By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NY Times disses Mario Galaxy.

Galaki said:
famousringo said:
Some people don't get that not every game is about story.

You think Tetris would have been a better game if it had some more character development?

Come on now. Don't deny me/us of Tetris Quest! 

I thought that game was actually Puzzle Quest?

Around the Network

The NY Times talking about games is like IGN talking about the global economy as a whole: They just don't mix!

I don't think the author played any of the video games he wrote about. He may have watched an online trailer or two. Maybe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/23/arts/23schi.html?_r=3&th&emc=th&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

^ The NY Times article

SMG is bad because it's not "new". Excuse me, "genuinely new".
" But now that the Nintendo developer Shigeru Miyamoto has gotten the Wii incarnations of his Mario and Zelda series out of the way, perhaps he will turn to creating something genuinely new. "

Mass Effect is good because:
"But with its focus on character development, personal growth and moral tension, all fueled by a graphics system created to evoke emotional empathy, Mass Effect points the way forward."

Ummm... The author needs to spend a bit of time with children's story books if he thinks this is new. Example, "The Little Train That Could", character development, personal growth and moral tension, all fueled by a graphics system created to evoke emotional empathy (ie pictures) or most any Disney / Pixar animated movie.

Of course, he did favor that:
" Analogies can be overworn, but playing Ratchet is actually like playing an animated film, and that’s a rare thing."

Maybe if only the cut scenes were just a bit longer, replacing all of that annoying game stuff you have to do in between them.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

It's articles like these that prove that my opinion means more.

Then again, they didn't really insult the game. But the game is too different from its predecessors to be considered "just another Mario game," and it's too grand to be anything "unambitious."

Around the Network

I think im the only one on this board that agrees with them. Lets face mario has never been about about story and that what the article was about. Its not like they didnt "dis" halo 3 as well.

but they are summing up the game by its story, even if the focus is that the story isn't good, they are saying that because of that the game is well.. what they said

You guys are all unambitious for sticking with the same old letters and words. Not me, look:

ekbk nuifufn dkf@@ku nn!na; byb33hbn suj

See that ambition?

@VAMP:

Bah, I'm unimpressed; I've seen all those characters used before. Try harder next time!

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

but they were used in an innovative way..to make jibberish