By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crysis 2 review thread

This is the place for the media reviews as they come in.

Gamereactor

"The amount of detail is insane, and the effects are incredible. The console versions are, of course, not as fancy as on the PC, but they are still fighting for the top spots when it comes to being the graphical kings for their respective formats."

9/10

Official Playstation Magazine

"excellent - technically strong, visually outstanding and full of welcome fresh ideas. Developer Crytek has a deserved reputation for pushing gaming hardware to the brink and its debut work on PS3 is first-rate,"

8/10

IGN.com

"This is the best-looking console game to date. It eschews the dark, hyper-filtered visual style of games like Killzone and Gears of War for beautiful, ubiquitous light. Light isn't directed in Crysis 2, it cascades -- over buildings, through trees and glass, reflecting and bouncing around levels in a way you haven't seen in a game before. "

9/10

Gamespot

"Crysis 2 looks superb, though perhaps not as groundbreaking as you might expect from the sequel to one of the best-looking games ever created. Perhaps its most astounding feat is that it displays so much on the screen at once and that distant objects are rendered with more detail than you would typically expect. Look closely and you begin to appreciate the details. Birds strut on the pavement and then fly off as you approach. Alien dropships cast ominous shadows on pockmarked concrete and abandoned taxicabs. There are multiple stunning sights, such as a nighttime vista of the burning metropolis from a famed island in the East River."

8.5/10

Gametrailers

"Crysis 2 is one of those games that you just have to stop and stare at every now and then. Water, smoke, and flames all look fantastic. There's an emphasis on lighting as glare shines through windows, and you'll witness huge structures collapsing regularly. Characters look more natural than the leather-faced protagonists of the first game, although some do look better than others.

While the game certainly looks best on PC, the console versions aren't far behind."

9/10

Videogamer.com

"And while that might sound like a horrible ordeal, spare a thought for the little pixies working overtime inside your 360, PC or PS3 to actually render the weight of Crysis 2's spectacle.

Much of the legend behind the original Crysis revolves around its engine's formidable technical prowess, a fact Crysis 2 gives a cheeky nod to during the opening credits. Crytek is certainly not one to play down the magnitude of its accomplishment here, mind, with a sultry woman bleating "achieved with CryEngine 3" every time you start the game, as if bringing this sequel to fruition was Hercules' secret thirteenth task and that humanity's response should be to carve Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli's face into the side of Mount Rushmore

Crysis 2's artistic expertise tends to get lost behind the weight of the game's technical fortitude, however, which is always a shame because the things Crytek's designers can do with shaders and rendering techniques (and other technical jargon I genuinely don't understand) really needs to be seen to be believed. Hercules might have managed to slay the Stymphalian Birds, but Crysis 2 could probably render them falling from the sky in real-time before collapsing a recognisable landmark on their bronze beaks."

9/10

Joystiq

"Make no mistake, Crysis 2 answers the "Will it run?" question definitively. Though about the millionth FPS built around a plot of an alien invasion, give or take a few, it's also the most beautiful"

8/10

Giant Bomb

"I figure that it's pretty likely that you'll want to know how this game stacks up to the open-world and high-tech legacy of its predecessor. Direct comparisons might not be terribly favorable if you hold the first game in high regard, but when removed from that context, there are a lot of great moments in Crysis 2. "

Strategy Informer

"Crysis 2 is bloody gorgeous, and by far one of the most polished games we've ever played. Watching the cityscape come crashing down around you in all its HD glory is quite the sight, especially in some of the more open areas midway through the main campaign. Whether you've diving across rooftops or making your way into the heart of an alien hive, it's all jaw-dropping throughout. "

8/10

Eurogamer

"But this world sits next to Uncharted 2's as the most detailed and well-expressed yet seen on our TVs. we reviewed from the 360 version "

8/10

Cynamite

"Crysis is a great shooter and brings the current generation to its limits. The visuals offered are some of the best you will ever see and the gameplay doesn't lack behind. You won't be disappointed"
9/10

1UP.com

"Though it seemed unlikely an equally impressive follow-up could be created on console, developer Crytek has delivered a sequel that captures many ideas of the original game, and implements a few new ones as well. But most importantly, Crysis 2 is just as visually impressive as its predecessor, even on PS3 and 360."

Spazio Games

" Best Graphics on Console "

9/10

Cynamite

"Takes the current generation right to it's limit. Some of the best visuals your ever going to see. You wont be dissapointed"

9/10

360 Achievements

"Stunning. Simply stunning in every aspect. Who says console games had reached a plateau?"

9/10

MS Xbox World

"Crysis may have been the benchmark game on PC but for console owners there might be a new kid on the block as Crysis 2 really is a sight to behold."
9/10

Around the Network

OXM gave it a 9/10 too didn't it?

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

i played crysis because i bought an new PC and it was 20 dollars and i could max it and the gameplay was average. The stealth was Boring!!! and annoying because running out and punching everyone or doing things in the trailer were impossible because as soon as you are spotted there are an million billion enemies and those helicopters shooting at you. Still it was fun but the missions were slap dash and anti climatic. 

Have they fixed the problems in Crysis 2 with the stealth and poor mission choices and giving the oppunity to use the powers without them running out in an nano second of using them. 

Or was this an review by blinded graphical whores who dont understand that the grpahics wow ness runs out in about 10 minutes. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

I sure as hell hope this game has decent gameplay, I personally couldn't give a tiny rat's ass in regards to graphics

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

For $60 I expect cutting edge graphics and excellent gameplay. There are enough choices out there to where I don't have to settle for one or the other. Thats just me.

I hope this game at least succeeds on the 360 to provide a true, high-quality gaming experience. I know it ain't going to happen on the PS3 with this game.

Interesting to see if the review scores will reflect this.

Around the Network

This an interesting review. It is based on the 360 version, and they had all 3 versions available to make comparisons. They gave it a 90/100.

• PS3 and 360 are not as far apart as IGN says
  • 360 is superior to PS3 version
  • CryEngine 3 does not use the PS3's additional processing architecture (I assume SPUs)
  • PC version is far better than either console
  • PC uses DirectX 9
  • Crysis Warhead has better graphics on max PC settings
  • Best 3D solution of any game to date, better solution than Sony 3D
http://www.gamereactor.se/recensioner/26491/Crysis 2/

I am still wondering if this games graphics will look good?

Crossing my fingers that the make both games of equal quality on the HD machines. 

Unfortunatly ,there are too many good games coming out right now and I will have to wait on this one.

i really enjoyed the gameplay from the pc demo. 

Pjams said:

This an interesting review. It is based on the 360 version, and they had all 3 versions available to make comparisons. They gave it a 90/100.

• PS3 and 360 are not as far apart as IGN says
  • 360 is superior to PS3 version
  • CryEngine 3 does not use the PS3's additional processing architecture (I assume SPUs)
  • PC version is far better than either console
  • PC uses DirectX 9
  • Crysis Warhead has better graphics on max PC settings
  • Best 3D solution of any game to date, better solution than Sony 3D
http://www.gamereactor.se/recensioner/26491/Crysis 2/

LOL WTF man! Please tell me they're patching this shit post release to be DX11 compatible? Heck even Shogun 2 is getting that this HAS to get it.

O fficially OXM 9/10.

Now on Metacritic.

"Crysis 2 skates on the thin ice of its own excellence. There are weaknesses, that might - if the mode-swapping suitplay hadn't been so strong - have dragged the game down. But the story and combat [are] strong enough to carry you through, and if you've got the stomach for competitive multiplayer, the Nanosuit will bring a new world of sneaky, high-jumping tactics to your online game."