By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why is the 360 doing horrible in the Others Category?

I don't think it's hate for Microsoft so much as it's continued love for the Playstation brand, in combination will an unexpected affinity for the new type of Nintendo non-gaming, leaving them in the dust.

Bear in mind also that many of Xbox's strong suits (obsession with online gaming and HD display) aren't as ubiquitous with the like of BT and their ilk ripping us off on broadband, and HDTV's being less well adopted.

Around the Network

Others have always been for the most part loyal Sony consumers, many individuals from various countries in the "Others" category have stated here from time to time on VGchartz that people in their country will buy a Sony product without even knowing what it is. I'm sure that is quite a bit of an exageration but it still illustrates a well known (if only anecdotal) preference in Europe and others since the PS1. Afterall, something had to take the place of the Sega.

The price of the PS3 at $1,000 American dollars was quite frankly even too much for them though and now that it's been brought down they can finally indulge in their beloved Sony product once more.

"Others" may very well turn out to be Sony's strong hold this generation.

360 has pockets where it is still sucessful... UK, Australlia, All Others, and Scandanavia...

Where it is behind though, it is really behind... Germany, France, Spain, Italy, etc.

I think it points to brand recognition as stated by Microsoft. Microsoft has spent way more effort on UK and Australlia putting the brand out there. They need to do the same in all the other territories.

Parokki said:
1. It's expensive and it isn't a Playstation. Only Sony can afford to screw up as much as they have and still have fans.

2. It's heavily focused on FPS and online. Europe doesn't hate those things like Japan, but doesn't like them as much as the US either.

3. It's from the US, and everything from that side of the Atlantic has a bad reputation due to a bunch of reasons like how they elected a monkey for a president, his enthusiasm to occupy random developing countries, and how there is actually debate on wether evolution and climate change exist. Disagree with me as much as you like, but this is how a lot of people perceive things.

The last reason probably gets too much attention, but it's definitely there.

# 3.  Thank you ever so much for openly insulting Americans in general.  It really contributed a great deal to the thread.  Perhaps you could learn to be a little more tactful, such as stating "many Europeans disagree strongly on a political level with the American government" instead of venting your spleen about how stupid we were for electing a "monkey".

crumas2 said:
Parokki said:
1. It's expensive and it isn't a Playstation. Only Sony can afford to screw up as much as they have and still have fans.

2. It's heavily focused on FPS and online. Europe doesn't hate those things like Japan, but doesn't like them as much as the US either.

3. It's from the US, and everything from that side of the Atlantic has a bad reputation due to a bunch of reasons like how they elected a monkey for a president, his enthusiasm to occupy random developing countries, and how there is actually debate on wether evolution and climate change exist. Disagree with me as much as you like, but this is how a lot of people perceive things.

The last reason probably gets too much attention, but it's definitely there.

# 3.  Thank you ever so much for openly insulting Americans in general.  It really contributed a great deal to the thread.  Perhaps you could learn to be a little more tactful, such as stating "many Europeans disagree strongly on a political level with the American government" instead of venting your spleen about how stupid we were for electing a "monkey".

#3 Thank you ever so much for missing Parokki's final sentence. And we WERE stupid, even if Parokki was unkind to make fun of Bush's face. Perhaps some of us don't feel like mincing words. (But I disagree with Parokki that #3 is actually a correct reason.)

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

I'm in others and I will explain. In UK Australia Asia Middle East the 360 is doing brilliantly. But in countries like Spain Italy Germany there live a homosexual people and for that reason the 360's success in those areas is as bad as japan believe it or not.

Currently Playing: Gears 2, World at War, GTA IV, Banjo Nuts and Bolts

The Greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Stephen Hawking

It doesnt sell here because its not from here. We Europeans go for quality and since the X360 has had all the issues with RROD and so on, we buy PS3's because they work, and a vast majority of Europe hates Microsoft and the US because of their politics. I don't buy any products from Microsoft because I don't agree with their way of handling things, plus that Windows is complete bullshit and they keep releasing crappy OS's. I only use it because the games come to it and the drivers works best for it. I havnt payed for my copy though and I never will..

Bottomline is that Europe is more focused on quality and durability then I can imagine the US is. And when we play the games that come to X360 (fps), we play them on PC, like its supposed to be played..

PSN: TrbSvns.

TurboSvans said:

It doesnt sell here because its not from here. We Europeans go for quality and since the X360 has had all the issues with RROD and so on, we buy PS3's because they work, and a vast majority of Europe hates Microsoft and the US because of their politics. I don't buy any products from Microsoft because I don't agree with their way of handling things, plus that Windows is complete bullshit and they keep releasing crappy OS's. I only use it because the games come to it and the drivers works best for it. I havnt payed for my copy though and I never will..

Bottomline is that Europe is more focused on quality and durability then I can imagine the US is. And when we play the games that come to X360 (fps), we play them on PC, like its supposed to be played..

"We don't buy it because it's not from Europe. We don't buy it because it breaks all the time. We don't buy it because we hate Microsoft. We don't buy it because we hate America. We buy PS3s (Japanese) because they don't break. I don't buy MS products because I hate MS and I hate Windows, but I use it, but I pirate." I suppose (almost) none of those statements are contradictory, but I don't think you really make a good case for any one of them, and none of them really connect to each other.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

A few reasons. But looking at the whole spectrum of things, there are a few notables:

#1. The X360 is selling poorly in mainland Europe...Not the entirety of 'others'. This is due to a poor brandname image (MS is kind of the poster boy for evil American corporationism).

#2. The X360 in last place this Christmas might be bad to some, but is still beating what the Xbox did in the similar timeframe. The issue is that consumers are not picking the X360 over the PS3/Wii ultra-quickly. The PS3 has had the price drops quick enough to maintain the forward momentum the PS2 had, keeping it viable. The Wii is going off the ultra-casual momentum the DS has created and fostered in non-UK countries, scewing the data.

Despite this, there are still a few places the X360 is doing fairly well - a quick look at the console race shows the X360 is still maintaining some sort of decent sales in the UK, Scandanavia, Italy, Other Europe, Austrailia, and the 'others' markets.

The "issue" the X360 has is that it's doing quite well versus the Xbox, and will actually wind up the 4th most popular console in Other territories in history (next to the PS1-3, and Wii). But when you compare it to what the Wii/PS3 are doing, and the fact that the X360 is failing to totally stomp the sales patterns of the Xbox. The Xbox sold ~8m units in the "others". The X360 is already at 5m in 2 years. So it's done about 65% of the Xbox's LTD in 50% of the time.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I don't think the small group of members on this site equal the entire European nation. Plus 360 is not that big of a failure in Europe if you do the math. PS3 #'s in Europe only grew 25%, and the 360 #'s about 20%. The difference in percentage does not support the notion that Others as a whole hate the 360. Anyway this subject's getting old.