By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you (still) believe it was members of Anonymous that hacked the PSN?

Tagged games:

Do you (still) believe it was members of Anonymous that hacked the PSN?

Yes 143 41.81%

No 93 27.19%

Don't Know 34 9.94%

View results plox 72 21.05%

Total:342
Max King of the Wild said:

Why does personal info matter if its encrypted? You do a basic search on my name and you get my FB account (Which is set to private)Myspace account. My user names for various things. You get my babys registry from babies r us and my girlfriends name. You do a yellow page search and you get my address and phone number.... So why does it matter is personal info is encrypted? You can get more stuff on a basic google search than you can on sonys network.

And sony never admitted in anything being stolen as far as Im aware. All ive read so far is them saying that their network has been breached and that there is a possibility of their customers personal info has been accessed. They say it was malicious. And in their eyes it was a malicious attack... But what was the hacker trying to accomplish? Maybe he was trying to add $10,000 to our psn wallets. Who is to say he breached the network to ssteal our identities.

Yea, because people hack things to give you money.. That is a pipe dream at best

Also a quote from Sony "There’s a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers’ data being compromised." http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/clarifying-a-few-psn-points/

You also seem to be missing the point of what the personal data and passwords of 70 million people can be worth. There is a reason people data mine, now imagin getting all the info in one nice location, with no searching like with facebook. Then add the possibility of credit info as well, and you have everything you need to start making fraudulent charges on peoples credit/debit cards. The type of encryption means everything and when you store credit and personal info in one spot, you should be taking the same measures as the banks do and use a 256 bit encryption.

Around the Network

Why does personal info matter if its encrypted? You do a basic search on my name and you get my FB account (Which is set to private)Myspace account. My user names for various things. You get my babys registry from babies r us and my girlfriends name. You do a yellow page search and you get my address and phone number.... So why does it matter is personal info is encrypted? You can get more stuff on a basic google search than you can on sonys network.

And sony never admitted in anything being stolen as far as Im aware. All ive read so far is them saying that their network has been breached and that there is a possibility of their customers personal info has been accessed. They say it was malicious. And in their eyes it was a malicious attack... But what was the hacker trying to accomplish? Maybe he was trying to add $10,000 to our psn wallets. Who is to say he breached the network to ssteal our identities.

Muhshuhu said:

Yea, because people hack things to give you money.. That is a pipe dream at best

Also a quote from Sony "There’s a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers’ data being compromised." http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/clarifying-a-few-psn-points/

You also seem to be missing the point of what the personal data and passwords of 70 million people can be worth. There is a reason people data mine, now imagin getting all the info in one nice location, with no searching like with facebook. Then add the possibility of credit info as well, and you have everything you need to start making fraudulent charges on peoples credit/debit cards. The type of encryption means everything and when you store credit and personal info in one spot, you should be taking the same measures as the banks do and use a 256 bit encryption.

theres no proof that these people where being malicious... all i heard about was how anonymous is going to do something like put all the ps store items to $0. So how is it surprising when something involving our accounts comes out after anonymous says they still have tricks up its sleeves. being "comprimised" isnt the same as being stolen. it just means who ever did this could obtain the data if they wanted... yeah man... totally get my psn id password. go play games online!

Muhshuhu said:

theres no proof that these people where being malicious... all i heard about was how anonymous is going to do something like put all the ps store items to $0. So how is it surprising when something involving our accounts comes out after anonymous says they still have tricks up its sleeves. being "comprimised" isnt the same as being stolen. it just means who ever did this could obtain the data if they wanted... yeah man... totally get my psn id password. go play games online!

Yea, because people get hit with class action lawsuits over maybes and ifs
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164392p1.html

Muhshuhu said:
Muhshuhu said:

Yea, because people get hit with class action lawsuits over maybes and ifs
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164392p1.html

The validity of that suit is a joke. Also, these people are reacting on the information they know.... which isn't anythng because they are not the hacker.