By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Toms Hardware re-does all browser tests with Firefox 4 - IE9 still wins

My only problem with Friefox is that is takes too long to startup, otherwise I don't really have any problems. But it's good for something like this to happen to keep them on their toes.

Around the Network

Most impressive

Rainbird said:
disolitude said:
scottie said:

Trololol, it's like two 6 year olds arguing over which of them is more clevererer, while Chrome just sits back and laughs at their foolish antics.

I think Chrome is like a child who can't make up his mind and needs to change versions every week with a new updates.

Regardless of that, its a pretty good browser.

How is the regular update schedule a bad thing? I personally love getting new features and updates in my browser every six weeks or so. It's not like it's sporadic updating or something, which would be much more confusing to me, not to mention the autoupdate makes it a breeze to keep up.

I don't mind updates but its like...don't interupt me once a week for every little change you want to implement and then not even tell me what changed...

Instead how about you get a bunch of things ready and then present me with new features list and ask me if I want to update. No browser update process appeals to me at the moment...

What I like is that there is now genuine competition in the field. It was only a few years back that IE dominated.

Rath said:

What I like is that there is now genuine competition in the field. It was only a few years back that IE dominated.

Maybe in 2002 :)

IE browser has been seen as the slow dying elephant in a world of fast tigers up until IE9.

Around the Network
disolitude said:

I don't mind updates but its like...don't interupt me once a week for every little change you want to implement and then not even tell me what changed...

Instead how about you get a bunch of things ready and then present me with new features list and ask me if I want to update. No browser update process appeals to me at the moment...

Are you running a beta version or something? Because that's exactly what Chrome doesn't do with me. It autoupdates about once every six weeks, and the only reason I notice the update itself is because of news that the new version of Chrome is out. The update itself happens 100% in the background, and I can easily find information on it on the Chrome blog if I want.

I still can't find another browser with the type of add-on support that firefox has,  not as good in funtionality nor variety anyways.

Rainbird said:
disolitude said:

Are you running a beta version or something? Because that's exactly what Chrome doesn't do with me. It autoupdates about once every six weeks, and the only reason I notice the update itself is because of news that the new version of Chrome is out. The update itself happens 100% in the background, and I can easily find information on it on the Chrome blog if I want.

Lately its been every 6 weeks, but before it was every few weeks. Firefox is even worse now. If you have multiple machines at home and at work(which I do), you get sick of it pretty fast.

And what seems like 100% in the background is just that...a Google updater running in the background 100% of the time. Just another .exe which uses up resources I have to deal with at startup.

Like IE does the same thing (hides behind windows update) however it doesn't do it as frequently so when an update happens, I want to see whats new and I don't mind to take the time to see it update...

FF and Chrome on the other hand use up my update patience points very quickly and don't provide many worthwhile things with each update.

disolitude said:

Lately its been every 6 weeks, but before it was every few weeks. Firefox is even worse now. If you have multiple machines at home and at work(which I do), you get sick of it pretty fast.

And what seems like 100% in the background is just that...a Google updater running in the background 100% of the time. Just another .exe which uses up resources I have to deal with at startup.

Like IE does the same thing (hides behind windows update) however it doesn't do it as frequently so when an update happens, I want to see whats new and I don't mind to take the time to see it update...

FF and Chrome on the other hand use up my update patience points very quickly and don't provide many worthwhile things with each update.

Can't say that it's something that bothers me at all, guess it's just a priority matter then.

This isn't win. These are few milli seconds that I couldn't careless about. I'd rather want an "x" milli seconds slower broswer that actually RUNS vgchartz.

We reached the point at whcih all 3 browsers are good enough to use. It's up to you to choose the one that fits your needs.