By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony hoping to cut PS3 price

Sony is hopeful that the Suggested Retail Price of PS3 may be due another drop at some point in the near future.

The console's 160GB model currently sells for £250, whilst the 320GB SKU carries a £285 tag.

And after Sony dropped the price of its PSP in the US last month, now SCEE UK boss Ray Maguire has hinted that the handheld's big brother might also be due a discount.

"PS3 has taken longer than PS2 to establish itself simply because of the cost of the product," he told the latest issue of OPM UK. "It's been a challenge for us to get the costs down over the years. The retail price has been more than we would have liked... Hopefully the price might still come down."

Maguire told OPM that PS3 has been built to be constantly "evolving" - which is "why we keep having upgrades". 

Maguire added: "It gets adopted, then it gets redeveloped, so you keep on upgrading everything as you go along. I think that's part of its success and the longevity of it. 

"I did think we were taking a big risk in PS3 by making it so heavy featured. As it turned out, I now think it was a stroke of genius, because it's given PS3 the ability to go on year after year."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/293240/news/sony-hoping-to-cut-ps3-price/

I've suspected we'll be seeing a price cut for a little while now. As the article points out the PSP price cut, and also the recent cut to the Torne bundle in Japan, suggest that one is coming sooner rather than later. Last fall I even suspected that there might have been a small one specifically for Europe/PAL since Sony is making larger margins over there.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

Around the Network

"Hopefully the price might still come down.""

I'm sorry, what kind of stupid comment is this?

"
"It gets adopted, then it gets redeveloped, so you keep on upgrading everything as you go along. I think that's part of its success and the longevity of it. "

... don't features get taken away with new models?

Seece said:

The price to produce the product so they can sell it cheaper, not so stupid if you ask me :D

Seece said:

"
"It gets adopted, then it gets redeveloped, so you keep on upgrading everything as you go along. I think that's part of its success and the longevity of it. "

... don't features get taken away with new models?

Seece, just admit it already, you want one too.

CGI-Quality said:

Would be a nice move to help pump up their massive 2011 line-up!

Is it really so massive with Guardian and Twisted Metal postponed to 2012?

Can u provide a list (lol)?

KZ3
LBP2

What else is to come?

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
CGI-Quality said:

KZ3
LBP2

What else is to come?

are you kidding?

PS3 alread was the best selling console in 2011.

If a price cut happen then PS3 won the year.

reported.

I trust no one, not even myself.

TT Makaveli said:
Slimebeast said:
CGI-Quality said:

KZ3
LBP2

What else is to come?

are you kidding?

What?

Yeah I know Infamous 2 Motorstorm 3 and Resistence 3 are coming, but they're not that big games. Well Infamous 2 is.

Guardian and Tw Metal are more important to PS3 as I see it.

if there is a price cut i might be able to get my friends in the usa to pick it up =D

Playstation All-Stars is one of the best games I've played this gen, and is the most fun I've had in a game this gen.