By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Where does the security breach rank to you in console mishaps ?

Wagram said:

Change your CC numbers and passwords. What else can they do to you? Send you scam emails? They don't have my SSN number, and I don't think I put in my accurate year for my DOB on my PS3. Lol.

Also some of you seem to be forgetting that Sony isn't the person or persons stealing your information here. Stop putting a full force blame solely on them.

Info was there for sony to protect plus it also took them more than a week to tell its users that their info may be compromised. Yes the blame not all rest on sony ,but the aftermath of it all and sony's response to it is nothing short of abhorible.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Around the Network
irstupid said:

well not sure how true, cause it was on the news and the news is usually complete bull.

but last night on the news they mentioned this ps3 and the newscaster said the whole doom speech of how your name, address, email, birthdate, credit card, ect you name it were stolen from 70 million ps3 owners.

Doom Speech? You clearly dont think this is actually realistic lol

but the thing that surprised me was when after that he mentioned how this could cost sony up to 23 BILLION dollars.  I have no idea how valid this number is and where he got it, but if that is true, then this totally trumps red ring of death on all accounts. 

I mean first of all, whats worse, having to get a new 360 cause your got RROD, or having the paranoia that someone has all your personal info for identity theft or just plain theft.  and what was RROD costs?  like 5 billion or something?  and this potentially 20 billion. 

I'd ignore numbers till it gets official tbh. RROD was a planned cost at the end of it. This will be a lump sum out of nowhere. 

though take this all with grain of salt, it was on the news.  But again, 90% of people are idiots, so theyw ill all believe this to be 1000% true.  Hell my parents are like total anti video games and don't ever pay attention or look at anything game related and they asked me about this

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

This has been on national TV and most major publications have commented on it.

This is really bad for Sony.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

AussieGecko said:
irstupid said:

well not sure how true, cause it was on the news and the news is usually complete bull.

but last night on the news they mentioned this ps3 and the newscaster said the whole doom speech of how your name, address, email, birthdate, credit card, ect you name it were stolen from 70 million ps3 owners.

Doom Speech? You clearly dont think this is actually realistic lol

but the thing that surprised me was when after that he mentioned how this could cost sony up to 23 BILLION dollars.  I have no idea how valid this number is and where he got it, but if that is true, then this totally trumps red ring of death on all accounts. 

I mean first of all, whats worse, having to get a new 360 cause your got RROD, or having the paranoia that someone has all your personal info for identity theft or just plain theft.  and what was RROD costs?  like 5 billion or something?  and this potentially 20 billion. 

I'd ignore numbers till it gets official tbh. RROD was a planned cost at the end of it. This will be a lump sum out of nowhere. 

though take this all with grain of salt, it was on the news.  But again, 90% of people are idiots, so theyw ill all believe this to be 1000% true.  Hell my parents are like total anti video games and don't ever pay attention or look at anything game related and they asked me about this

seems most articles online have also stated those numbers and that those were all stolen

i was not saying i believe the news or these articles i was merely stating this is bad for sony to be having primetime newstations saying this stuff.  how accurate or factual it ends up being you have millions of people worldwide hearing that essentially all their personal information and any credit cards used are now in someone elses hands.

then you have stockholders hearing about how this could cost sony 22 billion dollars.  true or not the stock mainly fluctuates due to peoples programs figuring out what to buy/sell and you can bet your ass that press release info like that will cause some selling.

and then lets look at psn's future.  what does sony do?  hell you almost thin you need to start charging, but then how does that look if you have this big fiascol and then you start charging people when they have no trust in you.  speaking of trust, this will also resort to people being warry of purchasing things on psn and thsu psn sales drop.

overall its not a good situation for sony.  doen't matter if that 22 billion number ends up being only a billion.

For one I dont know why people keep saying that Credit Card info has been breached or even been given out,  its not been confirmed that this has happened.  

And no one really knows how great Sony's security really was,  it could have been setup extremely well. And that means nothing because security systems around the world are hacked on a regular basis, even the really good ones.  

Sony's only blunder I see is that they didnt seem to take the security breach seriously and didnt inform the account holders that a possible security breach happened and their information may have been compromised.   Now at 77M accounts that a big F'N blunder.  It easily outshines RROD or anything else that happened this gen.  

Luckily for me this breach wont affect me much anyway due to the precautions I take on a regular basis anyway, due to past incidents and what not.  In the end this will just be a minor inconvienence for me.