said:

Plus, if you're paying for the service, you can use Sesame, which generates a one time password that needs to be entered before you can log on too. If you have both that and a strong master password, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Rainbird said:
twesterm said:

Plus, if you're paying for the service, you can use Sesame, which generates a one time password that needs to be entered before you can log on too. If you have both that and a strong master password, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Yeah, as far as security breaches go this one is pretty mild.  At worst someone else now has my email address.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:

Hope nobody did this.

Supposedly Lastpass was hacked too.

This news seems to be days old but while listening to the radio today I hear about it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/227223/lastpass_online_password_manager_may_have_been_hacked.html

I guess nothing is safe.

The whole concept of online password storing seems a little ridiculous...

If I was among the people that were paranoid about their info getting stolen, the last thing I'd do is be using something like this.

Did papers and pencils go out of style?!

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

Parasitic said:

The whole concept of online password storing seems a little ridiculous...

If I was among the people that were paranoid about their info getting stolen, the last thing I'd do is be using something like this.

Did papers and pencils go out of style?!

In concept it may seem weird, but it can be done in a way that is very safe and with the convenience of the internet at the same time.

LastPass don't store anything online that hasn't been encrypted using your master password for the encryption key, so if you have a good master password, even if your data is stolen, it should be near impossible to decrypt your passwords without the master password.