By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Searching for Gunpei Yokoi

A nice article at The Escapist Magazine. Here's an excerpt:

Yokoi's next big hit came to him as he rode home one evening on the bullet train. The exhausted engineer noticed the gentleman next to him fiddling with an LCD calculator. Yokoi watched, fascinated, as the bored man punched buttons in idle boredom. Suddenly, Yokoi wondered if weary commuters, looking to pass the time, might be interested in a portable gaming device. Thus was the Nintendo Game and Watch born.

Nothing new but a nice tribute to the legend. 

Around the Network

I have always wandered what would happen if he was still alive, I bet he would make something amazing for the wii and just imagine how good metroid prime would be

killed by the Yakuza for leaving Nintendo and making the Wonder Swan

That damn Virtua Boy.

THat true about the yakuza

Around the Network

you would think not, but one never knows.

He was riding with someone from Nintendo one day (after he had left mind you), there is an accident, and they both get out of the car to look, and suddenly the two of them and their car are squashed by two other cars on either end... tell me that doesn't just sound "wow"

-- From wikipedia--

On October 4, 1997, Yokoi was involved in a car accident. He was riding in a car driven by Etsuo Kiso, a businessman from Nintendo. After a minor car accident involving a truck, Kiso and Yokoi pulled over to examine the damage of the two automobiles. While examining, two cars rammed into the broken down car from either side, crushing Yokoi. Yokoi was taken to a hospital and died two hours later. Kiso suffered two badly broken bones and severe whiplash.

Huh, thats pretty hard believe. If it was an accident then it was a pretty freak accident