By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Vgchartz ranking game--Heavy Rain!!

non-gravity said:

MaxwellGT2000 said:

Not to make your only good point a negative buuuut the game isn't that original either lol if you've watched any crime thriller, especially the ones that came out not long after Slience of the Lambs the story is almost like one of those cookie cutter movie stories.  If you're talking about game play wise, QTEs are being worn out, and the idea of branching characters changing the storyline is also kinda old though very few do it right even given how old it is.

Lol. Maybe there's a better word than original, but as an overall package it's not your ordinary game. 

Though I can't say I've played many point and click adventures as you called it.

Ah that's quite sad actually, point and click adventures are very entertaining and fun, I'm so glad with the DS and Wii that they had somewhat of a revival of sorts, if you want one that will knock your socks off, has multiple endings, has a very good story without the plotholes (yes lots of people die), and has some really good brain teasers, try 999 on the DS.  

Heavy Rain is a very cinematic version of a point and click, it's in the style of the Tim Schafer (cause for the life of me I can't remember the old ones in the same style I used to play but Schafers work is a good reference) point and clicks where the character is on the screen and you search around the area for the items of interest, this is what you do with Heavy Rain the only difference is you're moving the character and not an arrow to tell your character to go... essentially your character is your pointer in HR.  

Anyway the genre is full of amazing tales (they were the origin of the modern cinematic games) and as long as you like puzzle games the genre is most certainly for you.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
yo_john117 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Instead of giving an entire essay (which I promised VGC I'd give, but am still working on it), I'll just symbol and grade.

The game had it's ups and downs, but the downs are few and far between and it's brilliance rein (pun intended) supreme!

= 9.2/10

No 12/10 score? :P

I know it's mainly a joke from you but contrary to some beliefs around here, I don't consider HR to be the best gaming has to offer, nor is it perfect. On the flip side, it was a balanced blend of emotion,tehnology, drama, and intrigue, and for that, it's not only my favorite game of all time, but it gets a fair score (in my view) of 92.

I love this sort of thing. People always misinterpret their favorite game with the BEST game. Sometimes, they just aren't. Like you, i see the flaws in my favorite game inFAMOUS and would rate it near an 8.5

OT:

The good:

- Detail and animation are great on the characters

- The story really drives home with some great emotion

- Character are believable, the voice acting is superb

- Pacing, and gameplay is super refined. The game had me on my toes the whole time (minus the beginning)

- Excellent replay value if you want to see all the endings

The bad:

- While the characters look amazing, a lot of objects in the game don't.

- Way too short

- While the endings are different every time, playing one new scene every new playthrough just isn't worth imo, the rest of the game just got very boring after seeing it 2 times.

Verdict: 8.5

non-gravity said:

The bad:

-Slow boring pace. I never yawned this much in a game.

-Voice-acting

-Music 

-Technical awkwardies

-Plot hole ridden story

-Walking mechanics

-A big disappointment after Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit

The good

-Original

Score: 4.5

I think you should give some examples of all those negatives bro. Because i completly disagree you and don't see how the voice acting or pacing was bad =l

radiantshadow92 said:
non-gravity said:

The bad:

-Voice-acting

-Music 

-Technical awkwardies

-Plot hole ridden story

-Walking mechanics

The good

-Original

I think you should give some examples of all those negatives bro. Because i completly disagree you and don't see how the voice acting or pacing was bad =l

No, he shouldn't, he already stated his pro and cons.

Great game, original design - 9.6

Around the Network

.1 better than an 8.5.

GOOD:

One of the best stories and most engaging stories in video gaming history
A real feeling of "wow I am controlling this universe and the outcome, I'd better not screw it up!"
I cared about the characters
Good ending(s)
Most QTEs were very fun
Had the only female video game character that I actually thought was good looking (a testament to the graphics and storytelling), and absolutely the only VG character whose boobs I wanted to see. And I DID!!!

NOT GOOD:

Little replay value (though worth the $60, an interesting dichotomy)
Awful, awful controls walking and running
Some sequences were really lame

In general, one of my favorite games I've ever experienced. More fun to experience than it is to play - the actual video game mechanics were not great (like Indigo Prophecy)

okr said:
radiantshadow92 said:
non-gravity said:

The bad:

-Voice-acting

-Music 

-Technical awkwardies

-Plot hole ridden story

-Walking mechanics

The good

-Original

I could go to any game and say it was bad. For example, i could go on a killzone 3 thread and say the grapchics suck, do they suck though? NO. However, if i were to give examples as to why i think the graphics suck, then maybe my statements can hold. His however, have no evidence or examples. I would simply like some. And i don't think his score should count unless he does.

the plot holes are what stop me from rating it higher

radiantshadow92 said:
okr said:
radiantshadow92 said:
non-gravity said:

The bad:
-Voice-acting
-Music 
-Technical awkwardies
-Plot hole ridden story
-Walking mechanics

The good
-Original

I could go to any game and say it was bad. For example, i could go on a killzone 3 thread and say the grapchics suck, do they suck though? NO. However, if i were to give examples as to why i think the graphics suck, then maybe my statements can hold. His however, have no evidence or examples. I would simply like some. And i don't think his score should count unless he does.

We have two people in this thread who gave the game a 9.5 without stating any reason. According to the rules in the OP those two shouldn't count - if any - not non-gravity's score. Did anyone judge the numerous 9.5 or higher scores in this thread? No, and we shouldn't.

I could easily start a redundant discussion and say that many of the scores posted here are ridiculously high IMO and that I disagree with them, but I don't as it's obvious that most VGC members who played HR liked it much more than I do. I always respect other people's opinions and don't question them. (BTW: the reason I consider HR only as a decent game are pretty much the same as mentioned in details in this thread by Maxwell. For me HR is a graphic adventure game and I compare it to the more than 50 games from this genre I played over the past 20 years - to me HR is a nice adventure game, but nothing special).

Did anyone question the only sub 5 score posted so far in this thread, even though the member stated his pro and cons along with his vote? Yes, you did, but I think you shouldn't.

If you start to question other people's opinions, if you start to suspect people to be insincere and to down-vote a game on purpose, then these ranking threads don't make any sense and we can all agree that only the people who loved the game should be allowed to vote.

i'll give it a 9. Great mystery story, good gameplay (QTE are awesome) , interesting characters, nice setting and pretty much everything in the game is good lol. THere are some plot holes which dampened the experience though its just a minor detail. CELEBRATE THE BIRTH OF INTERACTIVE DRAMA!!!

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!