By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Wii succesor first details - Project Butterfly

ultraslick said:

As the idea isnt a bad one, no console manufacturer would ever market a console like this, as sales would never be as large as they could be by releasing new console generations periodically.

If this were true, then this is Nintendo's last console? Hahah, I know this is probably a joke but the premise is kind of a cool one.

Nintendo releases the Butterfly with specs A. These would be comparable to what the PS3/360 have now. It would of course include some new multi camera motion array or more advanced voice controls... anything to have that catch for new gamers.

Then down the road the "Butterfly Wing, (spec B)" releases which can either be baught as a new console or as a component add on that plugs into an expansion port on the original console. All previous games are originally made to be essentially upscaled to new hardware, and once spec B releases past and future games automatically use the new hardware to its greatest advantage. (similar to how games scale according to hardware specs on PC's)

When the next iteration comes along, its simply a new attatchment to replace the old one.

This seems like a way for Nintendo to come out with a new console sooner rather than later and still have the possibility to compete when the PS4 and 720 come along.

... Interesting, even if fake.

while interesting and not exactly a bad idea ... communicating the message of how to upgrade or modify their hardware and deal with compatability issues would be really hard i would think.  i mean, i've seen a mother argue with store staff about why they can't buy Gears of War for their kid's wii.

Around the Network
manuel said:

What's described in the OP is called a "desktop PC" I guess... :P

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.

Skyrim 100%'d. Dark Souls 100%'d. 
Dark Souls > Skyrim.
Halo 4 is the best damn FPS since Halo 3.
Proud pre-orderer of 2 PS4's and an Xbox One. 

Currently Playing: Dark Souls II, South Park
Playstation 4: MGS V GZ, Killzone: Shadow Fall, NBA 2k14.

Already locked one thread, this news is fake, it references Cammie stating something in Feb and as if she still works at Nintendo when she left before Christmas.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000