By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Government Shutdown

twesterm said:
mrstickball said:

What makes me aggrivated the most is that the congressmen/senators are still getting paid.

Most have stated they will not accept thier regular pay, except for one congresswoman, Mrs. Sanchez who said that she lives paycheck to paycheck like most Americans, and cannot afford to go without pay (she makes $174,000 USD/yr by the way).

Yeah, it amazes me that more people aren't up in arms about their salaries.  I don't know what the average pay for DC is, but it can't be worse than California and you can live very decently there for $100k/year.  That $74k alone could mean three people which doesn't seem like a lot compared to the 800,000 that will lose their job (I think that's the numbe isn't it?) but every little bit helps.

I also assume there's lots of reduncancies up there.

Actually, there are a lot of unpaid internships in DC right?  That means the cost of living shouldn't be near California if those people can survive.  I understand people have families but saying $174k year is barely enough means she can probably afford to change her lifestyle stlightly.

It also assumes her husband has no job. There is no way any congressperson should be paid nearly $200,000 benefits. That is nearly twice the federal median for income, and three times the state median for government employees.

In reality, she is incredibly greedy to make such horrible statements. That or just financially retarded. If that is the case, then one has to wonder why she is the one making our rules when she can't live off of ~$174k/yr. Personally, I think that people in such high offices of power should be paid nothing, as the vast majority come from well-to-do jobs. That would weed out the people wanting to do it for the right reasons.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
Lostplanet22 said:
gomezc said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Interesting and sad, in fact I thought at first this was a joke and something like that could not happen..

Then again if you see the debt clock something must be done..and what is planned parenthood exactly? Get a child and don't get financial help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_Parenthood

I didn't think much of it at first either.  Wish I didn't have to :/

Takes also care for abortion...makes sense the replucans would not mind stop funding it...even if the funds are not that high at all..

Taxpayers are spending about $317 million USD a year in propping up Planned Parenthood. It should be de-funded along with most other federal social programs. PP can stand on its own.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Lostplanet22 said:
gomezc said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Interesting and sad, in fact I thought at first this was a joke and something like that could not happen..

Then again if you see the debt clock something must be done..and what is planned parenthood exactly? Get a child and don't get financial help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_Parenthood

I didn't think much of it at first either.  Wish I didn't have to :/

Takes also care for abortion...makes sense the replucans would not mind stop funding it...even if the funds are not that high at all..

Taxpayers are spending about $317 million USD a year in propping up Planned Parenthood. It should be de-funded along with most other federal social programs. PP can stand on its own.

That is nothing compared to what taxpayers are going to lose in income if they don't fix their disagreement in time...  This is more about politics and less about the amount of money they would save...  Have a discussions about it on a later date, if you have a debt increase of 2-4 Billion a day this 317 Million will not save or kill USA..Well that is my opinion..  (Not saying I disagree with you about the part that they need to stop funding it)..

I'm a member of the Armed Force and my C.O. just explained to us today that they will stop paying us after the 8th. I had no clue this was going to happen. It's the first Goverment S/D that the military doesn't get pay. Wonder how they'll explain this to the people who are fighting overseas?

totalwar23 said:

I'm a member of the Armed Force and my C.O. just explained to us today that they will stop paying us after the 8th. I had no clue this was going to happen. It's the first Goverment S/D that the military doesn't get pay. Wonder how they'll explain this to the people who are fighting overseas?

I heard they will get paid, maybe not for the ones who are not doing any service at the moment?  Why should a police officer get paid and someone fighting in Afghanistan not?

Around the Network

tldnr

mrstickball said:

It also assumes her husband has no job.

She's divorced, I believe. There was a persistent rumor last year that she was having an affair with a married defense lobbyist.

Your point stands, though. She's pretty vile.

Lostplanet22 said:

I heard they will get paid, maybe not for the ones who are not doing any service at the moment?  Why should a police officer get paid and someone fighting in Afghanistan not?

Cops are state employees, and soldiers are federal? :3

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

dsister said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Cops are state employees, and soldiers are federal? :3

Yeah you are right, just checked some news, military personal will not get paid,  

This stuff has happened before with Bill Clinton and then it took 21 days..  

As far as Planed Parent Hood goes, it's really about the long term ramifications - what America has learned fro mthe 70's to the 90's is that poorer people have more kids (I wont go into all the reasons) that this program helps protect the lower income house holds and Americans in a long term scenario. In a sense if PP should some who vanish we would see the results of it in about 15 years or so... If anyone remembers the 80's or 90's in the US.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D