By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ps2 still alive after 8 years!

leo-j said:
@alex

I dont get it, when its not about the wii Power(graphicle) matters so much to them..

PS2 graphics are on par with dreamcast.

But when its the wii its a whole different story.

No, graphics don't matter to me. I still play my Atari 2600 occasionally. Okay, I don't consider the Playstation 2 dead to me, no console is dead to me, but it should be a dead console. I don't play it nearly as much anymore. It has officially joined the group of all of my other, older consoles, in that I do play it occasionally, but not nearly as much as before. The Wii is new. The graphics are better than the Playstation 2, and the wiimote more than makes up for the lack of powerful graphics. I now play my Wii, Playstation 3, and Xbox 360. The entire 6th generation, for me, is not dead, but has joined all of the previous generations, in that I will play them occasionally, but not as much as the current generation. Once a new generation emerages, the older generation almost gets forgotten.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
@alex

I dont get it, when its not about the wii Power(graphicle) matters so much to them..

PS2 graphics are on par with dreamcast.

But when its the wii its a whole different story.

yeah, thats because we all acept and know that the PS2 is from the last generation of consoles, but the wii is competing with this generation of console and the graphical differnece is hudge.

Every wii owner wishes the wii had HD graphics as good as those on PS3 and 360, it's only human nature to like beautiful looking things and ther's nothing wrong with that, I mean how many of you would say no to a Wii with it's current wiimote and with  graphics just as good as the PS3 and 360, huh?

I don't care about the graphics. I only mentioned that the Playstation 2 had graphics on par with the Dreamcast, to give an idea on how old it is. That was all.

If Wii had graphics as strong as the Playstation 3, and Xbox 360, it would be more expensive, and would not do as well, especially since the Gamecube was not a major success, before it. Sure, it would be a bonus, if the price remained the same, but that wont happen. The Wii is a true console of this generation, because of the wiimote, not because of the graphics. Graphics alone do not make a console of this generation.

I'm a complete noob to the site but what was the motivation for omitting PS2 hardware sales from the table on the front page?

It shouldn't be in the graphs because that would be screwy, but considering the PS2 will outsell the PS3 and the Xbox 360 this year, it strikes me as odd that its not included in the table underneath.

Even in the 2007 Christmas holidays the PS2 is outselling the Xbox 360 in Europe.

Console marketshare for JUST 2007 (excluding handhelds):

PS2 + PS3 = 8,230,868 + 6,888,040 = 15,118,908 or 40.6%

Xbox + Xbox360 = 7,195 + 7,357,179 = 7,364,374 or 19.8%

GC + Wii = 180,081 + 14,554,289 = 14,734,370 or 39.6%

I think Sony will continue to sell 15 million consoles per year, with any slack from the PS2 being made up in the PS3. Just my thoughts.

Prediction:

The PS2 & PS3 will outsell the Wii in 2008.

Lifetime sales of PS3 in Japan will be at least 8 million consoles.

^^It's because we've already established that Sony was the undisputed champion of last gen. We're more interested to see how this generation is going.

Around the Network
MrPickles said:
^^It's because we've already established that Sony was the undisputed champion of last gen. We're more interested to see how this generation is going.

I agree that this is what most people are interested in, including myself. But the thing won't die, and there's no denying that its effecting sales of systems this generation.

Prediction:

The PS2 & PS3 will outsell the Wii in 2008.

Lifetime sales of PS3 in Japan will be at least 8 million consoles.

Man, when those motion sensing games+peripheral come out for the PS2, the PS2 will just kill it in sales especially given it's very low price point.

What is "it"? The PS3? Then I agree. The Wii? No way.

But yes, with another price cut and bundles the PS2 will get some new life for a few years.

stranne said:

But yes, with another price cut and bundles the PS2 will get some new life for a few years.

The PS2 is getting a series of motoin sensing games that come with motion sensing contollers, so their was going to be like a wii tennis, we base ball and so forth type of games on the PS2, though I'm not sure if that still going ahead or if it's been scrapped.

Destroyer of knights said:
stranne said:

The PS2 is getting a series of motoin sensing games that come with motion sensing contollers, so their was going to be like a wii tennis, we base ball and so forth type of games on the PS2, though I'm not sure if that still going ahead or if it's been scrapped.

Yes, I know, I've seen the videos. But it won't sell much, and surely won't make PS2 sell more than Wii.