By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Finland: consumer board says Sony should pay dude €100 for OtherOS removal

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2011/04/21/sony_should_pay_100_to_man_for_otheros_removal_consumer_board_says

Sony should pay €100 to man for OtherOS removal, consumer board says

Written by James Delahunty @ 21 Apr 2011 11:18 User comments (10)

Finnish consumer board balks at Sony's killing of OtherOS functionality, and thinks the consumer electronics giant should pay up.
A Finnish man purchased a PlayStation 3 (PS3) console last year for €268.90. At the time of purchase, the product was being presented with capabilities to install an alternative operating system, such as a Linux distribution.

However, it is well known now that Sony decided to axe the popular "OtherOS" functionality, citing security concerns. Consumers who had previously purchased the console would see the functionality disappear after installing a firmware update.

Choosing not to install updates in an attempt to preserve the OtherOS functionality would cripple other functions of the console, such as online features, and could block out newer game titles.

The man at the center of the case in Finland, which was brought to the Consumer Complaints Board, lost the ability to use an alternative operating system after an update was installed from a new game. He was seeking €150 in damages for the removal of the OtherOS feature.

The CCB said that the removal of OtherOS crippled console features that were present at the time of purchase, and agreed that consumers should be compensated. It recommended that the manufacturer and seller of the console pay €100 jointly to compensate the man.

The CCB does not have the power to enforce its ruling, but the opinion of the CCB in Finland is considered by the courts in a dispute.

More info (in Finnish): Uusi Suomi
---------------------

..cases will gonna point to this in court... even worse: if the seller also needs to pay they are gonna go after Sony as manufacturer..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

"The CCB does not have the power to enforce its ruling, but the opinion of the CCB in Finland is considered by the courts in a dispute. "

What exactly does "is considered" mean? Does it mean the court merely pays lip-service to acknowledging their arguments? Or do they have real influence.

In any case, it's nice to see a precedent has been set. Sony clearly sold their console under the understanding that buyers would be able to use Linux and also use PSN. They then forced their customers to give up the ability to do one of these things, so there's no doubt that Sony acted illegally and that the EULA doesn't give them a leg to stand on. 

How many fat PS3s did they sell? €100 x 30million (or whatever) is a lot of money!

well, i can tell you this.  sony will never make the mistake of giving consumers a device with extra features ever again if the courts take this consideration seriously.  

apparently nintendo got is right when they made their device not even able to play dvds ...

kitler53 said:

well, i can tell you this.  sony will never make the mistake of giving consumers a device with extra features ever again if the courts take this consideration seriously.  

Don't worry.

If Sony stop adding features to their consoles becase they find it too hard to obey the law, we can always buy different consoles. Or play on the PC.

Sony, in its arrogance, seems to forget that it is they who rely on the customers, not the other way around.

I forsee Sony coming last in the next generation too, if they don't start respecting their customers more.

This is reasonable. With that said, im pretty sure a formal demand of 100$ to Sony would have worked without the trouble of going to court. The other reasonable arrengement would be to fully refund the price paid by the consumer upon return of his PS3 to Sony.

Around the Network
Icyedge said:

This is reasonable. With that said, im pretty sure a formal demand of 100$ to Sony would have worked without the trouble of going to court.

It would, but that isn't the point of the case.

The point is for Sony to be found in breach of consumer rights laws and for a precedent to be set.

It also sends out a message that big companies aren't above the law.

I brought the ps3 slim thought it can play ps2 games can i have a $100 could use it to buy another guitar pedal.

"We don't always hack sites but when we do, we prefer Sony"-Anonymous

http://www.cristgaming.com/pirate.swf

Kamiyama said:

I brought the ps3 slim thought it can play ps2 games can i have a $100 could use it to buy another guitar pedal.

1/10 (the 1 is for making me respond)

Try to make the strawman a little less obvious next time, m'kay?

Kudistos Megistos said:
Kamiyama said:

1/10 (the 1 is for making me respond)

Try to make the strawman a little less obvious next time, m'kay?

WOW!!! Thanks for responding to my post what an honor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"We don't always hack sites but when we do, we prefer Sony"-Anonymous

http://www.cristgaming.com/pirate.swf

Kamiyama said:

WOW!!! Thanks for responding to my post what an honor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should feel lucky. Not many people would get a response after such poor trolling.