By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 v 360 Gap Chart (with projection)

Sr.Bangsalot said:
hehey said:

One word, Holidays, this Kinect thing looks to be the next Wii like sensation, i predict that any gap PS3 makes this year wont be big enough to not be blown out of the water come christmas by Kinect, unless sorcery turns out to be awesome and starts selling Move like crazy its the only logical conclusion.

My money is on kinect running out of steam 6 months into the year at most end of the year I really can't see kinect going for 5 

Based on what?, were almost 3 months into the year already and Kinect is still doing amazingly.

Around the Network
hehey said:
Sr.Bangsalot said:
hehey said:

One word, Holidays, this Kinect thing looks to be the next Wii like sensation, i predict that any gap PS3 makes this year wont be big enough to not be blown out of the water come christmas by Kinect, unless sorcery turns out to be awesome and starts selling Move like crazy its the only logical conclusion.

My money is on kinect running out of steam 6 months into the year at most end of the year I really can't see kinect going for 5 

Based on what?, were 3 months into the year already and Kinect is still doing amazingly.

I just think it will take that long for people to realize no super amazing revolutionary games are coming for it 

Sr.Bangsalot said:
hehey said:
Sr.Bangsalot said:
hehey said:

Based on what?, were 3 months into the year already and Kinect is still doing amazingly.

I just think it will take that long for people to realize no super amazing revolutionary games are coming for it 

the casual consumer doesnt give a shit, Kinect Adventures and the like is all the revolutionary they need to buy it.

see Wii sports and the like for an example of what im talking bout.

hehey said:
Sr.Bangsalot said:
hehey said:
Sr.Bangsalot said:
hehey said:

the casual consumer doesnt give a shit, Kinect Adventures and the like is all the revolutionary they need to buy it.

the casual consumer already has wii, people buying kinect are people with old 360s who think it's going to revolutionize gaming

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network
Sr.Bangsalot said:
hehey said:
Sr.Bangsalot said:
hehey said:
Sr.Bangsalot said:
hehey said:

the casual consumer already has wii, people buying kinect are people with old 360s who think it's going to revolutionize gaming

NPD doesn't say so, as 3/5 of 360 sold are kinect bundles.

Kynes said:
Sr.Bangsalot said:
hehey said:
Sr.Bangsalot said:
hehey said:
Sr.Bangsalot said:
hehey said:

But do they buy X360 because they want Kinect or do they buy Kinect bundle because shortages don't leave them much choice?

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:
Kynes said:
Sr.Bangsalot said:
hehey said:
Sr.Bangsalot said:
hehey said:
Sr.Bangsalot said:
hehey said:

But do they buy X360 because they want Kinect or do they buy Kinect bundle because shortages don't leave them much choice?

Do you really think people who already have a X360 are going to spend US$ 300 to buy another 360 kinect, only because there is a shortage of standalone kinects? Then the games attach rate is even more impressive.

postofficebuddy said:

It's likely going to be a similar scenario to what happened in September 09 - June 10 when 360 and PS3 cut price again. 360 is about to close in on saturation in North America and a price cut will likely have a similar impact to the price cut that DS had last year (ie. almost no impact). PS3 will probably pick up a huge amount of steam this year, particularly in Europe, if it sees a £50/€60 cut.

interesting

Sensei said:

I think something that most "gap" threads miss is that the larger the install bases are, the less difference said gap is making.

Back when 360 had say, 10 million install base and PS3 had 5 million, that's double the install base, which might be significant for a developer, for example, to decide on making a game exclusive for one system.

Now, with one console at around 55 million, and other at 50 million, the difference is a mere 10%. Such difference tends to get even lower as long as they continue selling, so I think even if PS3 doesn't surpass the 360 anymore, it just doesn't matter. MS managed to get its great marketshare, and Sony managed to prevent the PS3 from failing.

i agree