By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The "reviews are not master of our opinions" group.

I buy whatever the hell I want so, I guess I'm in?

Around the Network

I fought against the nefarious group SPECIAL in my most recent thread. 

They are responsible for these reviews.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

im in too i made a thread awhile ago about ignoring reviews altogether, boy that got shit on though

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

I was starting to think I was the only one who did this. Count me in!

DYNASTY WARRIORS FTW!!!

I am the Playstation Avenger.

i bought,finished and enjoyed Kane & lynch 2

i guess i'm in

Above & Beyond

Around the Network

lol i havent read a review for a game on a system i own in so long. maybe ps1?

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

Reviewers don't decide what I want to play.

Nintendo does.

ill play devils advacote and say that review are important, gives you a taste of what most people think and the general consensus on the game. I dont get every game that scores 80 or above. I got time crisis razing storm and that got meh reviews. oh sure you can make the argument that you could get the demos, but sometimes the demos dont give a full sense of the end product of a game and in some cases there arent even demos at all all. (looking at you Wii/DS) Hell just dont read reviews if it pisses you off that much. Im not liking the emphasis companies put on the reviews either 

oniyide said:

ill play devils advacote and say that review are important, gives you a taste of what most people think and the general consensus on the game(1). I dont get every game that scores 80 or above. I got time crisis razing storm and that got meh reviews. oh sure you can make the argument that you could get the demos, but sometimes the demos dont give a full sense of the end product of a game and in some cases there arent even demos at all all. (looking at you Wii/DS) Hell just dont read reviews if it pisses you off that much(2). Im not liking the emphasis companies put on the reviews either 

1. That assumes that reviewers are the opinion of the majority, and that has not been proven. Even a game that sells well and has good reviews only proves correlation, not causation.

2. No, it's the insisting that reviews sell games, and it's our fault if sales don't agree with reviews, that pisses me off.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I agree fully but reviews are very helpful though. If a game gets 3/10's across the board that's a good sign its awful.

I really wish there wasn't so much pressure on getting 9.5's and anything under a 9 being considered shitty. The rating system is super fucking flawed. They really need to change the ranking system so they can more fairly judge games. If I was a reviewer I would have it so anything under a 3 is unplayable, 3-5 is bad but might work for some people, 5-6 is a game with some issues but still can be fun, 6-7 is a decent game, 7-8 is a good game with only a couple flaws, 8-8.5 is a great game with very few (if any) flaws, 8.5-9 is a fantastic game with maybe 1 or 2 problems tops, and over a 9 is a flawless or near flawless game.

Sorry about that big wall of text, i'm kinda drunk right now and not at my full posting potential.