By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will the psn become a paid service after this issue is resolved?

Baalzamon said:
qmoney88 said:
mantlepiecek said:

They already have a paid service, plus members will get some kind of "oops we are sorry for the f*ck up, here's your reward for being patient enough even if you weren't" item on the PSN.

True, unfortunately for those without playstation plus I doubt sony will offer something for free to everyone due to the fact that there are several individuals with multiple accounts, so offering something for free for plus members makes more sense

I think your reasoning is a little off here though.  If they decide to give everybody a $5 psn game for example, what difference does it make if somebody has 5 accounts.  Downloading the same game 5 times doesn't do them any good.

"We don’t charge for the basic functions of the network like matching services. Things like that are taken for granted on a PC, aren’t they? There’s the feeling of why a game console gets to charge for a service that’s normal on a PC. So, we just made the basic services available, and based our business on the contents," he said.

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2006/06/7040.ars

Like I said, it was marketed with free online so they can't start charging even if they wanted too.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

no but its likely next gen or the current model will stick with more features.

never know

Nah.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Didn't read whole thread, so someone may have said this, but Pachter (I know, I know) estimates they do about $10 million in sales a week on PSN, with a profit of about $3 million.  Add in damage control, refunds, the cost of redoing the network, an "I'm sorry" gift for users, the handfuls of people who might choose another system to buy - or at least to spend their software money on this month, etc.   And it becomes a decent chunk of change the longer this goes on.  

For example, when XBL went down that Christmas, I turned to WoW and got sucked back in for three months straight.  I would've bought a couple games and a couple downloadables in that timespan.  Instead Blizzard got my money.  And it never would've happened had XBL been up and running on my winter break.  

Worse if they do end up finding out credit cards have been leaked and used, as obviously they have liability there and it opens up the possibilities of individual/class-action lawsuits/settlements as they didn't live up to their end of the EULA agreement that goes on forever every time they update the system.

It's an expense they don't need for a product line where they are still in the red lifetime in a big way.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

No, it's too late for that. PSN's image has been tarnished by this ordeal. No one in their right mind will pay for a weak secured online experience.