By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Final-Fan said:
theprof00 said:

I'm confused. Are you claiming mason?

You're joking, right? 

If not,
A.  No, that would be moronic.  I could just as well as if you're claiming mason and asking if I'm a mason that somehow didn't make it onto your "safe list". 

B.  No, it's only a "personal note" in that it's a commentary on my personal opinion of that rule variation, which I condemn.  I shared it to try to illustrate my feelings about the subject of townies lying in mafia.  Sometimes it's necessary, but I think that when it can be avoided, it should be. 

The whole purpose of masons IMO is to have a faction of townies that not only doesn't have to lie, but can share every suspicion, trust, opinion of power roles, etc. without fear of betraying information to the enemy.  A variation involving enemy infiltration of such a faction is retarded

But that's slightly off-topic:  what's relevant is that a mason who lies to other masons is IMO crazy, and I have had a somewhat similar feeling about you.  But now you say that you've turned over a new leaf (no gambits), and last game was a special circumstance due to your power role, and I'm willing to run with that. 

I see, THAT'S how it's relevant. I really wasn't sure what you were going for. You know that that variation is one of the most despised in all of mafia, right? In fact, in the true variation, the mod specifically tells the masons that they can trust each other.

So you're likening me to a scum mason, well then... I have really no rebuttal for that lol

Around the Network
Wonktonodi said:

I asked becuase bringing all that up to make you point on prof was a bit out there

1.  This has been a long-running and serious clash between me and prof, and if telling a little story can help us understand each other, it's a small price to pay indeed. 

2.  I wasn't kidding, that variant boils my blood.  So I probably spent a little longer on the subject than was really necessary. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

theprof00 said:
Final-Fan said:

One last thing:  this is a personal note that I hope will illuminate my attitude on this subject. 

The variation on Masons -- a townie faction that can talk to each other at night -- wherein one of the masons is in fact a mafia member ENRAGES me.  The entire point of the Mason faction is a group of townies that can totally trust each other and work together for the good of the town.  If they have (or potentially have) a mafia among them, it defeats the purpose and turns them virtually into a game of Mafia within a larger game of Mafia.  That's just stupid. 

If we were masons together, and I had to wonder if you were lying to me, that would just be stupid. 

I'm half asleep writing a paper and even I realized he was using the mason analogy with a mafia within as disruptive force -comparing it to your playstyle. Or at least that' how I read it.

Don't mind me. *goes back to homework

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

theprof00 said:
Final-Fan said:
theprof00 said:

You're joking, right? 

If not,
A.  No, that would be moronic.  I could just as well as if you're claiming mason and asking if I'm a mason that somehow didn't make it onto your "safe list". 

B.  No, it's only a "personal note" in that it's a commentary on my personal opinion of that rule variation, which I condemn.  I shared it to try to illustrate my feelings about the subject of townies lying in mafia.  Sometimes it's necessary, but I think that when it can be avoided, it should be. 

The whole purpose of masons IMO is to have a faction of townies that not only doesn't have to lie, but can share every suspicion, trust, opinion of power roles, etc. without fear of betraying information to the enemy.  A variation involving enemy infiltration of such a faction is retarded

But that's slightly off-topic:  what's relevant is that a mason who lies to other masons is IMO crazy, and I have had a somewhat similar feeling about you.  But now you say that you've turned over a new leaf (no gambits), and last game was a special circumstance due to your power role, and I'm willing to run with that. 

I see, THAT'S how it's relevant. I really wasn't sure what you were going for. You know that that variation is one of the most despised in all of mafia, right? In fact, in the true variation, the mod specifically tells the masons that they can trust each other.

So you're likening me to a scum mason, well then... I have really no rebuttal for that lol

LOL no, I'm saying I have sometimes felt like it's as bad as if we were masons (not mafia masons) and you were lying to me for whatever insane reason, because I have felt I can't trust what you say even if I knew 100% that you were town. 

And I'm glad to hear that. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

theprof00 said:
Wonktonodi said:
theprof00 said:
Final-Fan said:

One last thing:  this is a personal note that I hope will illuminate my attitude on this subject. 

The variation on Masons -- a townie faction that can talk to each other at night -- wherein one of the masons is in fact a mafia member ENRAGES me.  The entire point of the Mason faction is a group of townies that can totally trust each other and work together for the good of the town.  If they have (or potentially have) a mafia among them, it defeats the purpose and turns them virtually into a game of Mafia within a larger game of Mafia.  That's just stupid. 

If we were masons together, and I had to wonder if you were lying to me, that would just be stupid. 

as thepof once told me scum are often quick to respond to things. I don't intend on doing this much more but I won't make any promises.

Don't worry, I'm making a note of your comments, myself.

Also, you fail to realize the main purpose of bringing up tells. To make mafia think you're in their face. Tells themselves are hardly worth anything, but in the right situations, they are very handy to know.

For example, and I'm willing to sacrifice this one to WIFOM, because last game all 4th voters were scum, mafia are probably going to avoid that 4th vote. They have GIVEN the tell power. However, now that I say it, it will further be impossible to predict due to WIFOM. However, had I not said it, I could;ve had a pretty reliable town tell. You'll learn in time wonk.

Much of what you like to call tells is just you find coincidences. One game they killed gaymers two nights in a row. I joked that they would do it again. They did but that doesn't make it mean anything. Plus if something is supposed to be a tell it should be something that is true with scum but not with town. Most of your tells with trucks last game could have applied to me as well so it makes the argument seemed forced and fake(and it was you knew he was scum by other means)

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
Wonktonodi said:

I asked becuase bringing all that up to make you point on prof was a bit out there

1.  This has been a long-running and serious clash between me and prof, and if telling a little story can help us understand each other, it's a small price to pay indeed. 

2.  I wasn't kidding, that variant boils my blood.  So I probably spent a little longer on the subject than was really necessary. 

1. I see that now, he seems to clash with many here. I was thinking of running my idea of what you were doing in my question, but I thing that letting you clarify would be better.

2. I agree, and it was with that extra time you spent on in that made me thing you might be complaining to Heph for not being clear on if there could be an infiltrator or not. 

Wonktonodi said:

Much of what you like to call tells is just you find coincidences. One game they killed gaymers two nights in a row. I joked that they would do it again. They did but that doesn't make it mean anything. Plus if something is supposed to be a tell it should be something that is true with scum but not with town. Most of your tells with trucks last game could have applied to me as well so it makes the argument seemed forced and fake(and it was you knew he was scum by other means)

Let go of the black and white wonk. The world is filled with millions of shades of grey.

Name me one tell that works with scum but not with town accurately. THEY DON'T EXIST! Everyone is different!

Tells are situational. Just because you exhibited some scum tells doesn't mean  that there aren't other tells proving you town! Your whole insistence on me being scum was a town tell. No mafia would EVER go out of their way to get a townie lynched. Never in a million years! But, I would've still night-killed you for being potentially misleading to the town (even though I eventually decided not to do anything).

Even when you were saying that I was exhibiting those same tells; you were right! I HAD SOMETHING TO HIDE!

Final-Fan said:
Wonktonodi said:

1. I see that now, he seems to clash with many here. I was thinking of running my idea of what you were doing in my question, but I thing that letting you clarify would be better.

2. I agree, and it was with that extra time you spent on in that made me thing you might be complaining to Heph for not being clear on if there could be an infiltrator or not. 

Wonktonodi said:
Final-Fan said:
Wonktonodi said:

that's exactly what I thought.

Final-Fan said:

LOL no, I'm saying I have sometimes felt like it's as bad as if we were masons (not mafia masons) and you were lying to me for whatever insane reason, because I have felt I can't trust what you say even if I knew 100% that you were town. 

And I'm glad to hear that. 

I feel like we've bonded.

But you know, despite lashing out at you, and being ridiculous, I liked when you attacked me because it was such a reliable town tell.

Can't really be sure of that now, but in the past it's been a great comfort.